(OT) I'm like friggin Seabiscuit

ajzepp

Like a lot of other people with too much time on their hands, I've been trying to refine my poker skills in no-limit hold 'em. I was an okay player, but in the last couple days I've had a breakthrough: I used to get very flustered when I would fall behind in the chip count, often times either going all-in out of desperation or else chasing tricks that I shouldn't be chasing. I made the decision to just let go of my anxiety over a diminishing stack, and just be patient and disciplined......even if I'm sitting there with the short stack. I actually find that if I can focus on patience when Im down, I become very focused. Well, yesterday I won 5/8 sit downs and a 200 person hourly tourney ($224).

Some of you may be sitting there saying "duh" about all this, but the fact of the matter is that I see a TON of people online playing desperation poker. I find it's easy to recognize them, because they exhibit the exact same sort of approach that I am trying to rid myself of. So, needless to say, these people have now become my prey :lol: Embrace your short stacks, i say!

where do you play? I play at pacific. I deposited $20 3 times now and each time lasted about 4 days. I get up big to about 125 then blow it all back. I play in the rooms and a couple sit downs for 2.25 +25 to get in 5 person sit down. Where do you play. Im looking for any ideas to help me out i dont think the wife is going to allow me to deposit anymore lol

where do you play? I play at pacific. I deposited $20 3 times now and each time lasted about 4 days. I get up big to about 125 then blow it all back. I play in the rooms and a couple sit downs for 2.25 +25 to get in 5 person sit down. Where do you play. Im looking for any ideas to help me out i dont think the wife is going to allow me to deposit anymore lol

72255[/snapback]

That's where I play, too :lol: I love that place.....and I can relate to your $20 deposits....I have a string of them myself lol. Do you ever play in the free rolls? They usually have them every few hours throughout the day, and there is one in the afternoon, usually around 2-4p, that pays out to like 60 places. That can help fund other sit downs and tourneys.

As far as strategy, my weaknesses used to be anxiety with the short stack and one on one play. Everyone is different, but here is basically what I've learned from playing on that site: 1) I like to see a lot of flops in the beginning when it's usually cheap to do so. 2) When my starting hand is strong, I will usually raise instead of call......this will hopefully knock out some of the borerline hands people have that can come back to haunt you on 4th st and the river. 3) Don't be afraid to sacrifice your blinds. I don't subscribe to the ultra conservative theory where you only play like the top ten starting hands.....but at the same time, don't be afraid to not play a hand just because you were the blind. If you can check off or play it cheap, great.

But the biggest thing I've learned is to be patient, and that knowing when to fold your hand is MORE important than knowing when to raise and call (I can hear Kenny Rogers in my head). Also, don't get caught up in the fact that it's not "really" $800 of chips you are working with. Treat them as you would $800 real dollars in your pocket. Protect them, but at the same time use them for the power they have. For example, If you have a full table, and you are holding a K7, the chances of you making that into a strong hand with that manyother people arent nearly as good as going in with a strong raise and foricing 7 of them to fold before the flop. But the key is to have the discipline to let go of your hand if you don't like it after the flop. Don't fall into the "well, I'm already in this hand for x amt of money, so even though I don't have stevestojan, I might as well keep going". That's where I was having a problem. I felt like I had obligated myself to keep throwing money into a hand, even if the hand wasn't as strong as it should have been.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble.....this is just my own experience and my own opinion. I don't profess that it's correct lol.....it's just what's been working for me lately :P

Like a lot of other people with too much time on their hands, I've been trying to refine my poker skills in no-limit hold 'em.  I was an okay player, but in the last couple days I've had a breakthrough: I used to get very flustered when I would fall behind in the chip count, often times either going all-in out of desperation or else chasing tricks that I shouldn't be chasing. I made the decision to just let go of my anxiety over a diminishing stack, and just be patient and disciplined......even if I'm sitting there with the short stack. I actually find that if I can focus on patience when Im down, I become very focused. Well, yesterday I won 5/8 sit downs and a 200 person hourly tourney ($224).

Some of you may be sitting there saying "duh" about all this, but the fact of the matter is that I see a TON of people online playing desperation poker. I find it's easy to recognize them, because they exhibit the exact same sort of approach that I am trying to rid myself of. So, needless to say, these people have now become my prey :P  Embrace your short stacks, i say!

72252[/snapback]

I know what you mean. I've taught myself to be much more patient at the on-line tables. It's a good way to be, since you can usually take advantage of the people who are playing desparate or over aggressive. Unfortunately, I am currently in the middle of my worst slump ever....I can't get a thing to break right for me. :lol: If the Yankees keep scoring, I might have to hop on Party Poker or Poker Stars and go again!

Don't be fooled... We all win some, we all lose some over time. OVER TIME, the house wins with their rake. If you can keep gambling at a healthy amount i.e same amount it would cost u to go get some drinks, and it serves as your entertainment, by all means enjoy. For myself those 20$ deposits start growing exponentially. And i find for me personally, when i win it feels good, but I never seem to enjoy the money before it is all gone. For example I won 2400 from a NL poker game, and I only used at most 300 of it b4 it was gone. From what I've seen with most people who have the itch for gambling, 90% of us, the bets get bigger with time. No matter how good your skills are, the best ones still get sheety cards.