Golisano selling the Sabres?

Relax...the team isn't moving.

Sure...I believe a guy who tried to buy the Penguins and the Predators to move them to Kitchner ON is going to keep the Sabres in Buffalo! And that sore on that skank's lip is acne.

So now the truth comes out! Now we know what TG is up to. Scuttle the team, see attendance drop, cry poor that Buffalo doesn't support the Sabres anymore, then cash out big time selling to Jim Basille! Almost note-for-note like the Buffalo Braves saga. What a douchebag Golisano is!

The NHL would br crazy to let the Sabres leave town. Buffalo is solely responsible for about 30% of the NHL's US ratings! But when has the NHL ever done anything smart? We're DOOOOOMED!

PTR

Sure...I believe a guy who tried to buy the Penguins and the Predators to move them to Kitchner ON is going to keep the Sabres in Buffalo! And that sore on that skank's lip is acne.

So now the truth comes out! Now we know what TG is up to. Scuttle the team, see attendance drop, cry poor that Buffalo doesn't support the Sabres anymore, then cash out big time selling to Jim Basille! Almost note-for-note like the Buffalo Braves saga. What a douchebag Golisano is!

The NHL would br crazy to let the Sabres leave town. Buffalo is solely responsible for about 30% of the NHL's US ratings! But when has the NHL ever done anything smart? We're DOOOOOMED!

PTR

Balsillie has probably made an offer on at least 10 different teams (not counting Pittsburgh and Nashville).

While I will not be surprised when Tom sells the Sabres a few years down the road, I'll be shocked if they go to the owner of R.I.M..

PTR

Interesting. NFL owner's agreement prohibits an owner from owning a majority stake in another major sports franchise.

Interesting. NFL owner's agreement prohibits an owner from owning a majority stake in another major sports franchise.

Coincidentally the topic on WGR this afternoon was weather TG was getting ready to make a bid on the Bills. I can't say I'm excited at the idea based on what I've seen the Sabres do with their best players.

PTR

Coincidentally the topic on WGR this afternoon was weather TG was getting ready to make a bid on the Bills. I can't say I'm excited at the idea based on what I've seen the Sabres do with their best players.

PTR

Golly's passion clearly isn't hockey, maybe he'd put a little more into an NFL team, but who knows. And I may be an optimist by nature, but I think the odds of the Sabres leaving town in the next 15 years are about 0.001%. NO WAY they move a team from of the top 3 American markets when franchises in the south are gasping for air.

Golisano is going to sell the team by August '09. He is going to lose tax benefits of $20 million in long term gains tax (going from 15% to 28%+) if he sells after Obama is in office and passes the bill, and would be stupid to sign Miller and Pominville to extended contracts right before a team sale, as those salaries would be viewed as a team asset, and Golisano would get taxed at 35% on the remaining depreciable salary on the team at the time of sale. This is an added reason the team has not signed their top players as it would mean another $10 or so million in taxes for Golisano.

I gave up on preaching at the sister board as hockey fans just want to burry their heads and smile. This has been coming down the pipe for all to see.

Golisano will use the Bills as an excuse to sell. Golisano is not liquid enough to compete with a market value spender on his own. He would need to come up with $600 million. Even if he sold the Sabres, he would have to dump 30-40% of his Paychex stock in order just to come up with the $600 million in order to finance the other $600 million. He could be part of a group, but I don't think he has the stomach to put up the money needed on his own, and there aren't enough deep pockets around here. Jim Kelly is looking to get the team on the cheap, and Wilson isn't going to spit up the Bills for $700 million when they are worth $1.2 Billion in Toronto.

Golisano only took on the Sabres because Quinn grabbed him and told him it was a can't miss deal. Quinn was able to waive millions in debt through his connections, and will still own the Arena if the Sabres move to Hamilton/Kitchner. This management group has been in hiding all year and now you see why. Golisano has no leverage, and would like to see the team stay in Buffalo all things equal...but he is holding out for the start of next season and may agree to a Final Offer from Basillie. Buffalo is a strong market, and if a closed door deal between Bettman, Quinn and Basillie lets the team move to Canada in a year or two, look for Buffalo to be first in line for an expansion group once Quinn has the canal project up and running. It would be much like the Cleveland Browns.

80% the Sabres are sold by September 2009.

60% Sabres are moved by September 2011.

