Cedric Benson arrest

I know it's a bit off topic,

but having lived in Chicago for most of Benson's career I've got to say he is a complete turd.

Chock him up along the likes of Mike Williams, as a guy that received a huge rookie contract and since then has no heart to actually play the game.

Well, maybe the following comment is actually on topic:

I have to say I think the police WERE being excessive when they said they had to use pepper spray to subdue him.

After watching him play, it's obvious all it takes is a slight tap to bring him down.

Quite frankly, I was a bit surprised when the Bears drafted him that high. He was blessed at UT with a strong offensive line, and he really only had one move - run over people. He was never very elusive or anything.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite frankly, I was a bit surprised when the Bears drafted him that high. He was blessed at UT with a strong offensive line, and he really only had one move - run over people. He was never very elusive or anything.

My best friend from college is from south Texas and he saw Ced play in high school a few times. He said he was the best football player by far he'd ever seen. But there were rumblings even back then that he didn't have the desire and would skate by on his ridiculous talent when he got to UT.

I don't know...I really thought he was going to be one of the best backs from that draft. But maybe he just doesn't want it that bad...

My best friend from college is from south Texas and he saw Ced play in high school a few times. He said he was the best football player by far he'd ever seen. But there were rumblings even back then that he didn't have the desire and would skate by on his ridiculous talent when he got to UT.

I don't know...I really thought he was going to be one of the best backs from that draft. But maybe he just doesn't want it that bad...

Ced was a big pothead when he was here in Austin (hence the rumors that he'd be too "Ricky Williams-like"), and loved to party. Hell, I remember one of the football players he hung out with a bunch doing some hard sh-- the night before a drug test. No idea how he passed that one...

Ced was a big pothead when he was here in Austin (hence the rumors that he'd be too "Ricky Williams-like"), and loved to party. Hell, I remember one of the football players he hung out with a bunch doing some hard sh-- the night before a drug test. No idea how he passed that one...

Guys that get stoned out, were pampered their entire lives, are undisciplined, and have 50 grand or so walking around money are quite unlikely to drive a boat intox, or resist arrest. Am I correct?

Good thread. :blink:

Guys that get stoned out, were pampered their entire lives, are undisciplined, and have 50 grand or so walking around money are quite unlikely to drive a boat intox, or resist arrest. Am I correct?

Let's see:

- In Benson's other two run-ins with APD, he has been nothing but cooperative.

- His boat was "randomly" stopped all 6 times he has taken the boat out.

- There is apparently a 911 call that he was getting beaten up by police.

- Police let his other friends, who were all drunk as well, drive the boat back, but only arrested Benson. This goes against LCRA protocol, which from my understanding is that if everyone is drunk, everyone on the boat is arrested, given PI (except for the operator, who is given a BWI/DWI/DUI), and the boat is impounded. This didn't happen, instead they let drunk people drive the boat away.

Does that add up to you Bill?

Let's see:

- Police let his other friends, who were all drunk as well, drive the boat back, but only arrested Benson. This goes against LCRA protocol, which from my understanding is that if everyone is drunk, everyone on the boat is arrested, given PI (except for the operator, who is given a DWI/DUI), and the boat is impounded. This didn't happen.

Shh.... cops good, Benson bad, close book.

Stop bringing up elements of what happened. You might then actually find out what actually happened, and that gets in the way of a good rant, on either side of the argument. :blink:

My 2 cents on the whole cops are dicks/mostly great guys argument:

A lot of it has to do with which force you are on.

I know plenty of NYS Troopers and even have one as a brother-in-law. They seem to be pretty professional for the most part.

Contrast that with a city police officer and sherriff that I worked with in a national guard unit. These two would brag about how they mistreated people. They would discuss putting black suspects in half-nelson type holds and 'rock' them against the hood of the police cars to make it appear like the suspects were resisting, all the while yelling 'STOP RESISTING'.

Plenty of scumbag cops out there.

that first part just about sums up my life, and ive never been bothered by cops or resisted arrest.

but hey, im white...

Good thread. :lol:

1) Not to get into the whole debate, but are stoned people really ones you worry about being violent crime offenders? It seems like you watched the movie Reefer Madness too many times if you believe this.

2) It takes an insane amount of displince to be a pro football that most on this board could not even comprehend.

3) Where does it state how much money he has on him? And does that mean Bill Gates and people like him are threats too?

4) And to sum up your points of view on life: Cops always right, pro athletes are always wrong, and draft offensive linemen in every round. :blink:

Let's see:

- Police let his other friends, who were all drunk as well, drive the boat back, but only arrested Benson. This goes against LCRA protocol, which from my understanding is that if everyone is drunk, everyone on the boat is arrested, given PI (except for the operator, who is given a BWI/DWI/DUI), and the boat is impounded. This didn't happen, instead they let drunk people drive the boat away.

