Does Marv pull the trigger on Hardy?

First, this is not a post to blast the pick. I'm thrilled with his talent and will give him the benefit of the doubt. It will be great to have a tall, athletic, talented WR for the first time since......ummmm?

That being said, if Levy still has the final word, is Hardy still the pick? Are the attitude/off-field problems enough to scare him away or is this an Eric Moulds "not big enough of a red flag" situation?

Just curious what you all thought about the situation. A lot of you have studied the profiles of these prospects far more extensively than I.

First, this is not a post to blast the pick. I'm thrilled with his talent and will give him the benefit of the doubt. It will be great to have a tall, athletic, talented WR for the first time since......ummmm?

That being said, if Levy still has the final word, is Hardy still the pick? Are the attitude/off-field problems enough to scare him away or is this an Eric Moulds "not big enough of a red flag" situation?

Just curious what you all thought about the situation. A lot of you have studied the profiles of these prospects far more extensively than I.

could you be more... specific?

what has he done exactly?

from nfl.com:

Hardy pleaded not guilty to the charges and later accepted a court's offer in Fort Wayne to settle his case through a pretrial diversion agreement. By accepting the program, he had to comply with the conditions of the agreement and pay court costs. He also apologized to his teammates and IU in his statement.

There were problems with Hardy and Indiana's late head coach Terry Hoeppner. After the second game of the 2006 season, the two met privately, resulting in the coach suspending Hardy for two games (vs. Southern Illinois and Connecticut).

"In May of 2006 he was arrested on battery charges in what authorities said was an attack on his girlfriend and their infant son. Four months later he was suspended by the team for two games for still-undisclosed personal reasons that were apparently unrelated to the arrest."

I have read a few articles talking about the arrest and also some notes about him being a bit uncoachable. Again, not my words or opinion. If he really beat up his girl and kid, then that's not something that should be tolerated.

from nfl.com:

Hardy pleaded not guilty to the charges and later accepted a court's offer in Fort Wayne to settle his case through a pretrial diversion agreement. By accepting the program, he had to comply with the conditions of the agreement and pay court costs. He also apologized to his teammates and IU in his statement.

There were problems with Hardy and Indiana's late head coach Terry Hoeppner. After the second game of the 2006 season, the two met privately, resulting in the coach suspending Hardy for two games (vs. Southern Illinois and Connecticut).

1st paragraph doesnt say anything as to what he did.

2nd... same

moving on!

1st paragraph doesnt say anything as to what he did.

2nd... same

moving on!

Agreed. Just addressing your queries.

Personally, I don't take serious many of these "domestic" disputes. Sure, some of them are a big BIG deal. But come on, you mean to tell me these NFL hopefuls don't attract some questionable females with dollar sign pupils? Sh-t happens. Sometimes.

Regarding coaching issues: for all we know, Hardy slept through a film session, had a great game, the coach met with him privately, informed him that he couldn't allow that behavior in good conscious, gave him the standard punishment, end of story.

As is pointed out below it's some serious stuff. I'm going to assume that the Bills did their homework on this kid and he's learned his lessons and by putting him in a lockerroom of strong leaders he will be kept in line and mature, would you wanna P.O. Poz or Peters? I really hope this doesn't mean that character is a lot less of a concern now. I'd hate to have a team of thugs.

Does anyone know if Levy was involved with the draft this year? If he was it would greatly alleviate my concerns about him.

Some of the greatest Bills of all time were wife beaters. I think it indicates toughness.

:lol:

Agreed. Just addressing your queries.

Personally, I don't take serious many of these "domestic" disputes. Sure, some of them are a big BIG deal. But come on, you mean to tell me these NFL hopefuls don't attract some questionable females with dollar sign pupils? Sh-t happens. Sometimes.

Regarding coaching issues: for all we know, Hardy slept through a film session, had a great game, the coach met with him privately, informed him that he couldn't allow that behavior in good conscious, gave him the standard punishment, end of story.

Yes several years before the draft a woman glammed onto him because he was going to the NFL. It seems you're implying that it's ok to hit a woman who's a golddigger. :thumbsup: The guy hit a woman. 'Nuff said. If he's learned his lesson then good and I'm pretty sure Buffalo looked through his past with a fine tooth comb like they did with Marshawn last year. The problem with the HC I think is history. Nothing happened again in almost two years. HC's don't suspend kids with that talent two games for falling asleep in the film room. He must have done something serious.

I can't believe they took him ahead of Limas Sweed. Damn GB for taking Nelson!

Linkage

Hardy, who scored a superb 36 touchdowns in his three years as a Hoosier, would go a long way toward solidifying Buffalo's red-zone offense for both the present and future. Because he was involved in a domestic dispute in the past, some don't see a possibility of the character-driven Bills drafting him; contrarily, though, Hardy's past off-field problems are just that -- in the past -- and he deserves the benefit of the doubt for misgivings that might be attributable to the immaturity which accompanies youth. Further, Hardy hasn't garnered nearly as much attention as overrated NFL-bound receivers like Malcolm Kelly (Oklahoma) and Limas Sweed (Texas) -- despite compiling much better statistics -- because of the unheralded football school he attended; but the fact is, the greatest wideout in Bills history, Andre Reed, graduated from the still-anonymous Kutztown State, and the best receiver all time, Jerry Rice, is a Mississippi Valley State alumnus.

If the kid comes in and is open and honest about those things and says he's learned his lesson then I say let's move on. If he comes in and is less than contrite about these things then I'll be very disappointed in this pick.

Much like the stuff surrounding Marshawn Lynch last year, I'll leave it to the Bills to investigate this stuff properly. Although it sounds bad enough, we simply don't know enough of the details about his past to make a good judgement.

if Levy still has the final word, is Hardy still the pick? Are the attitude/off-field problems enough to scare him away or is this an Eric Moulds "not big enough of a red flag" situation?

For the millionth time...Marv's comments about 'character' pertain to football temperament (will to win, ability to overcome adversity, leaving it all on the field when others fold), not the boy scouts of America.

For the millionth time...Marv's comments about 'character' pertain to football temperament (will to win, ability to overcome adversity, leaving it all on the field when others fold), not the boy scouts of America.

Disagree, off field enters into it too.

I like the Hardy pick and all but can someone please point out what Marv had to do with this pick or anything relating to the Bills. I might have missed something along the way here but I thought Marv retired again from the organization and doesn't have anything to do with the decision making.

Disagree, off field enters into it too.

You may...but we were talking about Marv. :thumbsup:

And what makes you think I'm not talking about Marv? :lol: