(OT)Anyone want to look at my securitypresentation

Fezmid

All,

As some may remember, I'm offering a community education class on "Computer Security for the Home PC" I teach the class Monday (so far only 3 people have signed up... But hey). Anyway, I just finished the Powerpoint presentation and was hoping someone would be kind enough to look it over for me. Let me know if you see any typos, errors, omissions. Let me know if there are any topics that you'd be interested in hearing but that I didn't cover. Stuff like that.

I've saved the Power Point presentation as a webpage - unfortunately, looks like it works MUCH better in IE than it does in Mozilla, although Mozilla is functional (just not as clean looking)

Thanks for anyone's help (assuming anyone here is interested in this topic at 9pm on a Friday night... *grin*).

http://www.fezam.com/security/

CW

Great job Fezmid!

I'm a pretty big MS supporter and I haven't always agreed with some of your recommendations on the forum, but this presentation is solid and very professional.

Only one thing I would add - in the backups I didn't see a mention of what should be backed up (you mentioned the files types but not the location). I usually recommend that users stick with "My Documents" for all of their files and then only back up that directory. It also makes it easier if you need to use the Files and Settings transfer wizard.

Good luck with the class - I think your slides flow very well and your audience will appreciate it.

It looks pretty good to me. Only thing you might want to change. The definition of a virus is any program that replicates itself. Most attach themselves to a program, however Ninda and Code Red used an exploit and ran in memory. I'd also give the link for trendmicros free online virus scan. housecall.antivirus.com

I glossed through it and it looks pretty good.

One thing I'm recommending to a lot of people (especially those less technically savvy) is to ditch Microsoft Explorer. Opera and/or Mozilla Firefox browsers work just as well (or better) and don't have a lot of the MAJOR security flaws that Explorer has.

71935[/snapback]

D'oh! I had that section written and I meant to move it somewhere else but then just forgot! :blink::doh::doh:

Thanks, I'll be putting that in for sure (the section was already written! :P ).

CW

It looks pretty good to me.  Only thing you might want to change.  The definition of a virus is any program that replicates itself.  Most attach themselves to a program, however Ninda and Code Red used an exploit and ran in memory.  I'd also give the link for trendmicros free online virus scan.  housecall.antivirus.com

71936[/snapback]

Technically Code Red and Nimda are worms, not viruses...

http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-19.html

But I'm still not sure I like that definition I have regardless. I might try making it a bit better (and include worms as well perhaps).

CW

From one Christopher to another :lol: ,

The only thing I might change is moving No 5 to No 1.

This might help you to know your audience a bit better and allow you to tailor your Intro more to them.

Other than that (and as a Mozilla fan, the suggestion above) it looks great! I'm sure once the word gets out, you'll have alot more than 3 people attending future sessions!

Out of curiosity, how are you marketing your class?

Out of curiosity, how are you marketing your class?

I'm teaching the class through the local "community education" program, so I'm not marketing it myself. Basically they send a class schedule out to everyone in the city. There's classes ranging from faux painting to piano lessons to computer classes. Everyone in the city can see it, but I don't know how many people look at the brochure. I know my wife and I do (and she's taken a couple of classes in the past).

CW