Ellis' motivation

Lothar

I've heard some draftniks say that Ellis will be a good player when he understands he's not as good as he thinks he is.

Plus his motivation isn't necessarily on "playing a game that he loves" (which may just be a cliche anyway for these millionaires-to-be.)

Virginia paper

Here are some interesting comments from a local newspaper article:

Even as a senior, a football paycheck was never far from his mind. He sometimes wore a T-shirt depicting an X-ray of a man's head with dollar bills floating around inside it -- a visual representation of the phrase "money on my mind."

Ellis was surprised the Bills picked him because they didn't seem to show much more interest than the 20 or so other teams he met with at the combine. When the Bills called his cell phone yesterday to tell him they wanted to select him, it marked his official transition from a college career in which Tech's coaches sometimes hoped he would change his attitude, something the unapologetic Ellis resisted.

"It's not that I don't want to change, because I plan on changing," he said in the fall. "I plan on changing my bank account." <_<

Edgerrin James had the same motivation and was even more candid about it than Ellis appears to be...he seemed to do okay.

Well, if he plays out of his head under his rookie contract so that he can cash in in FA in four years, I suppose that's a good motivation...

Exactly.

I am not crazy about saying that he is all about the money, but at least he is honest. It's like the bum on the corner with the sign, "Why lie? I want beer." I tend to give him my change because he isn't claiming to be a homeless vet with six kids at home. In the same line, if he plays lights out over the next few years, can we really hold it against him if he holds out?

For me, I know this kid is good, and he always seemed to me like he loved what he was doing.

I've heard some draftniks say that Ellis will be a good player when he understands he's not as good as he thinks he is.

Plus his motivation isn't necessarily on "playing a game that he loves" (which may just be a cliche anyway for these millionaires-to-be.)

Virginia paper

Even as a senior, a football paycheck was never far from his mind. He sometimes wore a T-shirt depicting an X-ray of a man's head with dollar bills floating around inside it -- a visual representation of the phrase "money on my mind."

Ellis was surprised the Bills picked him because they didn't seem to show much more interest than the 20 or so other teams he met with at the combine. When the Bills called his cell phone yesterday to tell him they wanted to select him, it marked his official transition from a college career in which Tech's coaches sometimes hoped he would change his attitude, something the unapologetic Ellis resisted.

"It's not that I don't want to change, because I plan on changing," he said in the fall. "I plan on changing my bank account." <_<

These kids get ass raped for 3 or 4 years by the system, while the colleges make millions. I don't blame him for wanting to cash in on his own work.

How about a million buck bonus for 10 sacks.....should be motivation enough.

Maybe I should have re-phrased the discussion. I hope his attitude and coachability will improve now that he will be getting a paycheck.

He's a 3rd round rookie with pretty good upside. If he plays his way into a starting role in a year or 2, and is productive he'll get paid. If he doesn't he won't. I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect. I hope his attitude stays the same. Too many hard hat "nice guys" on this defense. As long as he isn't out causing problems off the field, and shows up to play on game day. There shouldn't be an issue.

Virginia paper

If ever there was a case for an incentive laden contract...$100,000 per sack. $300,000 per sack on Brady. $400,000 per broken bone on a Brady sack! (probably violates the bounty rule)

I think the Bills biggest draft mistake was not drafting Jeremy Zuttah (OL, Rutgers) in the third. I just get bad vibes from what I'm hearing and reading about this guy Ellis. We'll probably have to draft a DE in the first round next year so why bother with a potential problem child with a high probability of falling flat on his face. Maybe a guy like Stroud can straighten out his attitude.

It doesn't matter to me at all. As long as he's motivated by something, its a good thing.

Exactly.... different people have different motivations. For some it may be competition with a friend. For others, the drive to be in the HOF. For some it's just plain old money. The key is finding out what motivates the guy and using it. If it's money for this guy... no problem give him an incentive laden contract and gladly hand over the cash when he puts Brady's head on stake and delivers it to you.

These kids get ass raped for 3 or 4 years by the system, while the colleges make millions. I don't blame him for wanting to cash in on his own work.

Perhaps some different phrasing would be appropriate here. Or maybe it's just me.