Awarding Purple Heart to veterans with PTSD?

scribo

If this has been going on since Vietnam, why hasn't near solid DEM control of Congress until 1992 solved this problem? What Bills did they pass? If they did, which President vetoed them??? :censored:

Facts are always welcome!

Actually the VA is managed as part of the executive branch of the government. Let's see who has been running that baby for the last eight years...hmmm....oh wait a minute...the guy in the flight suit under the mission accomplished sign with his digit up his nose! and he's a Republican, last time I looked. Maybe his clone McCain will have some idea how to deal with this.

I don't know how you get that this has been going on since vietnam. I'm just saying getting a freaking purple heart in lieu of treatment is what's going on now.

If this has been going on since Vietnam, why hasn't near solid DEM control of Congress until 1992 solved this problem? What Bills did they pass? If they did, which President vetoed them??? :lol:

Facts are always welcome!

My father is 100% DAV... He never had any problems at the VA. The influx of young people coming in the past 5 years has been noticable and disturbing though.

:censored:

Actually the Iraqi vets are not getting adequate mental health treatment either for PTSD or Traumatic Brain Injury. Take the money for your friggin medals and get them the screening and treatment they need.

We used to have a Christmas song in Vietnam..

"Jingle Bells, Mortar shells, Charlie's in the Grass...

Take your f-ing christmas cookis, stick em up your ass!"

Actually I kind of feel the same way about the purple hearts.

What do you mean OIF vets aren't receiving adequate mental health treatment? Are you an OIF vet? Do you mean that the VA isn't providing it or that the vets are coming forward for it? There is a big difference, and the public should know that the VA happens to be offering the very best mental health care available right now, but veterans, especially the younger OIF vets, aren't seeking the help until families, jobs and home are lost -- until they are in it deep.

As for the politics of this, I believe the VA is underdfunded, but really no president or political party has been able to do enough to beat PTSD.

PTSD is a major problem with many of our Vets, but I do not feel they ahould be awarded the PH for it. Shoot, in the Army they give just about everyone from NCO on up a Bronze Star just for 'being there'. But I won't turn this into a rant on medal abuse. A commanders job is to get his unit ready for deployment and battle and while I don't believe they intentionally would overlook PTSD in their Marines, the whole culture is one of "suck it up and continue to march". This probably leads to some Marines and Soldiers being overlooked.

I do believe the help is there for those afflicted and that the VA by and large does a great job. I have no desire to turn this into a political rant either.

PTSD has always been a byproduct of exposure to the worst that mankind has to offer, but back in the day they called it shell shock...

What do you mean OIF vets aren't receiving adequate mental health treatment? Are you an OIF vet? Do you mean that the VA isn't providing it or that the vets are coming forward for it? There is a big difference, and the public should know that the VA happens to be offering the very best mental health care available right now, but veterans, especially the younger OIF vets, aren't seeking the help until families, jobs and home are lost -- until they are in it deep.

As for the politics of this, I believe the VA is underdfunded, but really no president or political party has been able to do enough to beat PTSD.

Actually I work with a VA center affiliated with our university with a major PTSD program. We don't do enough.

The past president didn't do enough. This president has done a lot less.