Professional Panhandler

erynthered

Hey, it's free enterprise. If people are dumb enough to support her, than she's earned it.

My Dad used to tell a story about one time a bum approached him in NYC and asked for money because he was 'hungry'. My Dad happened to be on the way in to a coffee shop so he offered to buy the bum a cup of coffee and something to eat. Naturally the bum wasn't interested and refused the offer.

Best one i have seen happened to me in NYC bout 20 yrs ago now. It was about 8.00pm.Very professional man standing outside a subway stop(can't remember what stop exactly, but somewhere in mid- town), nice suit, tie, breifcase etc comes up to me as i was heading to a bar to meet some friends. Says he went to a happy hr, got liquored up, and went with a hooker to her place. Says the hooker rolled him, took his wallet, and he really needed to get home to Long Island before his wife got suspicious. Between subway and LIR, would cost him like $6.50 to get home.

Hey, I am a guy, i have sympathy for him, so give him a $10 and say get a beer on the train on me, sounds like ya need it. There but for the grace of God eh?

Come out the bar like 45 minutes later, guy forgets me, and tries to hit me up again LOL. I am sure this guy made a pretty good living doing that, almost every guy would feel for him no?

classic stuff...I have a few stories along this line.

1) A girl I know saw a guy without shoes in NYC in winter begging and went and bought some boots for him. Next day, guy wasn’t wearing the boots. Probably made 3x as much with his shoes off.

2) Along the lines of plzn – I’ve seen one lady who is great at it. She is dressed well and has bags in her hands and her purse out as if she is looking through it and says “somehow I left my wallet at home..do you have $2 for the bus?”. Very convincing.

3) Last year on 34th street some lady asked me for money. I was walking into dunkin donuts and felt kind that morning, so I said no but I’ll buy you breakfast. As I start opening the door to Dunkin Donuts she says - I kid you not - “no…I want McDonalds”. For some reason I still got her breakfast at DD, should have told her to f off.

4) A few years ago on a REALLY cold morning near my house (sub 10 degrees) I make eye contact with a 65 year old homeless guy as I’m leaving to get some coffee. I get my coffee, come walking back and we make eye contact again…for some reason I felt like I had to say something so I open my big fat mouth and say “it’s cold out, huh?” and as I realize what I just said the guy goes “I KNOW IT'S COLD – I LIVE OUTSIDE”…I gave him my coffee and my donut and ran home ...

There was a Barney Miller Episode about this. The guy lost his job years ago and asked someone for subway money and when he found out how easy it was he would come in from the suburbs every day and go to work and support his family at home in Long Island. :beer: Obviously these people have seen that episode too.

I'm from Seattle, I came down here to live with my boyfriend and he ended up kicking me out a week before Christmas," says Megan.

And it is because of that, Megan says she's spent the last few months begging for money, hoping to make enough cash to buy a bus ticket back to Seattle.

“I need about $139 for a ticket,” says Megan.

But when it comes to panhandling, Megan has a very interesting secret. It turns out that everything written on her broken piece of cardboard is a carefully constructed lie.

I was hit up by this exact scam just a few words different. The woman accosted me outside my apartment in the city and she said she needed bus fare because her boyfriend beat her and she was hungry. I didn't have any money on me but I told her I'd go in and make her a sandwich. I went in and made her a sandwich and got her a coke and she ate it like she was starving. I now realize this was part of the scam to add authenticity to her plight.

A year later the same lady approached me with the exact same story and I said: "I know who you are! You pulled this same crap..." I couldn't finish before she ran off. The stupid biotch probably has a house in Pittsford. :unsure:

when i first moved to richmond, i worked for the richmond times dispatch, everytime i saw a panhandler at an intersection i was stopped at, i would give them the classified section of the paper, you would not believe the look of disbelief i would get from these people. here i was offering them a solution...all they wanted was $$ for their next fix....they ruined my compassion towards the panhandler nation....then i saw a story in the same paper i was working for where they reported that a few of the "beggars" were pulling in 4 bills a week.......sorry...homey don't play that! :unsure:

There's a scam going on where a foreign woman will approach someone and tell them that she has won the lottery but because she's an illegal alien she can't claim it. So she offers the ticket up to be split with the mark. She takes the mark to a store to check the numbers and sure enough the numbers match! At that point the mark is convinced they have a real situation going on. The scammer tells the mark that she has to be able to trust him so he has to give her $5000 or whatever the mark may have in their account. After the mark brings her the money she pretends to be sick and asks the mark to go get her some tylenol and gives him the ticket. When he comes back she's gone. When he takes the ticket to the store it has the winning numbers from the day before on it.

Sleazy but well crafted.

Call me rude or selfish, I've never gave a panhandler anything and never will. Now giving to charity or other reputable non-profit organizations is a whole different story, I'm all for it. This girl should get shivved, taken out to the middle of somewhere she's never been and left to really have to panhandle to get home.

I have a few stories about panhandlers. I always give money to charity's and will buy food or a cup of coffee for someone who is not bullshiting and I have talked to plenty of homeless people. If any panhandler asks me for money I am skeptical and I give them the third degree. Here are two stories-

I was out partying with friends in New Haven by Yale, and while waiting in line to get into a club a lady asked me for money so she could buy diapers for her baby. I said there is a Store 24 right there- lets go, I will buy you diapers. She said no, she wanted the money. Me and my friends went off on her. What a scumbag!

Another time on a Friday I was in New Haven with a buddy of mine who used to live in DC. Well on the corner of the green there was a guy crying. The guy could of won an Oscar- he was good. Well he said that his mother lived in DC, someone broke into her house, beat her badly, his mother was in the hospital, and he was $68 short of a train ticket to DC to visit his injured mother. He showed us a ticket that said he need $68 and was very convincing. My buddy and I talked, both of us were off that weekend, he had friends down there, we decided to offer a ride to the guy to DC right there. He refused, and we went off. Two weeks later we were partying in New Haven- there was that POS telling the same story.

Alright- I always have an NPR story! Here is one I heard the other day. A writer saw a homeless guy in LA playing violin beautifully in front of a statue of Beethoven(I think it was Beethoven). Anyways he passed him all the time, and started to talk to him. Well he and the homeless guy became friends. The homeless guy told him he went to Juliard. One day the homeless guy started writing names around the statue of his classmates. The writer called Juliard and they confirmed that the homeless guy did indeed go to Juliard in the early 70's. The homeless guy was schizophrenic, but he loved music, it was his passion. In front of where he played his violin he had a sign that read "little Disney Hall". Well the friendship grew, and the writer got the homeless guy to meet with the musicians at the Walt Disney Hall. He wrote the story, and it is gonna be made into a film called "The Soloist". Well the writer talked the homeless guy into playing with the orchestra and it was arranged, and it was gonna get filmed. On the day he was to play, the writer found him playing his music by his statue. He says- come on, it is the big day, lets go. Well the homeless guy said "you know, I am playing really well and onto something, I am gonna stay here and play." So long story short, the writer went to the concert, while the homeless guy did his passion and played his violin outside all by himself. The writer said "you know we named the film right when we called it "The Soloist".

Have I mentioned that I love NPR?

everytime i saw a panhandler at an intersection i was stopped at, i would give them the classified section of the paper

when i pass people that are panhandling and shake their change cups at me, i usually reply, "No thanks, you keep the money" :lol:

You are my hero. :D

The one group of people I will occasionally drop change for are the musicians. Usually young and playing violin, clarinet, bass or singing. (This does not include the annoying old people who chant scripture at the bottom of the stairs leading to the subway in the Lexington Passage). Some of them are really good.