What Our Congressmen Drive and How Much They Spend..

The use of a car — gas included — is one of the benefits of being a member of the House of Representatives.

There are few restrictions on what kind of car the members can choose, and there is no limit on how much they can spend. But the benefit can be politically sensitive, given the growing concerns about automobile emissions and an economy that has left many people struggling to pay for the rapidly rising cost of gas, which was averaging $3.63 a gallon nationwide earlier this week.

Not only does the federal government pick up the cost of the lease and the gas, but also general maintenance, insurance, registration fees and excess mileage charges. The perk itself may draw heightened attention in the coming weeks as members of Congress consider proposals to address gas prices, including one to suspend temporarily the federal excise tax on gasoline, 18.4 cents a gallon.

“I can tell you Lexus has one of the best services and is one of the most reliable cars I know,” said Representative Gregory W. Meeks, a Queens Democrat, who leases a 2007 Lexus LS 460 at $998 a month. Mr. Meeks, interviewed a few feet from the House floor last week, seemed reluctant to go into detail, saying he was worried that a story about members’ cars could be “distorted” or negative.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/nyregion...nyt&emc=rss

A Senator has about 20,000 sq. ft. of office space.

And they are still like petty children, claiming the 'best' spots every time the Senate changes party majorities.

Just for comparison, at my Company we have 40 people (plus two conference rooms and a lunch room) in 13,000 sq ft.

For Representative Louise M. Slaughter, a Buffalo-area Democrat, safety was a worry, given her sprawling district. Ms. Slaughter used to drive her personal car to get around, she said. Then, in 2002, her political rivals in the Legislature in Albany redrew her district, in what she viewed as a deliberate effort to force her from office.

The new map, she said, resulted in a vast swath of western New York that is treacherous to travel in winter. She turned to a 2007 Buick Lucerne, which she leases for $808.29 a month.

“For the longest time, I didn’t do it at all,” she said of leasing. But the Lucerne, she said, had good traction and, perhaps more important, came equipped with a satellite tracking system. “I figured if I got stuck in a snow bank people could find me,” she said. “If I’m in an accident, they might be able to find me and not have to wait until the thaw.”

Ahhh....politics as usual in New York State...

I hope her comment about waiting for the thaw was in jest.

How the hell did she manage to pay $808.29/mo for a fuggin BUICK?

I'm sure that allowing the local car dealer to come up with a creatively high lease rate will come in handy the next time one of her relatives is negotiating a car deal. :D

Talk about missing the forest through the trees. They should all get decent cars and the Capitol should be well-secured. It's an important job and should come with a good salary and perks, which it does. I don't have a problem with that, or their pensions, or their healthcare.

I have a problem with how they spend billions at the drop of a hat. That's the forest I care about.

That can't be all of it, b/c I would bet that a 3 yr lease would cost about the same in total. This must include the high mileage or the gas reimbursement.

Would you give a three year lease to someone who's only elected to a two year term?

For Representative Louise M. Slaughter, a Buffalo-area Democrat, safety was a worry, given her sprawling district. Ms. Slaughter used to drive her personal car to get around, she said. Then, in 2002, her political rivals in the Legislature in Albany redrew her district, in what she viewed as a deliberate effort to force her from office.

The new map, she said, resulted in a vast swath of western New York that is treacherous to travel in winter. She turned to a 2007 Buick Lucerne, which she leases for $808.29 a month.

“For the longest time, I didn’t do it at all,” she said of leasing. But the Lucerne, she said, had good traction and, perhaps more important, came equipped with a satellite tracking system. “I figured if I got stuck in a snow bank people could find me,” she said. “If I’m in an accident, they might be able to find me and not have to wait until the thaw.”

Ahhh....politics as usual in New York State...

I hope her comment about waiting for the thaw was in jest.

I like the Lucerne. You can get them with a bench seat, which I prefer. Spacious.

It's always easier to afford something when it is someone else's money. I have no problem with compensating for expenses incured for travel to the capital and back but local travel should not be covered. If the constituants can incur these expenses and survive then the politiacins can do it.