UT Student Arrested on Terror Charges

Chilly

Saying you want to shoot people is the modern equivalent of shouting 'fire' in a crowded theater. It's a bad idea and it will get you into trouble.

You can't say bomb on an airplane.

What if I'm a bombardier?

This whole case is weird. See the story at:

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/medi...s-3357663.shtml

He didn't actually threaten anything, just that he wished he could do something.

Is there any chance in hell those charges actually stick?

If you can be charged for having some LED lights on a breadboard, then I'd have to say yes. :D

Saying you want to shoot people is the modern equivalent of shouting 'fire' in a crowded theater. It's a bad idea and it will get you into trouble.

You can't say bomb on an airplane.

What if I'm a bombardier?

I've always wanted to shout "MOVIE" in a crowded firehouse. :thumbsup:

This is a tricky call. How many people heard him make those comments? The comments from the one witness that said he kept talking about it for a half hour is weird. It's a touchy subject. Where does merely talking turn into terroristic threats? I'd also want to know exactly what he was saying before really making a full judgement.

He mentioned how college "ruined his life" while he was walking around with a buddy putting up concert fliers? Something there seemed weird....doesn't really sound like his life was ruined, especially given the accounts from others that he was a normal, likable guy. Not like the VT kid who seemed to freak out everyone and anyone he had contact with. Of course I obviously have no idea what was going on in his head or what events might have "ruined his life" during his two years of college...maybe it was serious.

Sometimes I wish I had gone to UT and had my life "ruined" with a bunch of sorority girls in Austin instead of freezing my balls off in South Bend watching a "legendary" football team hire 4 coaches and win about 20 total games. But I digress... :thumbsup:

It really is a touchy situation now. If he DID end up doing something terrible, then this evidence would have been used to absolutely CRUCIFY the school and others who did nothing to stop it. People are so afraid of what will happen if they don't act that they seem to go into immediate CYA mode. Not saying it's a bad thing to err on the side of caution, but it does tend to blow some things out of proportion.