Bush Says "Stop Runnin The Ad."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bush thingy

Sorry if this was posted, but I didn't see it anywhere.

4866[/snapback]

I was listening to Bush on the radio, just as your post showed up.

I dont think it had been posted before.

Anyway, I also don't think that ANY trash ads will stop. Both sides will say publicly that they want them to stop, but thats as far as it will go.......

Looks like this went NOWHERE.

Now Flopenstein and his merry men are bitching because although GW said stop the ads, he didnt CONDEMN them.

So basically,  he has been reduced to whining about semantics.

Pathetic.

4876[/snapback]

I suspect they've kept that bullet in their holster for just this moment.

There will come a day in the near future when Der Wafflehause will have to come up with some original thinking and do something beyond criticize what is around him.

I would also believe the Bush crew KNEW this would be his response, and when it becomes more public you'll find the American people saying "Christ, Kerry...give it a rest, already."

Looks like this went NOWHERE.

Now Flopenstein and his merry men are bitching because although GW said stop the ads, he didnt CONDEMN them.

So basically,  he has been reduced to whining about semantics.

Pathetic.

4876[/snapback]

Flopenstein and his merry men... :rolleyes::D:D

damned if he does and damned if he don't.

GWB should have said...."don't look at me John.....how's about you showing us your medical records."

Are crickets naturally democrats, because that's the only sound I'm hearing from them about this.

4933[/snapback]

I am not sure what it is you want to hear. "Hurrah" the President is against the ad. Does that make you guys feel better? "Yippeee" Is that enough? Sorry but I just don't see a lot to analyze here. A bunch of party funded lying hack partisans attaked the honorable service of a combat veteran and the President profited from it. He remained silent until it threatened to boomerang back on him when he did the smart thing and backed off. Besides, the damage is done so he loses nothing at this point by pretending to take the high road. Enough parrotts will keep echoing the charges long after they have been shown to be garbage. Coulter, Limbaugh and their many junior imitators (we have plenty of them right here) will keep the creepiness alive. All in all it was a fine example of how to smear without being smeared by the smearing. You just let someone else do it for you. Thats politics and boy, it aint pretty.

So when is Kerry going to condem the 527's.... err does he only object to ones against him??

Crickets from the left....

:rolleyes:  :D  :doh:  :D

4913[/snapback]

First, this wasn't a rebuke of the smear ad -- it was a call to end all ads - positive and negative.

No, he did not condemn the ad as untruthful and did not specifically call for its end; just lumping it in with all the other ads.

Second, the 527s aren't the issue; they are perfectly legal and there is no reason for Kerry to ask for their succession. The only reason Bush called a "cease fire" is because the Republicans are at a financial disadvantage. I can't wait for someone to defend this move as honorable and nothing more than a tatical political move.

Enough parrotts will keep echoing the charges long after they have been shown to be garbage.

Raaah -- Kerry had an affair with an intern who was suddenly rushed to Africa when the news broke -- Raaah

:rolleyes: (you asked for it)

Second, the 527s aren't the issue; they are perfectly legal and there is no reason for Kerry to ask for their succession.  The only reason Bush called a "cease fire" is because the Republicans are at a financial disadvantage.  I can't wait for someone to defend this move as honorable and nothing more than a tatical political move.

4970[/snapback]

this is hardly the case.

if it were, the President would have made the comments he made long before today.

Let me know when a positive ad comes out.  My TV and radio apparently don't have the necessary chip to broadcast them.

5040[/snapback]

Yes, small in number but they do exist. Anyway you look at it Bush did not differentiate between the Swift Boat smear and any other ad. To give him any credit for trying to halt negative ads is laughable.

this is hardly the case.

if it were, the President would have made the comments he made long before today.

5065[/snapback]

It is indeed the case. Do you really believe he has a good government, clean campaign motive? The same president who all but authorized the slanderous smear campaign against Max Cleland?

The reality is the Bush people were caught flatfooted. They believed they would continue to hold a very significant fundraising advantage between Bush-Democratic nominee (Kerry) as well as RNC-DNC. Moreover, many Bush strategists did not set up 527s because they thought the (Republican controlled) FEC would shut them down, but again, to the surprise of nearly everyone (including Bush guys) the 527 were permitted to exist at least for this cycle.

Both instances were very surprising to both Democrats and Republicans. Long ago Democrats essentially divided their effort -- and took a lot of time and care to create a fairly airtight case that a thick firewall separated Democratic 527s from the Party and candidates. It is not an easy thing to do -- the Democrats essentially run two campaigns at the same time.

The Republicans did not think they would need 527s for the reasons outlined above but have played catch up for the last two-three months. But it takes time and a lot of legal maneuvering, particularly since nearly every Republican operative was essentially "tainted" and were ineligible for 527 work.

The Republicans have essentially concluded that their 527s cannot compete and those set up are flawed and very vulnerable to FEC audits and investigations (believe me, no one wants to take on the FEC -- especially since treasurers and most "staff" can be held personally libel for irregularities). This is certainly the case with the SBVT that advised by Bush operatives (a big No-No).

So why not just have Bush condemn all 527s when it's not clear he would benefit from their banishment?

There was a dual purpose to what Bush did today. Looking like a stand-up guy (by saying he praised Kerry's service) was one, but so was inoculating himself against any further inquiry into his National Guard record.

A translation of what he said follows. You know, for those of you who seem to think he was taking some principled stand or something...

"I know that people have questions about my opponent's military service, but I won't go there*, and so therefore, even though people have questions about MY military service, my opponent shouldn't go there either."

* notwithstanding, of course, the fact that his people already DID go there.

Nice work, actually. Bill Clinton did almost exactly the same thing in 1992 and 1996, except that the details of Clinton's non-service (he had a student deferral, then applied to ROTC, then withdrew from the ROTC slot when he got a high number in the draft lottery) are quite a bit more out in the sunshine than are the details of Bush's missed flight physical, subsequent grounding, and subsequent absence from required duty in Alabama.

In fact, if anyone "dodged" the draft, it was Bush.

But I digress. Calling for an end to all 527 ads after the smear has already had two weeks to take hold is not unlike bashing someone in the head repeatedly with a two-by-four and then saying "I call truce!"

Archived