Florida Keys

We decided on Key West mainly for the atmosphere. We had heard the beaches aren't the best of the keys, but we're not the type to sit on a beach all day. Also, we will have a rental car the whole time so if we want to we can drive to Islamorada, etc.

The beaches I have seen in the Keys are a tease. The water is crystal clear and 80 degrees, but very rocky and sharp (and shallow?). You can't really lay out on the beach and swimming is tough. There probably are some better beaches then the ones I have seen. Oh yeah, one more thing-don't ever go swimming at night down there. Sharks come right up to the shore

Key West is an amazing time. My wife and I are headed to Fantasy Fest this year.

I hope you have reservations. Hotels (Unless they are 400$ a night) are usually booked a year in advance

We decided on Key West mainly for the atmosphere. We had heard the beaches aren't the best of the keys, but we're not the type to sit on a beach all day. Also, we will have a rental car the whole time so if we want to we can drive to Islamorada, etc.

Y - I wouldn't recommend Key West if you're looking for great beaches. I think the public beach there is man-made - just kind of stagnant water...

One cool thing which is popular (or was when I used to go) is to rent mopeds - I would recommend that. Get them for the day and ride around exploring. There obviously are snorkel, fishing etc. charters as well. Mostly though when I used to go we just used to just hang out on Duval. Last time I was there years ago I saw Matt Guitar Murphy at Sloppy Joes. The operative term (for me) relative to Key West is *laid back* (except for Fantasy Fest - which is a completely unique experience)....

It is a requirement though, if your first time, to get your picture taken at the Southermost point :P . If you want a distraction you could check out the Hemmingway house or Mel Fisher museum. Check out Mallory Square in the evening for sunsets too - there can be some real characters there...

The beaches I have seen in the Keys are a tease. The water is crystal clear and 80 degrees, but very rocky and sharp (and shallow?). You can't really lay out on the beach and swimming is tough. There probably are some better beaches then the ones I have seen. Oh yeah, one more thing-don't ever go swimming at night down there. Sharks come right up to the shore

Beaches? You want beaches? Caladesi Island near clearwater. Best beach in the world. You need a ferry to get there. And if you go you can erynthered for a grouper and beer at Frenchy's!

Key West is an amazing time. My wife and I are headed to Fantasy Fest this year.

I hope you have reservations. Hotels (Unless they are 400$ a night) are usually booked a year in advance

I booked the gardens hotel (in my original post) in December 07.

I booked the gardens hotel (in my original post) in December 07.

Outstanding, I waited to long and now will probably have to wait another year for fantasy fest. There are places up the road, but......no.

Outstanding, I waited to long and now will probably have to wait another year for fantasy fest. There are places up the road, but......no.

That was me this summer with respect to Pamplona. If I can't stay at La Perla, I'll just wait and go another year.

What is Fantasy Fest? Is it a Sci-Fi, fiction literature and film event?

body paint is the main choice of attire for females for Fantasy Fest. God bless Key West!

There are some women however that should be wall papered instead of painted