Not sure if posted yet

EndZoneCrew

There was some pretty good hazing at my high school...Everyone got it pretty good from the veterans, and then dished it out pretty good to the younger guys. That said, there were ZERO sexual connotations and I never once felt like my ass was in jeopardy...And it never occurred to me to put someone else's ass in jeopardy. Strange f'ing kids nowadays.

Here's the link to BN story: LINK.

Initially, the students were “subjected to physical abuse involving slapping, punching and kicking,” but then things “progressed to a level that rose to criminal activity,” said State Police Major Christopher L. Cummings.

Three varsity baseball team members were arraigned Friday in Town Court on felony counts of third-degree aggravated sexual abuse and misdemeanor charges of endangering the welfare of a child. One of the players was charged with two counts of sex abuse.

The sex-abuse charges involve crimes in which an object is forcibly inserted into another person, according to troopers, who declined to elaborate on that aspect of the Wilson case.

WTF? :lol:

Where were the coaches/adult chaperones?

Applying the KY?............In all seriousness, I have coached at most levels in high school and played collegiate baseball and hazing was not physical or sexual in any nature.....nothing wrong with making all the freshman shave their hair off or stuff like that but the way our society works, stuff like that will be off limits now.....what a shame....let me guess....making freshman carry all of the equipment will be considered hazing now....take it for what it is....a bunch of jerk teenagers who went WAY too far.....just another reason why I gave up coaching!!!!

Applying the KY?............In all seriousness, I have coached at most levels in high school and played collegiate baseball and hazing was not physical or sexual in any nature.....nothing wrong with making all the freshman shaving their hair off or stuff like that but the way our society works, stuff like that will be off limits now.....what a shame....let me guess....making freshman carry all of the equipment will be considered hazing now....take it for what it is....a bunch of jerk teenagers who went WAY too far.....just another reason why I gave up coaching!!!!

I played through HS and into JUCO and never saw a lot in the way of hazing, so I don't know what would be considered normal or excessive in terms of generic hazing. (I don't consider making the "rookies" carry the equipment hazing.) But with 2-3 adults on the bus - how did they all miss sexual assaults? In high school at least one JV coach rode up front with the JV team and at least one varsity coach was in the back with the varsity team to make sure no one got out of hand.

Here's the link to BN story: LINK.

Initially, the students were “subjected to physical abuse involving slapping, punching and kicking,” but then things “progressed to a level that rose to criminal activity,” said State Police Major Christopher L. Cummings.

Three varsity baseball team members were arraigned Friday in Town Court on felony counts of third-degree aggravated sexual abuse and misdemeanor charges of endangering the welfare of a child. One of the players was charged with two counts of sex abuse.

The sex-abuse charges involve crimes in which an object is forcibly inserted into another person, according to troopers, who declined to elaborate on that aspect of the Wilson case.

WTF? :lol:

Hazing takes place in every school at some level. The coaches generally know what's involved, but the kids crossed the line this time by turning in into sex abuse (I heard rumors of a cell phone involved).

When I was in school the varsity sat in the back of the bus and the junior varsity towards the front, as is probably still the case. For baseball, the varsity players would take a hat of a JV player and it was up to the JV player if they wanted to retrieve it or not. If you do, you earn their respect. I know, big deal! But at the time it really is a big deal. I went back for my hat and got punched after passing every seat (nothing in the face) and got one of the worst weggie's I've ever witnessed. damn strong underwear!!! But it was over very quick and that was it. The coach new all about it. as I am sure the coach new a little about what was happening in Wilson.

But for kids to turn into sex abuse is all about the kids, can't pin this one on the coach or chaperone. That's a parents first response, blame the coach for every bad play call or player action, the teacher for a bad grade, principal for school policy or whoever, it can't be the children, no way it can be the kids fault. It's never the kids fault and it's the main reason that kids have no respect these days. They have absolutely no fear, because it's never their fault.

The coach should have stopped it completely, but I don't think anyone would have expected it to escalate to the level in which these kids took it. And I also believe that the initiation or hazing would have happened somewhere else if not on the bus. it's a very fine line when you're a coach. do you stop the initiation completely, when you know it will happen somewhere else unsupervised. or do you let it happen on the bus and hope things do not escalate as they did in this instance. I guess you should just stop it completely, at least you're off the hook somewhat....

