Player conduct and contracts

Brandon will soon sit down with Hardy's agent and others to do contracts. Are special provisions put into contract for players who have had conduct problems? I would want lot's of incentives in his and some other peoples contracts. Revocation of bonus payments if suspended is one i would want in.

I would want them to spend a certain number of days in Buffalo and not at home.

Anyone have knowledge of special provisions in player contracts? Is it common?

Brandon will soon sit down with Hardy's agent and others to do contracts. Are special provisions put into contract for players who have had conduct problems? I would want lot's of incentives in his and some other peoples contracts. Revocation of bonus payments if suspended is one i would want in.

After the antics of WR Carl Pickens several years ago, CIN included "conduct detrimental to the team" language in their contracts, which included return of bonus money.

They canned punter Lee Johnson for criticizing the coaching (he was right, btw).

However, the player's union demanded that such language be prohibited, and it was in the new CBA.

If Ocho Dinko were to run his mouth under previous contract conditions, I've little doubt that Mike Brown &Co. would sue #85 for 10 million or so, then roll him down the staircase and out the door.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that if the Bills, or any other team for that matter, want to lower their standards on a player's character for the sake of their ability than they should load their contracts with conduct provisions. This is too big of a business and these players get paid quite handsomely to not have guidelines on assuring their organization of being available to play.

I think that if the Bills, or any other team for that matter, want to lower their standards on a player's character for the sake of their ability than they should load their contracts with conduct provisions. This is too big of a business and these players get paid quite handsomely to not have guidelines on assuring their organization of being available to play.

Every player in the NFL is bound by the conduct policy in the collective bargaining agreement which holds them to strict standards and permits the commissioner to be both judge and jury. Here's a link.

http://www.purplepride.org/nfl/conduct.cfm