Can you get fired from your job...

I was thinking that maybe he should just find a better job. One that involves doing work that he enjoys, instead of one that involves plotting revenge against his employer.

Where's the fun in that? :P

They want to get rid of you, and this seems the most convenient way. Get a car. File a complaint of some kind. Sexual harassment, workers comp, disability or whatever. Then when they actually get around to their next pretext for firing you or "letting you go" to fire you scream "retaliation". Two can play the sneaky termination game.

If they're trying to get rid of him, their actions constitute "constructive dismissal" and are illegal, even in an at-will state. So long as it can be proved their trying to get rid of him, a lawyer would have a field day with this. In situations like this that I've seen, it tends to be hard to prove as "transfer or find a new job" isn't uncommon.

Were it me...hell, rent a car every week and expense it to the company. :P

If they're trying to get rid of him, their actions constitute "constructive dismissal" and are illegal, even in an at-will state. So long as it can be proved their trying to get rid of him, a lawyer would have a field day with this. In situations like this that I've seen, it tends to be hard to prove as "transfer or find a new job" isn't uncommon.

Were it me...hell, rent a car every week and expense it to the company. :P

I'm not a lawyer. California is an at-will work state as well, in California, you can be fired for any reason whatsoever, no questions asked. (Exception being age, sex, race, religion etc.)

They want to get rid of you, and this seems the most convenient way. Get a car. File a complaint of some kind. Sexual harassment, workers comp, disability or whatever. Then when they actually get around to their next pretext for firing you or "letting you go" to fire you scream "retaliation". Two can play the sneaky termination game.

May he expect pro bono legal representation to right this intolerable wrong?

Yeah, a company concerned with making money. Where will the insanity end?!?!? :)

Nothing wrong with a company making money, but there is a certain point where the second half of the quote comes into play, you know, the one about treating their employees like sh--! But, I know, wrong place to get into that... :P

I'm not a lawyer. California is an at-will work state as well, in California, you can be fired for any reason whatsoever, no questions asked. (Exception being age, sex, race, religion etc.)

So's Maryland. And while you can be let go for any reason (or no reason), it is illegal for a company to make you miserable in an effort to get you to quit. I know, I've had it happen to me, to the point where I HAD to get a lawyer.

In my case, though, proving it was easy (the CEO made statements to the effect he's make my life hell until I quit). "Accept this transfer or we'll part ways" is a little more ambiguous, even if the employer is clumsy enough to turn car ownership into the central issue. A good attorney could make the case.

So's Maryland. And while you can be let go for any reason (or no reason), it is illegal for a company to make you miserable in an effort to get you to quit. I know, I've had it happen to me, to the point where I HAD to get a lawyer.

In my case, though, proving it was easy (the CEO made statements to the effect he's make my life hell until I quit). "Accept this transfer or we'll part ways" is a little more ambiguous, even if the employer is clumsy enough to turn car ownership into the central issue. A good attorney could make the case.

My company stopped doing business in California because they lost every court case on the subject, even though they followed both the letter of the law and the intent in virtually every case. Just because the law is on your side doesn't mean you win...

Maybe so, but why wouldn't the company just fire you ? Why make your life hell so you quit instead ?

Nothing wrong with a company making money, but there is a certain point where the second half of the quote comes into play, you know, the one about treating their employees like sh--! But, I know, wrong place to get into that... :P

In my experience, the vast majority of employees are treated just fine. They call it 'work' for a reason...it's not supposed to be a picnic. I have seen far, far more cases of lazy employees who think they are owed a cushy life without working for it than I have cases of employees being treated like sh--. Because people take things personally and get defensives doesn't mean anyone is out to get them.

Fortunately, the 'American Way' that is so horrible provides the opportunity for anyone to quit and find another job.

You want an example of real abuse? Trying defending yourself against a government bureaucrat that been given an order to rule against you when you've done nothing wrong.

If you quit, you can't collect ?

Nope.

Plus, in my case, being bipolar, they left themselves open to liability under the ADA had they fired me without cause. Ergo, better to make me quit. Ironically, since it basically amounted to them wanting to fire me for being bipolar (they had no cause otherwise), they did little more than increase their liability and ensure that I'd come after them...which I did.

Helped that the company was run by crooks and idiots. The CEO who pulled all this (I was not the only one they "constructively dismissed", just the only one who called them on it) was fired by the board three months later when they found out he was cooking the books and embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I have seen far, far more cases of lazy employees who think they are owed a cushy life without working for it than I have cases of employees being treated like sh--. Because people take things personally and get defensives doesn't mean anyone is out to get them.

In my experience it's about 50-50...but then, my experience is admittedly skewed by working for the aforementioned mother!@#$ers.