Rick Gosselin's final NFL mock draft

Link

11. Buffalo WR, CB, LB, TE Devin Thomas, WR,

Michigan State

Comment: The NFL's 30th-ranked passing attack needs to get bigger, stronger, tougher, more talented and more productive on the flank. Thomas is the most physical receiver in this draft, not to mention the most talented.

Link

Michigan State

Comment: The NFL's 30th-ranked passing attack needs to get bigger, stronger, tougher, more talented and more productive on the flank. Thomas is the most physical

Seems like the direction, to me. Unless we get our socks knocked off with a trade offer, I expect to hear a press conference from the Bills stating, "We didn't want to risk losing our guy." I'm not crazy about it, but I'm not upset, either.

If this were to happen, you can just about count on Lee Evans playing out the final year of his contract next year, if he even shows up without a trade demand. Thomas would probably want to be a #1 receiver, given the fact he was the 1st receiver drafted this year and picked even higher than Evans. Just too many negatives down the road making this pick, IMO. Take Harvey and let Schobel and/or Kelsay/Denney walk.

If this were to happen, you can just about count on Lee Evans playing out the final year of his contract next year, if he even shows up without a trade demand. Thomas would probably want to be a #1 receiver, given the fact he was the 1st receiver drafted this year and picked even higher than Evans. Just too many negatives down the road making this pick, IMO. Take Harvey and let Schobel and/or Kelsay/Denney walk.

I don't think your points aboout Evans are a reason to steer away fron drafting a top WR today. First, it is very possible that Evans has already decided to leave next year. Second, Evans would likely be very happy to have a very good WR opposite him so he can stop getting doouble covered every play. Lastly, there are several teams with at least two WRs capable of being a #1 and it is working well (see the Pats* last year).

Link

Michigan State

Comment: The NFL's 30th-ranked passing attack needs to get bigger, stronger, tougher, more talented and more productive on the flank. Thomas is the most physical receiver in this draft, not to mention the most talented.

I see he has Rivers sinking like the stone you predicted. Are you slow-cooking that crow for me to eat later?

GO BILLS!!!

Nah, you're blowing it out of proportion. He's still a rookie that hasn't proven anything. If we draft Thomas at 11, I fully expect the Bills to re-sign Evans. Or at least tag him for a year to see what we have in Thomas. But Thomas won't assume he's the number one guy.

Nah, you're blowing it out of proportion. He's still a rookie that hasn't proven anything. If we draft Thomas at 11, I fully expect the Bills to re-sign Evans. Or at least tag him for a year to see what we have in Thomas. But Thomas won't assume he's the number one guy.

One of my reasons for thinking that drafting Thomas (with the #11 pick) will upset the apple cart, so to speak, is the fact that his agent is Rosenhaus and the turmoil that he tends to cause. I just don't know if taking a WR at 11 is the best move for a team that really has very few veterans that lead in the locker room and Evans is one of the most tenured leaders on this team. He already has asked to re-negotiate/extend his contract to stay in Buffalo and the drafting of a WR higher than he was picked might hasten his exit.

My thinking with taking Harvey is that, IMO, Schobel is expendable. Word is that he (Schobel) isn't the best locker room guy, doesn't like to practice and doesn't like to show up for the off-season work outs. Couple that with his ridiculous contract and lack of production for a guy being paid in the top 5 at his position, he can be replaced by a high draft pick.