Recycling is actually BAD

Fingon

It's actually really interesting, recycling most products costs more than using raw materials. Also, if we put all our garbage, over the last 100 years, into one landfill, it would be 35 square miles and 200 feet high. Videos are kinda NSFW as there is a lot of swearing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KHAuU5JjRyQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=if2MfYqJgAI&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jtex699GyEc&feature=related

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recycling... Is Garbage.

Bit of a long read, but this article makes a good case that there are plenty of people more interested in a boondoggle with land deals or 'action groups' that take donations and moneylaunder it around or those who get off on making people apologize for living and feel bad about themselves than doing things that are good for the environment.

Recycling some items is a net-loss enterprise at this point, such as for gloss paper, plastics, etc. But for other items, it's pretty easy and worthwhile, such as plain newsprint; metals that can be melted and reformed (scrap metal is bigtime right now eg brass, copper, aluminum); wood that can be chopped up for OSB, etc.

Bit of a long read, but this article makes a good case that there are plenty of people more interested in a boondoggle with land deals or 'action groups' that take donations and moneylaunder it around or those who get off on making people apologize for living and feel bad about themselves than doing things that are good for the environment.

Be careful what you say about the recycling/environmentalist/global warming people. It's like that game when you were a kid and everybody stood in front of a mirror trying to summon forth Bloody Marry, Candy Man, or Biggie Smalls.

If you keep bad mouthing the Globalwarmenvirecycling crowd, one of these days when you least expect it and are looking in the mirror, don't be surprised if you see a half man/half bear/half pig, or half manbear/half pig, or half pigman/half bear, or something ready to tear you limb from limb

:rolleyes:

Be careful what you say about the recycling/environmentalist/global warming people. It's like that game when you were a kid and everybody stood in front of a mirror trying to summon forth Bloody Marry, Candy Man, or Biggie Smalls.

If you keep bad mouthing the Globalwarmenvirecycling crowd, one of these days when you least expect it and are looking in the mirror, don't be surprised if you see a half man/half bear/half pig, or half manbear/half pig, or half pigman/half bear, or something ready to tear you limb from limb

:rolleyes:

that actually happened to my sisters friends, co-workers, cousins, doctors, nieces, teachers, mothers, employees, best friend, honest to god truth!

:blink:

:rolleyes::w00t:

I love the Penn and Teller Bullsh!t series. The recycling, Wal-Mart, and Gun Control episodes are some of my favorites.

I love the show too though I find that sometimes(on some topics) they put forward opposing views which are just as slanted in bias as the ones they are trying to counter.......i.e. it leaves me feeling that they are just as bad as 'nuts' they are bashing.

Good show though. :blink:

Recycling... Is Garbage.

Recycling some items is a net-loss enterprise at this point, such as for gloss paper, plastics, etc. But for other items, it's pretty easy and worthwhile, such as plain newsprint; metals that can be melted and reformed (scrap metal is bigtime right now eg brass, copper, aluminum); wood that can be chopped up for OSB, etc.

Exactly. There is little doubt that recycling of metal is good. There is increasing controversy about the rest.

Buy in glass instead.

Screw bottle-deposit bills, though. Ask yourselves why New York doesn't have very many glass factories left, and why most of the wine bottled in the Finger Lakes goes into glass made in Pennsylvania. Hint: it's not a coincidence...

Do you know what Fleece is composed of? I bike year round, no matter the season- thanks to fleece. Fleece keeps me warm when I ski. Fleece keeps me warm when I sleep. Recycling is very good, and we all need to get better. I am cognizant and try, and I still need to get better. If all of us got smarter and more green- it would be great for the planet

I'm a diehard recycler and this is some pretty heavy stuff. I'll admit that I learned some stuff I didn't know, but a lot of has to taken with a grain of salt.

Yes, trees are renewable, but how many years does it take to grow a tree before it can be used for paper pulp. Comparing it with potatoes is kinda silly, but I get their point.

Their expert doesn't impress me. You can always find academia that debate conventional wisdom, like the idiots that claim global warming is a farce.

Funny stuff though...

I watched the first 10 minutes of that- when does it make a point? I do not wish to watch 30 minutes of that- I don't find it informative or interesting. Where do they make a point?

I am well read in regards to recycling and I hate the wasteful society we live in. I would take National Geographic and PBS view on recycling and environmental impact over Penn and Teller's

http://www.pbs.org/strangedays/

I watched the first 10 minutes of that- when does it make a point? I do not wish to watch 30 minutes of that- I don't find it informative or interesting. Where do they make a point?

I am well read in regards to recycling and I hate the wasteful society we live in. I would take National Geographic and PBS view on recycling and environmental impact over Penn and Teller's

http://www.pbs.org/strangedays/

If you are truly well read in regards to recycling, you shouldn't ignore what could be some actually truthful opposition to it. I agree that the first several minutes do not say much. I also agree with the post above that stated much of it is as "crazy" as the "crazies" they bash. However, they do definitely show the advantages of landfills over constant recycling (and also the rediculous excuse that "recycling crates jobs"), and I do really think that if you are as adamant as you say about protecting the environment, you may want to give the entire 30 minutes of it.