Not really, but I wasn't there, and have no knowledge about boating regs. I was a poor guy from Queens.

You however surprise me by missing the obvious. Here are a few examples:

1) Hargrove fights cops. Posters come here and not only excuse the guy who had a bit of a shaky history, they blast the cops.

2) Whitner smacks his baby momma around. Posters come here and call it a misunderstanding. After all, the charges were dropped. Damn those over-aggresive cops!

3) The Bills draft Hardy, who was jammed up for kicking his baby momma's ass. Posters come here assuring us that those days are over. That too seemed to be blown out of proportion, right?

My point is, people do not call the police to let them know what a great day they are having, nor to boast about how well they are communicating with their spouse. People call mainly in their bewitching hour and believe me, we all have our bewitching hour. There is nothing you posted to indicate to me that Benson was cooperative with the police. Nothing at all.

Stopped 6 times? Could he have been let go because he is an athlete? Or, was he always innocent?

Look, people like athletes. They score touchdowns and sack quarterbacks. Many people dislike cops in general. They arrest people and give tickets.

Still, as a group, I think they behave better than most athletes. Ask Karl Malone's kid who we just drafted, ya know?

1) Not to get into the whole debate, but are stoned people really ones you worry about being violent crime offenders? It seems like you watched the movie Reefer Madness too many times if you believe this.

Think about some of the most out of character things you have ever done (please don't list them). Was it a fight? Cheating on a spouse? Commiting a crime?

Now, was alcohol involved in some way?

Not really, but I wasn't there, and have no knowledge about boating regs. I was a poor guy from Queens.

1) Hargrove fights cops. Posters come here and not only excuse the guy who had a bit of a shaky history, they blast the cops.

2) Whitner smacks his baby momma around. Posters come here and call it a misunderstanding. After all, the charges were dropped. Damn those over-aggresive cops!

3) The Bills draft Hardy, who was jammed up for kicking his baby momma's ass. Posters come here assuring us that those days are over. That too seemed to be blown out of proportion, right?

My point is, people do not call the police to let them know what a great day they are having, nor to boast about how well they are communicating with their spouse. People call mainly in their bewitching hour and believe me, we all have our bewitching hour.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what the above has to do with me (I don't even think that I commented on any of those issues).

There is nothing you posted to indicate to me that Benson was cooperative with the police. Nothing at all.

Stopped 6 times? Could he have been let go because he is an athlete? Or, was he always innocent?

Stopped all 6 times for "random" inspections. LCRA does do random inspections of boats, especially near Devil's cove (where he was), but I've never heard of anyone getting randomly stopped 6 times in a row. LCRA checks to make sure that there is a sober person on the boat to drive, that the registration/licensing is up to date, and that there are enough life vests.

As far as you suggesting it might be because he is an athlete, I doubt it. Around here cops are just as harsh to them as anyone else.

Now, the idea that there is "nothing at all" indicative that Benson was cooperative means you are ignoring the prior cases that he was when he was arrested, and the other 6 times he didn't have an issue with LCRA. There is a clear pattern of him being cooperative before the incident.

Look, people like athletes. They score touchdowns and sack quarterbacks. Many people dislike cops in general. They arrest people and give tickets. Still, as a group, I think they behave better than most athletes. Ask Karl Malone's kid who we just drafted, ya know?

The whole idea of labeling cops or athletes good or bad is oversimplification and silly. What I was not afraid to do is label ONE police department, APD, as being poorly run and managed (as there are lots of prior incidents to back this up).

My point is, people do not call the police to let them know what a great day they are having, nor to boast about how well they are communicating with their spouse. People call mainly in their bewitching hour and believe me, we all have our bewitching hour. There is nothing you posted to indicate to me that Benson was cooperative with the police. Nothing at all.

Look, people like athletes. They score touchdowns and sack quarterbacks. Many people dislike cops in general. They arrest people and give tickets.

Still, as a group, I think they behave better than most athletes. Ask Karl Malone's kid who we just drafted, ya know?

Well apparently you must have been at the other incedents you mentioned b/c you seem to have a lot of information as to what exactly happend then the rest of do. I'm not sticking up for the athletes as much as I'm just questioning why you feel the need to embelish the reports of what happened at the incidents you mentioned in order to support your argument.

Regarding your above points:

1. Cops always do the best and appropriate actions to properly diffuse a situation. Cops never act in a way that could possibly escalate an already tense situation.