Just think... TG sells the Sabres and he buys the Bills... The Sabres move... I can really see a lot of Bills fans in the making Tommy... I know I would stop going to Bills games when I could. It would be suicide to own the Bills in that scenario, IMO.

Unless both leave town!

:thumbsup:

Just think... TG sells the Sabres and he buys the Bills... The Sabres move... I can really see a lot of Bills fans in the making Tommy... I know I would stop going to Bills games when I could. It would be suicide to own the Bills in that scenario, IMO.

Unless both leave town!

:thumbsup:

The irony is that everyone has been preaching the Bills are moving and nobody has worried about the Sabres.

It looks like the Toronto venture is shaky. I don't know for sure, but I don't feel the Bills would have let the Miami game go unless there was some worry they need to fill the seats in Toronto. Nobody has put down a dime yet, so it will be interesting. The luxury good income is drying up in the US. The NFL put out a notice for owners to get debt off the balance sheets if possible so the appraisers don't come around and bring the repo man with them. A team like Buffalo will actually be a strongsuit if the economy stays in a prolonged slump. Ralph is clean as a whistle, and doesn't rely on giant coporate support, new stadiums and crazy seat prices. Much like the housing and job market......Buffalo might actually see an uptick in support as the city becomes an escape route for large service firms. All this is good news for keeping the Bills in Buffalo. It is possible that if the Toronto venture goes soft, a local group will have a fair chance to keep us here. I don't really think Golisano will be a major part of it, but I can't say for sure.

Unless that franchise is in the same city. Huizenga owned Dolphins and Marlins.

Unless that franchise is in the same city.

Yep, or if there is no NFL franchise in that city. Golisano can own the Sabres and Bills. But this looks like a prelude to eventually buying the Bills.

Golisano is going to sell the team by August '09. He is going to lose tax benefits of $20 million in long term gains tax (going from 15% to 28%+) if he sells after Obama is in office and passes the bill, and would be stupid to sign Miller and Pominville to extended contracts right before a team sale, as those salaries would be viewed as a team asset, and Golisano would get taxed at 35% on the remaining depreciable salary on the team at the time of sale. This is an added reason the team has not signed their top players as it would mean another $10 or so million in taxes for Golisano.

I gave up on preaching at the sister board as hockey fans just want to burry their heads and smile. This has been coming down the pipe for all to see.

Golisano will use the Bills as an excuse to sell. Golisano is not liquid enough to compete with a market value spender on his own. He would need to come up with $600 million. Even if he sold the Sabres, he would have to dump 30-40% of his Paychex stock in order just to come up with the $600 million in order to finance the other $600 million. He could be part of a group, but I don't think he has the stomach to put up the money needed on his own, and there aren't enough deep pockets around here. Jim Kelly is looking to get the team on the cheap, and Wilson isn't going to spit up the Bills for $700 million when they are worth $1.2 Billion in Toronto.

Golisano only took on the Sabres because Quinn grabbed him and told him it was a can't miss deal. Quinn was able to waive millions in debt through his connections, and will still own the Arena if the Sabres move to Hamilton/Kitchner. This management group has been in hiding all year and now you see why. Golisano has no leverage, and would like to see the team stay in Buffalo all things equal...but he is holding out for the start of next season and may agree to a Final Offer from Basillie. Buffalo is a strong market, and if a closed door deal between Bettman, Quinn and Basillie lets the team move to Canada in a year or two, look for Buffalo to be first in line for an expansion group once Quinn has the canal project up and running. It would be much like the Cleveland Browns.

80% the Sabres are sold by September 2009.

60% Sabres are moved by September 2011.

Wow, kudos to you for really knowing your sh--. The thought of the Sabres and their history leaving town for an expansion franchise is nauseating.

PTR

As others have said, Tommy knows nothing about hockey. He did it pretty much as a favor to the people here. He's made several comments about getting the profits he wanted. If you own a hockey team, you shouldn't be in it for the money.

With the Bills, as much whining as Ralph does, the Bills turn a pretty decent profit. Tommy could "save" another team and die a legend forever in WNY. And Buffalo is now Hockeytown in the US. There's no way teh Sabres would leave, especially after the NHL helped them out after the Rigas' fiasco. Too many good pro prospects and fan support for them to ever leave. IMO, this could be a win-win situation all around.