Applying the KY?............In all seriousness, I have coached at most levels in high school and played collegiate baseball and hazing was not physical or sexual in any nature.....nothing wrong with making all the freshman shaving their hair off or stuff like that but the way our society works, stuff like that will be off limits now.....what a shame....let me guess....making freshman carry all of the equipment will be considered hazing now....take it for what it is....a bunch of jerk teenagers who went WAY too far.....just another reason why I gave up coaching!!!!

Same here, played hoops thru high school and played D-3 in college...The hazing was pretty constant when you were a young buck, but never unbearable...Head shaving, lugging equipment, doing stupid embarrassing shiit at restaurants on road trips...And of course some occasional heavy drinking...Nothing ever got obscene or dangerous, and even the drinking wasn't forced in excess on those who didn't feel comfortable. The words "anal", "broomstick", or "penetrate" never entered the hazing vocabulary.

I understand there are a few sickos, and I understand the mob mentality, but I can't believe that other upperclassmen could sit there and watch the "hazing" spiral into something criminal and sexual, and not one did anything about it.

Played football and baseball in HS and joined a fraternity in college. Hazing was part of the gig, no big deal. Stupid drinking games/bar games, carry equipment/shaving head, eyebrows wearing the pledge uniform (for the fraternity), none of that bothered me and it was all in good fun.

There was never any connotation of sexual hazing of any kind. Anyone who may have suggested would have immediately been thought of as very strange.

Hazing takes place in every school at some level. The coaches generally know what's involved, but the kids crossed the line this time by turning in into sex abuse (I heard rumors of a cell phone involved).

When I was in school the varsity sat in the back of the bus and the junior varsity towards the front, as is probably still the case. For baseball, the varsity players would take a hat of a JV player and it was up to the JV player if they wanted to retrieve it or not. If you do, you earn their respect. I know, big deal! But at the time it really is a big deal. I went back for my hat and got punched after passing every seat (nothing in the face) and got one of the worst weggie's I've ever witnessed. damn strong underwear!!! But it was over very quick and that was it. The coach new all about it. as I am sure the coach new a little about what was happening in Wilson.

But for kids to turn into sex abuse is all about the kids, can't pin this one on the coach or chaperone. That's a parents first response, blame the coach for every bad play call or player action, the teacher for a bad grade, principal for school policy or whoever, it can't be the children, no way it can be the kids fault. It's never the kids fault and it's the main reason that kids have no respect these days. They have absolutely no fear, because it's never their fault.

The coach should have stopped it completely, but I don't think anyone would have expected it to escalate to the level in which these kids took it. And I also believe that the initiation or hazing would have happened somewhere else if not on the bus. it's a very fine line when you're a coach. do you stop the initiation completely, when you know it will happen somewhere else unsupervised. or do you let it happen on the bus and hope things do not escalate as they did in this instance. I guess you should just stop it completely, at least you're off the hook somewhat....

I'm not disputing that hazing occurs on a lot of teams, but I never considered the type of things that you mentioned harmful - the "steal the hat, try and come get it" crap - it was just stupid adolescent boys being boys crap. Never liked it much myself, but never complained about it. But I just can't let the coaches/adults off the hook by blinding throwing out the "we wanna blame someone" copout.

Yes, the adults should absolutely have responded better. They should have been in better position to make sure the kids didn't get out of hand. They could have stopped things before it escalated to the level it reached. If that kind of stuff happens somewhere else unsupervised, then there's not a lot you can do but look at the kids involved. But as parents you have to trust that the coaches and adults on the bus are going to watch out to make sure that the kids don't get hurt.

Yes, the kids get the lion's share of the blame for doing what they did, but the coaches/adults deserve some blame for not being aware of it/able to stop it. The perps are going to find out that they can't do whatever they want, because they are looking at the possibility of 1-8 years in prison.

but I can't believe that other upperclassmen could sit there and watch the "hazing" spiral into something criminal and sexual, and not one did anything about it.

Definitely agree....as an upperclassmen you take the responsibility upon yourself to do the right thing when your teammates were out of line.....On a few occasions I grabbed another player on our team for pushing a kid too far when it came to drinking or for being a jackass in general.....and it ended there....I could only imagine what I would do to another teammate if I saw them trying to rape another player with some sort of object!!