Recycling is actually BAD

Fingon

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say that I particularly care how much oil we either save or don't save in that process. I would support recycling plastics simply because they will be around forever. "proper disposal" as someone else called for is throwing it into a sanctioned hole. You can go back to that hole in thousands of years and find your water bottle from yesterday. Why shouldn't we try to keep the bottle out of that hole given that we know it will never biodegrade? It's not the same with paper or even metals. Those are biodegradable and will, in time, return to the soil. If we choose to throw those away and make new ones because there is less opportunity cost that's fine.

Why, when the have the means not to, would we want to just make mountains and mountains of plastic? I'd rather burn the oil to keep the plastic out of the landfill than use the oil to make more plastic to go into the hole of "proper disposal".

What's funny is, eventually, there will be no more oil. Maybe not today maybe not for awhile, but eventually it will happen. how much do you want to bet that we then start harvesting landfills for plastics to recycle since, even if it takes 1,000 years to use all the oil, the plastic will still be there.

If I remember the episode of bull sh-- correctly it debuncted that point by saying that there is more toxic waste created from melting them down then just throwing them away.

Do you know what Fleece is composed of? I bike year round, no matter the season- thanks to fleece. Fleece keeps me warm when I ski. Fleece keeps me warm when I sleep. Recycling is very good, and we all need to get better. I am cognizant and try, and I still need to get better. If all of us got smarter and more green- it would be great for the planet

Thank the Lord for sheep?

I call bull sh--. That wouldn't even hold Newark.

I am not so sure Tom... I have been working next to the one in South Chicago next to I-94 for about twenty years and I can see the thing growing... Yet, not that much and I think it handles the whole Chicago area?

Vertical feet has to be approaching maybe 80 feet... 20 years ago, from my non-expert opinion it was about maybe half that...

And it is nowhere near 35 square miles maybe 2 if at most under 5...

35 square miles is huge! Now mix in the amount of vertical they can take that area. You'd be amazed at how slow it actually grows. It isn't almost flat like when I started working here with the Corps... But, it is nowwhere near the capacity it can reach!

Now mix in the electricity that is generated from the methane...

They have so much room to expand even in this little area/footprint.

Almost 40 miles is huge!

Just sayinig from my layman's observation.

Utter bull sh--. Where are you pulling these numbers from?

NO!

Note my post above... I have been working near the Chicago area's main landfill for almost 20 years and you can barely notice it going up... Really.

The only way I could tell is if I remember back... And even in around 1990, it was still kinda tall vertical feet wise.

I'd say they have easily another 100 or more years befor capacity (that is IF they (the enviro nuts) let them with out restraining them... Waste Management that is).

I am not so sure Tom... I have been working next to the one in South Chicago next to I-94 for about twenty years and I can see the thing growing... Yet, not that much and I think it handles the whole Chicago area?

Vertical feet has to be approaching maybe 80 feet... 20 years ago, from my non-expert opinion it was about maybe half that...

And it is nowhere near 35 square miles maybe 2 if at most under 5...

35 square miles is huge! Now mix in the amount of vertical they can take that area. You'd be amazed at how slow it actually grows. It isn't almost flat like when I started working here with the Corps... But, it is nowwhere near the capacity it can reach!

Now mix in the electricity that is generated from the methane...

They have so much room to expand even in this little area/footprint.

Almost 40 miles is huge!

Just sayinig from my layman's observation.

I meant the entire city of Newark.

But hey, thanks for spoiling my joke. :unsure:

:blink:

I meant the entire city of Newark.

But hey, thanks for spoiling my joke. :lol:

:D

:unsure: Sorry!

I was just thinking about how big 35 square miles x 200 ft. vertical would be... That's huge! Here they have been active on at least this little square patch (just one part of the complex) for as long as I can remember (yes, almost 20 years)... And I would say it is only 80' on a .5 square mile footprint... And I know I am over estimating the vertical (I am going by the telephone poles... Yes, the telephone poles! :nana::wallbash: )... People who have lived here all their life think it is like 200 feet high... :unsure::blink: I may even be way off, it may only be half that... Vertical is hard to visualize... The Sear's Tower is just a 1/4 higher than our lock chamber is long... Not even 2/3rd's high as our whole approach area is long!

My point? Besides rambling and spoiling jokes... People really misjudge area and especially how vertical something is!

I should just walk next door and get the whole specs... It will probably blow people's mind how really small it is!