Can you get fired from your job...

2 years ago I was hired in Manhattan to be a camera man for a television news station here in the tri-state area. I had a car when I was hired, however, I got rid of it because I now rely on mass transit to get around to news stories.

My boss called me up today and said they want me to work/report into White Plains (1/2 hour North of Manhattan) on a daily basis and perform my same duties up there as I do down here in Manhattan. However, he said that I would need a car and that I have to let them know by tomorrow if I plan on acquiring a car or not. If not, they would have to part ways with me in 2 weeks with no severance package and only able to collect unemployment.

As an employee, am I entitled to anything to fight this? Can they fire me for not having a car?

2 years ago I was hired in Manhattan to be a camera man for a television news station here in the tri-state area. I had a car when I was hired, however, I got rid of it because I now rely on mass transit to get around to news stories.

My boss called me up today and said they want me to work/report into White Plains (1/2 hour North of Manhattan) on a daily basis and perform my same duties up there as I do down here in Manhattan. However, he said that I would need a car and that I have to let them know by tomorrow if I plan on acquiring a car or not. If not, they would have to part ways with me in 2 weeks with no severance package and only able to collect unemployment.

As an employee, am I entitled to anything to fight this? Can they fire me for not having a car?

I guess it depends if its in a contract you signed or if it is a requirement for your job. If it was a requirement originally for your job, but you just found it more convenient to take public transportation, I guess they could have a right to let you go.

Well NY is thankfully an at will state, so technically they can fire you for no reason.

Aside from that though, an employer is completely within his rights to a) change your assignment and b) expect you to provide your own transport. Thus, if the change now makes public transportation inaccessible or unreliable (how are you going to get from the WP station to the location?), than you don't have a leg to stand on. Also, if you are a cameraman, don't you need to travel from place to place throughout the day? How would you do that outside of NYC without a car?

What kind of cheap-ass operation doesn't provide a company car or compensate you for your own?

Its possible he works in a studio as a cameraman, and if thats the case, you would need a vehicle to get there and back, and they wouldn't have to compensate you for that. If he is a field camera man, then yes, they are cheap for not providing a company vehicle or compensating him for a vehicle

What kind of cheap-ass operation doesn't provide a company car or compensate you for your own?

Long ago, in a Galaxy far away, I read electrical meters...they gave me free bus tokens and bus transfers. One day, you read Riverside. Next day, Sloan.

Also one free flashlight. But just one. If you lost it or stole it, tough luck. Free D cells daily though, or a pack of matches to light your way - your choice. ;)

Long ago, in a Galaxy far away, I read electrical meters...they gave me free bus tokens and bus transfers. One day, you read Riverside. Next day, Sloan.

Also one free flashlight. But just one. If you lost it or stole it, tough luck. Free D cells daily though, or a pack of matches to light your way - your choice. ;)

Good thing it was electrical meters and not Gas meters, otherwise it could be a sign that they want you gone

It is a privately owned family operation that broadcasts news for 4 hours (5pm-9pm) M-F and they are primarily concerned with making money and treating the employees like shiite. Most News organizations (~99%) would customarily provide employees cars or vans to get to news stories, however, the hierarchy of ineptitude that plagues the rational thought within the company is mind bogglingly frustrating.

Try zipcar for a short term or temporary solution. My buddy is a member and loves it, he can always get a car when he needs it in the city. This way it will buy you some time until you can find a better solution/job for your situation.

http://www.zipcar.com/

I have never heard of that before. Thanks for the link, however, I believe I'm going to cut my losses and "part ways with the company".

It is a privately owned family operation that broadcasts news for 4 hours (5pm-9pm) M-F and they are primarily concerned with making money and treating the employees like shiite. Most News organizations (~99%) would customarily provide employees cars or vans to get to news stories, however, the hierarchy of ineptitude that plagues the rational thought within the company is mind bogglingly frustrating.

That is the "American way" that everyone seems to adore so much.... ;)

Sounds like a news story you should leak to opposition.

Try local "Call for Action". They might be able to help but I do suggest getting a car temporaly unless you do not mind being on unemployment. NYS is a right to screw you as one advovate of giving it up the rear states.

I have never heard of that before. Thanks for the link, however, I believe I'm going to cut my losses and "part ways with the company".

At least you're in such a market so it shouldn't be that rocky of a time getting something else, and probably in an upwards direction from an outfit like that.

You CAN'T get fired for not having a car but you CAN be fired for not showing up at work, or a work assignment.

Read between the lines, someone is trying to get rid of you. You may want to proactively begin to find another place to work.

They want to get rid of you, and this seems the most convenient way. Get a car. File a complaint of some kind. Sexual harassment, workers comp, disability or whatever. Then when they actually get around to their next pretext for firing you or "letting you go" to fire you scream "retaliation". Two can play the sneaky termination game.

They want to get rid of you, and this seems the most convenient way. Get a car. File a complaint of some kind. Sexual harassment, workers comp, disability or whatever. Then when they actually get around to their next pretext for firing you or "letting you go" to fire you scream "retaliation". Two can play the sneaky termination game.

I was thinking that maybe he should just find a better job. One that involves doing work that he enjoys, instead of one that involves plotting revenge against his employer.