For those who wanted an upgrade at Center

Looking at the Bills' Drafts under Jauron, they've taken 4 OL, all of whom went in the 5th round or later. Two of those were cut. I don't understand why they've decided to go with as many smaller players in the later rounds (i.e. 4th+) I'd like to think there are some OL prospects that can be groomed to be playing in a few years. Apparently, more corners and special teams are the priority over the OL. The scary thought is Preston, Whittle, or Chambers being in for an extended amount of time.

Looking at the Bills' Drafts under Jauron, they've taken 4 OL, all of whom went in the 5th round or later. Two of those were cut. I don't understand why they've decided to go with as many smaller players in the later rounds (i.e. 4th+) I'd like to think there are some OL prospects that can be groomed to be playing in a few years. Apparently, more corners and special teams are the priority over the OL. The scary thought is Preston, Whittle, or Chambers being in for an extended amount of time.

Chambers and Whittle are fine backups - Preston, not so much.

a lot of the picks just have to do with the fact that big guys can't do as much - and if they're not starting there isn't much room on the bench for them. Also I think we've demonstrated that we are more comfortable bringing in young veterans for the OL - the results last year spoke for itself. I think a big problem is simply that NFL rosters are too small - you need everybody to contribute and don't have space for a few guys that aren't going to see the field for a few years and can't contribute anything special on special teams.

I think more importantly than those of us who'd like to see an upgrade at Center is whether the Brass at OBD would like to see one. Judging from FA & the draft, they must be currently content..

Who would you have like to see them go after though? The best two centers in a weak draft for that position were gone by round 3 and the only real upgrade in FA was gone 15 minutes after it started.

Chambers and Whittle are fine backups - Preston, not so much.

a lot of the picks just have to do with the fact that big guys can't do as much - and if they're not starting there isn't much room on the bench for them. Also I think we've demonstrated that we are more comfortable bringing in young veterans for the OL - the results last year spoke for itself. I think a big problem is simply that NFL rosters are too small - you need everybody to contribute and don't have space for a few guys that aren't going to see the field for a few years and can't contribute anything special on special teams.

Whittle has versatility, but won't be playing center unless something catastrophic happens. He missed a lot of time last year after tearing a muscle, and that in itself isn't an easy injury to overcome. Besides, he's a journeyman who's 33 years old. This team was very fortunate not to have seen the injury bug like the rest of the team did.

I would point out that Indianapolis, San Diego, New England*, and the Giants have predominantly home grown OL's. Buffalo's has had one full year together, so I expect them to be much better in the running game than where they were last year.

I guess we'll have to hope Alex Mack from California is available next year, because it's apparent Fowler is their answer right now.