2. A mad/crazy woman will never exaggerate what happened in the past during a fight.

3. People never recognize what they did wrong and learn from their past mistakes. If you do something once, obviously you are going to continue that behavior for the balance of your lifetime.

As a group comparison, i'd wager a guess that the percentage of misbehaving cops and athletes are probably extremely close. Most cops and athletes are well behaved and do what they are supposed to do. Its a small percent that act like a-holes. The difference is, a small percent of misbehaving cops can be covered up by the department, while the small percent of misbehaving athletes are going to get their names tossed all over the media.

Hmmmm....another witness has emerged. What a shocker - the scumbag cops acted inappropriately.

"Another eyewitness has emerged to support Benson's claim that he was mistreated.

Toby Patch was at nearby Emerald Point Marina on Saturday night when he claims he saw police "manhandling" Benson after taking the running back off the boat and heading to a squad car. Patch was not one of the 15 people on the boat.

"As they were taking him up the dock, they stopped, he said, 'I am fine, I can continue walking,' and they put their legs behind his knees and knocked him over his knees and started hog-carrying him," Patch told KXAN-TV in Austin.

Near the parking area, Patch says the treatment of Benson worsened.

"They ended up--I don't know why--but laid him on his back, I heard him say, 'Please don't pepper spray me, please don't pepper spray me,'" Patch said. "It was uncalled for, it was ludicrous, no point for it."

Patch's version sounded similar to the account Benson friend Elizabeth Cartwright, who was on the boat, gave the Tribune on Tuesday night."

Before, I wasn't sure what the deal was, but now I'm starting to lean toward ced's side if this is indeed true.

I would absolutely not be shocked if Austin law enforcement pulled a stunt like that. This is, after all, the area that:

http://www.statesman.com/specialreports/co.../0127force.html

http://www.austinpolice.com/localnews-aas.htm#sex

http://www.austinpolice.com/localnews-aas.htm#misuse

http://www.austinpolice.com/localnews-aas.htm#upholds

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news...commanders.html

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Is...id=oid%3A260257

Its widely known in the Austin area that the regular cops will use reasons such as forgetting to signal to pull over minorities and search their vehicles/look for other violations, while not doing the same to white people. In addition, Austin has special police who make up reasons to pull people over and try to nail them for drunk driving or other such incidents (ex: claiming they had ran a red light).

Not to sound redundant (referring back to our postings months ago on god knows what) but not every officer of the law is a corrupt person, there are some officers out there (probably more than most think) that actually take pride in treating people with respect and trying to take a laid back approach to law enforcement.

Sure there are idiot redneck morons on the Austin Police Department, there are idiot redneck morons in every type of employment, it is impossible to escape their stupidity. I'm sure for every bad officer in the Austin PD there are probably 2 or 3 that want nothing to do with corruption or any sort of BS like this. For every bad incident in which an officer is accused of improper use of force there are probably fifty good incidents which go un-noticed.

I would never ask you to change your opinions at all because you certainly provide sources and have well thought out points but please don't lump all of us together. Just like there are bad teachers and good teachers, there are bad lawyers, good lawyers, bad doctors, good doctors. The nature of humanity does not change with profession.

Not to sound redundant (referring back to our postings months ago on god knows what) but not every officer of the law is a corrupt person, there are some officers out there (probably more than most think) that actually take pride in treating people with respect and trying to take a laid back approach to law enforcement.

Sure there are idiot redneck morons on the Austin Police Department, there are idiot redneck morons in every type of employment, it is impossible to escape their stupidity. I'm sure for every bad officer in the Austin PD there are probably 2 or 3 that want nothing to do with corruption or any sort of BS like this. For every bad incident in which an officer is accused of improper use of force there are probably fifty good incidents which go un-noticed.

I would never ask you to change your opinions at all because you certainly provide sources and have well thought out points but please don't lump all of us together. Just like there are bad teachers and good teachers, there are bad lawyers, good lawyers, bad doctors, good doctors. The nature of humanity does not change with profession.

generaLee, ill give you credit for a great post. most of my friend's fathers were cops, and i know a lot of the "good ones". but the reason there is more backlash and lumping together of "cops are bad" is because they have the greatest power to trample all over your rights and completely screw up your life because of a power trip.

and unfortunately, by definition of the job and the power we must give police officers, "bad cops" can get away with more than any other profession. if a doctor messes something up, they are held accountable and can only do so much to try to hide it. since police ARE the people the "bad guys" answer to, its not easy to make them answer to... anyone.

a bad office manager will make his employees' lives miserable for 8-10 hours a day. a bad cop can ruin someone's life, or end it, with no repercussions.

i give credit to every police officer risking his/her life everyday. i have the utmost respect for that. but the bad ones make it very VERY hard for the common person to trust them in general.