This is probably a dumb question about the draft

Now that the Dolphins signed Jake Long as their #1 overall pick, can the Rams do the same with the 2nd overall, and so on?

And would they even consider this? I think maybe they should, especially if they want Dorsey.

This is not a dumb question at all. I believe that the Rams can go ahead and start negotiations, however at this point it would be more difficult to sign because agents get more leverage as it gets closer to training camp and teams want the rookies there. It is easier to sign the top overall choice because a player wants the prestige of going first overall and is more likely to want to enter contract talks. Everyone after him is going to play hardball

I don't think it has ever been done. I believe the reason is because the team would rather wait until draft day in case some team offers them a last second deal for the pick. For the Dolphins, it was clear no one was trading up that high without a clear-cut number one prospect.

it is absolutely stupid to not have the player signed before the draft to avoid the massive holdout and extortion demands to accompany the top unsigned player.

Rams can trade the pick now if there are any takers.

Nothing will change between now and the draft to prevent them signing their guy now and saving huge money in the process.

Doplphis signed Long for LESS money than Russell got last year instead of teh 15% increase the agents are looking for.

it is absolutely stupid to not have the player signed before the draft to avoid the massive holdout and extortion demands to accompany the top unsigned player.

Rams can trade the pick now if there are any takers.

Nothing will change between now and the draft to prevent them signing their guy now and saving huge money in the process.

Doplphis signed Long for LESS money than Russell got last year instead of teh 15% increase the agents are looking for.

Exhibit A- 2007 Raiders- The most dysfunctional franchise in football.

Now that the Dolphins signed Jake Long as their #1 overall pick, can the Rams do the same with the 2nd overall, and so on?

And would they even consider this? I think maybe they should, especially if they want Dorsey.

They are not allowed:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Tuesday that the St. Louis Rams, who hold the second pick in the NFL draft, were told today by the NFL management council that they do not have permission to begin negotiations with any player now that the Dolphins have signed Long. A league spokesman said there have been internal discussions to determine whether the Rams have the right to negotiate with a player or players.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424

They are not allowed:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Tuesday that the St. Louis Rams, who hold the second pick in the NFL draft, were told today by the NFL management council that they do not have permission to begin negotiations with any player now that the Dolphins have signed Long. A league spokesman said there have been internal discussions to determine whether the Rams have the right to negotiate with a player or players.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424

The Rams are on the clock and should sign whoever they can.

The league has no reason to delay the signing other than to placate the network televising the draft.

The Rams are on the clock and should sign whoever they can.

The league has no reason to delay the signing other than to placate the network televising the draft.

I agree to a point. I am sure there is a lot of movement going on behind the scenes that we will never know about, but if all of the draftees started signing and dropping one by one, it would kind of ruin the spirit and excitement of the draft imo.

I agree to a point. I am sure there is a lot of movement going on behind the scenes that we will never know about, but if all of the draftees started signing and dropping one by one, it would kind of ruin the spirit and excitement of the draft imo.

I guess that would one heck of an incentive to implement a rookie wage scale like the NBA to avoid the ridiculous holdouts and contract demands of the top 5 NFL picks.

I wonder what the Rams are doing right now? I mean they know they are "on the clock" and I have to think they know EXACTLY who they are taking. They are probably just sitting... waiting for round 2 to begin at this point. Are they even allowed to talk to Dorsey's (or Long's) agent?