Would drafting Keith Rivers be a much smarter move

I have this nagging feeling that Keith Rivers is going to be a monster defensive player on the next level. Should the Bills really take the need over much greater value with that first pick? I mean, think about how strong our front seven would be having Rivers in there. I think he's going to be a much better player than either Crowell or Mitchell and the Bills wouldn't have to worry about injury as much. Having Rivers, Poz, Mitchell, Stroud added to our 2008 defense would be sick I tell ya.

In regards to the WR position, I think that the Bills should go value with the first pick, then trade back into the later part of the first round to get Sweed, Hardy or Kelly. Three WRs who actually have production more than one season, something that is Thomas' biggest concern. I don't think he's worth risking that #11 pick to find out if he isn't just a one year wonder. Give up a 4th and 5th to jump ahead of SF in the second and draft Hardy or Kelly (whichever one is hopefully still there).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this nagging feeling that Keith Rivers is going to be a monster defensive player on the next level. Should the Bills really take the need over much greater value with that first pick? I mean, think about how strong our front seven would be having Rivers in there. I think he's going to be a much better player than either Crowell or Mitchell and the Bills wouldn't have to worry about injury as much. Having Rivers, Poz, Mitchell, Stroud added to our 2008 defense would be sick I tell ya.

In regards to the WR position, I think that the Bills should go value with the first pick, then trade back into the later part of the first round to get Sweed, Hardy or Kelly. Three WRs who actually have production more than one season, something that is Thomas' biggest concern. I don't think he's worth risking that #11 pick to find out if he isn't just a one year wonder. Give up a 4th and 5th to jump ahead of SF in the second and draft Hardy or Kelly (whichever one is hopefully still there).

Rivers, Harvey or Albert would all be better picks than any WR at #11

we have some LBs. we have only one WR.

we scored a sickeningly low number of TDs last season.

we have powered up our front 7 in a big way, 4 starters and 5 total guys that were either hurt or not on our team last year.

I would not have a problem at all drafting Rivers. Are we that much in love with Crowell that we are not even looking for an upgrade. & besides, I believe he is a free agent after this year. My dream draft would go like this.

The bills trade down to the 19th spot with Eagles & in return get Lito Shepperd. At 19, we take Devin Thomas or Sweed & then with our second round pick we take the LB from Penn St. Highly unlikely but you never know.

Two posts of agreement in one week? That's either a sign of the Apocalypse or I need to get my head examined. AGAIN!

Seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing Rivers at all. I don't think he falls that far though.

GO BILLS!!!

That's a crappy idea.

Would drafting Keith Rivers be a much smarter move, than drafting Devin Thomas?

No.

Here's what I think...

Probability of Rivers being an very good player (possible pro bowler) on the next level should be around 90%. (given the high success rate at the LB position)

Probability of Devin Thomas (not pro bowl material) being a very good player on the next level should be around 40-50%. (given the high bust rate at the WR position)

There's a big risk in taking Devin Thomas at #11 and passing over players that are almost guaranteed high impact like Rivers. I'd much rather finish off the defensive rebuild and get a WR with a much longer track record.

Two posts of agreement in one week? That's either a sign of the Apocalypse or I need to get my head examined. AGAIN!

Seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing Rivers at all. I don't think he falls that far though.

GO BILLS!!!

Now that crazy!!

True, there's a very good chance Rivers gets picked before us.

Should the Bills really take the need over much greater value with that first pick?

In regards to the WR position, I think that the Bills should go value with the first pick, then trade back into the later part of the first round to get Sweed, Hardy or Kelly.

Rivers, Harvey or Albert would all be better picks than any WR at #11

Agreed - I am hoping that the FO is playing a little misdirection game with the love they've been giving Thomas in the press of late - reaching for the guy at 11 would be a mistake - especially given that there's depth at the position this year.

we have some LBs. we have only one WR.

we scored a sickeningly low number of TDs last season.

we have powered up our front 7 in a big way, 4 starters and 5 total guys that were either hurt or not on our team last year.

all true - but i still say you don't reach for him at 11 based on need - and if you really want thomas in round 1, then trade down and get some additional value.

Here's what I think...

Probability of Rivers being an very good player (possible pro bowler) on the next level should be around 90%. (given the high success rate at the LB position)

Probability of Devin Thomas (not pro bowl material) being a very good player on the next level should be around 40-50%. (given the high bust rate at the WR position)

There's a big risk in taking Devin Thomas at #11 and passing over players that are almost guaranteed high impact like Rivers. I'd much rather finish off the defensive rebuild and get a WR with a much longer track record.

Why draft a backup with the first pick? ;)

Because you build your depth through the draft and with Angelo Crowell set to be an UFA after 2008 you have his replacement already in place. Not to mention if go by the philosophy that the draft is about getting the best collection of players then you take a guy who arguably ranks out far higher then any WR, CB or TE that are anticipated to be available with pick #11.

Because you build your depth through the draft and with Angelo Crowell set to be an UFA after 2008 you have his replacement already in place. Not to mention if go by the philosophy that the draft is about getting the best collection of players then you take a guy who arguably ranks out far higher then any WR, CB or TE that are anticipated to be available with pick #11.

Or you just keep Crowell and instead of walking on a treadmill, you fill another position where you need players.

I swear, some people around here wouldn't know a game-changing playmaker if he fell on their head. Is anyone REALLY serious in thinking Crowell is a better LB than Rivers? Please don't suggest he possesses the same pure athleticism. If Rivers is everyting he appears to be it's a no-brainer. But he's not going to be there for us to take because teams drafting ahead of us know the same thing. He has the potential to be a GAME CHANGER in the mold of Cornelius Bennett. Instant impact kind of player. I'd bet those who don't want Rivers wouldn't have wanted Bennett either and would have been storming the FO with pitchforks and shovels when Polian announced what we gave up to get him.

It's FAR easier for a blue chip rookie defender to have an impact than a blue chip offensive player. Been like that since they first laced them up.

GO BILLS!!!

Keith rivers had ZERO sacks last year. Explain to me how he is going to be such an impact. Crowell, Mitchell and Poz can tackle just fine

You are drafting Rivers with the upside of being an impact playmaker.

Even if he does not start from day 1, he will play a lot in a rotation.

Passing up impact players just to draft an inferior WR - because he is tall is plain dumb.

Especially with the historical trend that the WR won't produce significantly in year 1 (or year 2 for taht matter)