Some thoughts re draft and other matters

jahnyc

1. McKelvin reminds me of the Winfield pick some years ago. Not great ball skills, but strong in every other area, including hitting. I wonder how McKelvin compares to Clements and Winfield in terms of grades prior to being drafted.

2. Kind of surprised the Bills took Hardy. Hardy may not be a character risk, but the Bills really seem to place great importance on character and intelligence, particularly in recent years. I sometimes forget that not all of the Bills of the past were angels (i.e., Bruce Smith, Kelly and Talley, among others). I thought the Bills would take Sweed over Hardy, since Sweed seems like the kind of guy the Bills would like.

3. Will Hardy start opposite Evans? It kind of scares me to think that if Hardy is not ready, Josh Reed may be in the starting line-up. He did not work out well opposite Moulds as the starter, and I assume that nothing has changed in that regard.

4. Mike Maycock on The NFL Network is the best draft analyst. His mock draft selections were very accurate and he seems to have a dialogue with the teams and their coaches and scouts. Overall, I thought the NFL Network's coverage was superior to that of ESPN.

5. It seems that Berman no longer is in touch with the Buffalo cab driver. Too bad.

6. I think we got short changed on the coverage of our picks on both networks (ESPN and The NFL Network). In the first round, they focused on and discussed the Patriots' pick instead of discussing the Bills.

7. There are many needs that still need to be addressed. I think DE is one of those needs. Kelsay and Denney are both coming off of significant injuries and Hargrove has been suspended.