Books to read

taterhill

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The National Endowment for the Arts is promoting a program called The Big Read, to encourage people to read books for pleasure (what a concept). :lol:

This month they are suggesting Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Part of the idea is if everyone reads or RE-reads the same book, maybe they will discuss it... I have read it a few times but checked it out of the library to read again!

I started reading Bradbury, Clark, Heinlein, Asimov, and many more, when I was still in elemenetary school. I do not have as much free time but still try to read as often as possible.

Being a Gemini, it is not surprising I just finished Vonnegut's A Man without a Country and Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone - I had never read a Potter book before.

With Vonnegut I would start off on maybe Welcome to the Monkey House or Cat's Cradle.

A Man without a Country is like a series of blogs and excellent, but written near the end of his life.

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them"

Ray Bradbury

"1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them. "

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

The National Endowment for the Arts is promoting a program called The Big Read, to encourage people to read books for pleasure (what a concept). :lol:

This month they are suggesting Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Part of the idea is if everyone reads or RE-reads the same book, maybe they will discuss it... I have read it a few times but checked it out of the library to read again!

I started reading Bradbury, Clark, Heinlein, Asimov, and many more, when I was still in elemenetary school. I do not have as much free time but still try to read as often as possible.

Being a Gemini, it is not surprising I just finished Vonnegut's A Man without a Country and Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone - I had never read a Potter book before.

With Vonnegut I would start off on maybe Welcome to the Monkey House or Cat's Cradle.

A Man without a Country is like a series of blogs and excellent, but written near the end of his life.

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them"

Ray Bradbury

"1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them. "

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

I just finished Slaughterhouse-Five and am now reading Mother Night. Never knew what I was missing

It's called High School.

Reading is no longer a required subject in High School. :lol:

Actually reading for entertainment was never a requirement. In high school they twist your arm and make you play parrot on a final exam so they can push you through the system. You are just a tick mark.

NOT ALL TEACHERS ARE THIS WAY - I do not want the good teachers out there getting all riled. If what I said made you angry, maybe you did not read my post. Heh.

I just love to read. I have to thank old Grandma Rockpile - she read to us every night. Once we could read - we read to HER every night, at least when we were still "kids".

You should start with easy books. A good starter is Gravity's Rainbow by THomas Pynchon (where the name "Slothrop" comes from). You can then move to "Against the Day" by Pynchon. It should only take you a couple of weeks to finish both of them. Let me know what you think.

Reading is no longer a required subject in High School. :lol:

Actually reading for entertainment was never a requirement. In high school they twist your arm and make you play parrot on a final exam so they can push you through the system. You are just a tick mark.

NOT ALL TEACHERS ARE THIS WAY - I do not want the good teachers out there getting all riled. If what I said made you angry, maybe you did not read my post. Heh.

I just love to read. I have to thank old Grandma Rockpile - she read to us every night. Once we could read - we read to HER every night, at least when we were still "kids".

I believe I had all of one book assigned to me in all of my years in public school. Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. I think that's it.

I believe I had all of one book assigned to me in all of my years in public school. Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. I think that's it.

:lol:

I had to read like 6 or 7 books a year, as well as poetry and other such small pieces.

I highly recommend anything by Palahniuk.

Anything by Philip Roth, simply the best American novelist of the last several decades. Everyman is very good, as is Exit Ghost. But you can't go wrong with any of his earlier work either.

If you like mysteries on the grittier side: Joseph Wambaugh, Michael Connelly, George Pelecanos, Dennis Lehane, elmore Leonard and James Ellroy are all excelent.