How long does frozen meat keep?

bartshan-83

I found a Buffalo meat flank steak in the back of my freezer that I bought last August and forgot about. It's just a small 8 oz steak. I remember now that I had it in the fridge up until it's "BEST BY" date, and when I didn't eat it, I stuck it in the freezer. So it's been almost 9 months and it has remained frozen for the entirety. However, it had a decent amount of freezer burn and its looks a little discolored (possibly from the freezer burn).

Anyway, I'm defrosting it and I was planning on grilling it up today during the draft, but I've never frozen meat that long.

Will it likely still be good?

Will the taste suffer due to the freezer burn?

If I really want one, should I just sac up and spend a few more bucks at the grocery store and toss this icicle?

THANKS!

UPDATE: The steak just finished defrosting so I took it out of its packaging and gave it a quick smell test. I think "week old roadkill" was the description that came to mind. Funny, it didn't smell in the freezer at all. It was also still factory sealed....weird.

Maybe the fact that it was Buffalo meat or that it was "all natural?"

Oh well, back to the store.

I found a Buffalo meat flank steak in the back of my freezer that I bought last August and forgot about. It's just a small 8 oz steak. I remember now that I had it in the fridge up until it's "BEST BY" date, and when I didn't eat it, I stuck it in the freezer. So it's been almost 9 months and it has remained frozen for the entirety. However, it had a decent amount of freezer burn and its looks a little discolored (possibly from the freezer burn).

Anyway, I'm defrosting it and I was planning on grilling it up today during the draft, but I've never frozen meat that long.

Will it likely still be good?

Will the taste suffer due to the freezer burn?

If I really want one, should I just sac up and spend a few more bucks at the grocery store and toss this icicle?

THANKS!

Frozen meat should be unspoiled for a good long time. I took a year-old steak out of the freezer the other night, and it was in fine condition.

My understanding is that the taste can suffer after six months or so, though...but the year-old steak I had was delicious. :lol:

UPDATE: The steak just finished defrosting so I took it out of its packaging and gave it a quick smell test. I think "week old roadkill" was the description that came to mind. Funny, it didn't smell in the freezer at all. It was also still factory sealed....weird.

Maybe the fact that it was Buffalo meat or that it was "all natural?"

Oh well, back to the store.

If by "Factory" sealed you mean how it was packaged at the grocery store...is not sealed at all. The "saran" wrap is not impermeable.

To freeze meat, remove it from the store pack, wipe it off, wrap it with saran wrap (I prefer wax paper), then with aluminum foil.

If by "Factory" sealed you mean how it was packaged at the grocery store...is not sealed at all. The "saran" wrap is not impermeable.

To freeze meat, remove it from the store pack, wipe it off, wrap it with saran wrap (I prefer wax paper), then with aluminum foil.

I usually do exactly that with "saran-wrapped" meat. I described it as "factory-sealed" because it came in it's own package with thick plastic lining glued to a styrofoam box. It wasn't the standard thin saran wrap that comes on most. It almost looked vacuum packed.

However, when I took it out of the freezer, there was definitely some air inside the packaging.

Strange....

I usually do exactly that with "saran-wrapped" meat. I described it as "factory-sealed" because it came in it's own package with thick plastic lining glued to a styrofoam box. It wasn't the standard thin saran wrap that comes on most. It almost looked vacuum packed.

However, when I took it out of the freezer, there was definitely some air inside the packaging.

Strange....

Ah, I see...packaged like those mail-order meats, then.

Oh well, chalk it up to experience. I'm glad you pitched it out...