I am not judging you one bit, but your post basically strengthens their argument that recycling is given such blind support by the entire country that its scary that some people won't even consider that its not actually as good as we "know" it to be.

It's an opposing view, and one to be considered by everyone, even though their manner of presenting it may be a bit skewed.

OK- I watched the second part of the video. I don't give a damn about the cost's associated with recycling. That is not why I support recycling. What is plastic made of? Why should we waste oil? That is retarded. How long does a tree take to grow in a tree farm? How long does it take to grow a potato? No comparison- that is a stretch. Instead of hating on recycling because it takes energy to transport the paper, break it down and manufacture it- how about we take those process's and make them green? That makes a helluva lot more sense to me. There is a flotsam in the north Pacific and that is where plastic tends to accumulate. Somehow it ends up here. They estimate there is upwards of 46,000 pieces of plastic floating in each square mile in that part of the ocean. Plastic is made to last forever theoretically- it is not biodegradable. Environmentally doesn't it make sense to recycle plastic instead of filling up land fills or letting it accumulate in the Pacific? Albatross fly up to 12,000 miles in search of food for their young. Well they mistake pieces of plastic for fish eggs and their numbers are in steep decline. When they cut up their stomachs- they are filled with plastic. The blood is on our hands. What is the impact with dwindling albatross numbers? I have yet to see a good point in the first two parts of bull sh--. Do they make a point in the third part? Nature is as close to perfection as there is on this planet and it is remarkably efficient. We are !@#$ing up this planet and Earth would be better off if man never existed

Indeed. We have more trees now than in the 1920s, eh? To quote one of my new favorite sayings (courtesy of a friend), "Talk about 10 on the no-sh---o-meter." That's because most of the Eastern forests had been clear-cut in the previous couple of decades, leaving behind massive enviromental damage that took years to recover from. Sustainable harvesting is good. Clear-cutting, not so much.

Here's a short history from the nearby Pennsylvania Lumber Museum.

Indeed. We have more trees now than in the 1920s, eh? To quote one of my new favorite sayings (courtesy of a friend), "Talk about 10 on the no-sh---o-meter." That's because most of the Eastern forests had been clear-cut in the previous couple of decades, leaving behind massive enviromental damage that took years to recover from. Sustainable harvesting is good. Clear-cutting, not so much.

Here's a short history from the nearby Pennsylvania Lumber Museum.

Yeah. A solid waste of time. Recycling is bad makes a good soundbyte but doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.

OK- I watched the second part of the video. I don't give a damn about the cost's associated with recycling. That is not why I support recycling. What is plastic made of? Why should we waste oil? That is retarded. How long does a tree take to grow in a tree farm? How long does it take to grow a potato? No comparison- that is a stretch. Instead of hating on recycling because it takes energy to transport the paper, break it down and manufacture it- how about we take those process's and make them green? That makes a helluva lot more sense to me. There is a flotsam in the north Pacific and that is where plastic tends to accumulate. Somehow it ends up here. They estimate there is upwards of 46,000 pieces of plastic floating in each square mile in that part of the ocean. Plastic is made to last forever theoretically- it is not biodegradable. Environmentally doesn't it make sense to recycle plastic instead of filling up land fills or letting it accumulate in the Pacific? Albatross fly up to 12,000 miles in search of food for their young. Well they mistake pieces of plastic for fish eggs and their numbers are in steep decline. When they cut up their stomachs- they are filled with plastic. The blood is on our hands. What is the impact with dwindling albatross numbers? I have yet to see a good point in the first two parts of bull sh--. Do they make a point in the third part? Nature is as close to perfection as there is on this planet and it is remarkably efficient. We are !@#$ing up this planet and Earth would be better off if man never existed

How much energy does the entire plastic recycling process including transportation take? Make sure you include all the oil that the employees use to drive to work at the plant, the energy involved in running the recycling plant, etc. I would bet you are not saving nearly as much oil as you think.

I guess you should only harvest plants that grow quickly? Great logic. I have some asparagus in my garden that grows much faster than any of the other vegetables. Am I hurting the environment by eating the other vegetables? After all, some of them take a whole summer to grow! When a parcel of land is logged, it is replanted with new trees that will go to the end of the logging rotation. It doesn't matter how long it takes, because you have parts of the forest at all different levels of maturity. Logging companies and land owners in this country are probably much more concerned about the viability of the land than any militant recycler.

Nobody is saying we should dump plastic into the ocean, simply properly dispose of it. Has the albatross story replaced the "dolphin with a six pack plastic ring around it's mouth" story?

Man is part of nature and so is extinction of species. Of course I hate seeing animals die due to pollutants, but pretending that recycling is always the most efficient answer to the world's waste issues is naive. Sometimes you waste more energy and cause more pollutants in the recycling process than you would if we just disposed of the products in a proper landfill.

You talk a big game about the world being "better off if man never existed", but yet you continue to exist and drain precious resources. Do you really need to be wasting energy typing on a plastic computer? Wasting time and electricity that could be spent helping the albatross? Don't be part of the "Al Gore do as I say not as I do" environmental police.

Recycling some products makes sense. Blindly recycling everything just because it makes you feel like you are saving the environment is great for your conscience, but not worth much to the environment.