Steve Johnson as #5 reciever

I would love to see it.. I think this dude is going to be real good. The problem is.. Is there room on the roster for him? I would hate to see him get released. As of right now, Justin Jenkins is the #5 reciever.

I would love to see it.. I think this dude is going to be real good. The problem is.. Is there room on the roster for him? I would hate to see him get released. As of right now, Justin Jenkins is the #5 reciever.

The number 5 guy better be good on special teams, and Jenkins was last year when he filled in for Akin.I doubt they let him go unless Johnson really shows something . A few flashes here and there get you a ticket to the PS not the roster see Jenkins and Mayle.

I see Johnson as a guy who can definitely make this team as long as he's effective on special teams. From watching some of his footage from training for the combine and a few games, he doesn't seem to have had much strength training and I think a full offseason in the weight room could make him a regular in the 4 WR set. Seems he has pretty good natural ability though. Hope he works hard and gives us another WR with some decent size......

I think it is entirely possible, and would a likely scenario if Josh Reed ends up getting cut (which I think could happen). I think Johnson's/Jenkins'/ Mayle's productivity in camp could be the writing on the wall for Reed, as nobody pays $2.5 million for a #4 receiver. I think between the 3 of those receivers, one of them has enough potential and skill to displace Reed for #4. FWIW, I have standing bet with Hamdan's Revenge on if Reed gets cut.

I think it is entirely possible, and would a likely scenario if Josh Reed ends up getting cut (which I think could happen). I think Johnson's/Jenkins'/ Mayle's productivity in camp could be the writing on the wall for Reed, as nobody pays $2.5 million for a #4 receiver. I think between the 3 of those receivers, one of them has enough potential and skill to displace Reed for #4. FWIW, I have standing bet with Hamdan's Revenge on if Reed gets cut.

Wasnt sure youd remember :rolleyes:

Plus IMO since Parrish cant run a route Reed is probley our third reciever. That 2.5 Million doesnt seem so bad especailly with that huge salery cap

Plus IMO since Parrish cant run a route Reed is probley our third reciever. That 2.5 Million doesnt seem so bad especailly with that huge salery cap

eh, 2.5 isn't as bad, but when you have to lock-up Lee in the next year, just re-signed Roscoe, and drafted Hardy to be a #2, it starts to look bad, but FWIW, I'll post a link in my sig about our friendly wager.

You're right, Reed is the clear #3, unless Roscoe steps up during training camp and the preseason. Johnson has a pretty good shot at making the team though.

As a 2nd round pick, how much $$$ do you think Hardy is gonna get? It sure won't put too much of a dent in the "We already have too much money invested in that position" BS that goes on around here. Look at Poslusny's contract and that is pretty much your looking at with Hardy.

Every NFL team simply overlooked his tremendous skill. :rolleyes:

Don;t worry about that NFL playbook, this guy is the exception to the 3 year rule - which is why he could start ahead of Hardy..

Too bad he's not taller.

In fact, the Bills could cut both Reed and Parrish before training camp because Johnson is so good and will need all the reps for himself. :w00t:

It seems like the best way to run the offense is to have Reed brought in on shorter yardage so that he can either catch a tight pass in traffic and not get killed, and also block if need be. Parrish seems to be one to bring in during more passing situations. They seem to complement each other well as platoon third receivers.

Josh Reed is not a number four receiver. That's where everyone gets it wrong. The guy played really well for us last season playing a role that he is not necessarily suited for; the number two receiver. He showed good hands and physical skills last year. Reed is the #3 guy this year and will be lining up in the slot where he is most comfortable. If any of the starting three were to be cut this offseason, it would be Parrish, IMO. He is expendable on PK as we now have McKelvin who is extremely dangerous, and with our focus on getting bigger and faster at WR, Parrish is the smallest and shortest member of that group. Plus, I think his contract is up at the end of the season and he is an old TD choice.

As for Johnson he looked good in camp and I think he has a good shot at making the team as the #4 or #5 guy so long as he can play a bit of special teams. Buffalo's WRs are going to be pretty good this year and may help this team make a surprise run.

Josh Reed is not a number four receiver. That's where everyone gets it wrong. The guy played really well for us last season playing a role that he is not necessarily suited for; the number two receiver. He showed good hands and physical skills last year. Reed is the #3 guy this year and will be lining up in the slot where he is most comfortable. If any of the starting three were to be cut this offseason, it would be Parrish, IMO. He is expendable on PK as we now have McKelvin who is extremely dangerous, and with our focus on getting bigger and faster at WR, Parrish is the smallest and shortest member of that group. Plus, I think his contract is up at the end of the season and he is an old TD choice.

As for Johnson he looked good in camp and I think he has a good shot at making the team as the #4 or #5 guy so long as he can play a bit of special teams. Buffalo's WRs are going to be pretty good this year and may help this team make a surprise run.

I disagree, as Roscoe is pretty dangerous out of the slot as well. However, I think we can both agree that neither Roscoe or Reed are starting receivers. In addition, Roscoe was extended last year for 3 years $12.31million. Turk has been talking all along about utilizing Roscoe more than Fairchild did. Also, early on Roscoe was the leading receiver on the team (statistically speaking). IMO, Roscoe is the #3 on this team as not many Nickel back's can keep up with him.

I disagree, as Roscoe is pretty dangerous out of the slot as well. However, I think we can both agree that neither Roscoe or Reed are starting receivers. In addition, Roscoe was extended last year for 3 years $12.31million. Turk has been talking all along about utilizing Roscoe more than Fairchild did. Also, early on Roscoe was the leading receiver on the team (statistically speaking). IMO, Roscoe is the #3 on this team as not many Nickel back's can keep up with him.

First, I completely agree that neither of these guys are starters. You are right on there. However, I also think that Roscoe is dangerous in the slot. The problem is, he is small and not a good target for those over the middle routes. I see them using Roscoe for burn routes or long fly routes on second and third downs. I think he can also be used in three set WR screen situations, where Reed is at #2 for his excellent blocking ability on the outside.

Keep in mind that Roscoe AND Reed were extended, Reed for 4 yrs ten mil and the numbers above for Roscoe. Part of the problem is that neither of these guys were used to the best of their abilities by SF last year and thus both of them were hurting in terms of production. However, I do see them both on the team, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills had Evans and Hardy as the permanent top-two and used a rotation of four guys across the last three spots. Also, keeping all of them provides solid depth in case you have a Peerless Price situation like we did last year. You then have veteran talent that can fill a void if it becomes a necessity.

I think he's a sleeper and makes the team - he's a good blocker and really might be more of a true backup end than a slot guy.

I don't think you can call a draft pick a sleeper. At Least I can't. UDFA's could be classified at sleepers.