Hardy not a character risk

Take this for what it's worth. Teams leak misinformation all the time, but maybe they really don't think character comes into question with this guy. Doesn't mean they pick him though

BILLS SAY WR HARDY NOT A CHARACTER RISK: The Bills have done their due diligence on upwards of 500 players for the past 10 months and that includes Indiana WR James Hardy, who has a domestic incident and two-game team suspension in his college career. Said Hardy at the combine about his transgressions.

"As a young man I never had anyone to actually sit me down and tell me things I've done wrong, so I've learned from my mistakes," said Hardy. "I can honestly tell you as a man right here that I've made mistakes in the past and I've learned from them and they won't happen again in any other area I'm at. That's all I can do and just show them the actual person that I am. That's what coach Hep (Terry Hoeppner) talked about a lot. He told me to just show the world the type of man you are. That's all I can do."

The Bills don't believe Hardy to be a character risk.

“I think he had a rough upbringing," said Bills scout Tom Roth. "I don’t think he’s a bad kid at all. He just had a rough upbringing and that’s the way I see it. You can’t knock him for that. You have to give him some credit just for what he’s been through. I wouldn’t say he’s a character risk.”

For more check out Bills Roundup in the multimedia section.

The Bills are in full bullsh--t mode. And I love it. I don't know what to believe. Which, I believe, is the point.

Agreed. Ever since the Stroud situation where no one could even tell if he was in the darn building, I have had a high degree of confidence in this front office to mask their intentions and moves, which is exactly what you need to do in this league.

For some other teams, "reporters" like Mort and Clayton know exactly what is going on five minutes after it happens because there are so many leaks. The Bills have done a good job of controlling the information that comes out in the way they want it to.

There are no cab drivers.

I love Hardy, especially if hes our second round pick or we have to trade back up to secure him. Reminds me of Vincent Jackson as a prospect, except a little better plus he comes from a real conference and thus, is more proven.

I would also like to see Hardy be a pick, not at #11, but some time between #18 and #41.

I think he provides the most problems for a defense when lining up with Evans.

Add Fred Davis or Martellus Bennett, and Marshawn, and your defense has a lot to think about.

I don't know if I want a player that needs to be told not to hit a woman.

First Seargent always told the whole company at Friday formation before the weekend three simple rules to follow. The rules where,

1. No swimming without a buddy

2. no sex without a condom

3 If you are in a room with a woman that needs to get hit, leave the room

Like I said before, I want this guy on our team, but I don't like him at 11, yet he won't be around come pick 41. And so, naturally I wouldn't be upset if we took him at 11, but ideally I would like us to trade down to get him.

The Bills haven't talked about him much, which leads me to believe they're interested in him, especially when you consider this simple fact:

HE IS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED FROM THE WR POSITION.

A touchdown machine who is a more athletic version of Plaxico Burress... scary.

Like I said before, I want this guy on our team, but I don't like him at 11, yet he won't be around come pick 41. And so, naturally I wouldn't be upset if we took him at 11, but ideally I would like us to trade down to get him.

The Bills haven't talked about him much, which leads me to believe they're interested in him, especially when you consider this simple fact:

HE IS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED FROM THE WR POSITION.

A touchdown machine who is a more athletic version of Plaxico Burress... scary.

If you think he's "exactly what we need at the WR position" and he's a "touchdown machine" then why wouldn't you pick him at 11? Because someone told you that was too high?

If you think he's "exactly what we need at the WR position" and he's a "touchdown machine" then why wouldn't you pick him at 11? Because someone told you that was too high?

Agreed, it's not about what draft pundits say.. it's about his grade on the teams draft board.

Good point. Don't get me wrong here either, I would have no problem if we took him at 11.

What I mean is that if you can trade down and STILL get your guy, why wouldn't you?

In the process you would:

a) pick up more picks to fill more needs/fascilitate other trades.

b) STILL get your guy.

c) pay him LESS money.

Do you agree?

Good point. Don't get me wrong here either, I would have no problem if we took him at 11.

What I mean is that if you can trade down and STILL get your guy, why wouldn't you?

b) STILL get your guy.

c) pay him LESS money.

Do you agree?

I agree, but there's a big "if." How do you know he will be available when you pick after the trade down?

If I'm a GM, and I have my guy locked in as the right fit for the team, I wouldn't take the chance of having him not be there. Whoever we want, if there is a specific player, we should just pick him where we are. I think if there isn't a defined guy, then trade down, but if he you believe he is that big of a player, just draft him.

b) STILL get your guy.

c) pay him LESS money.

Do you agree?

I think the trick is to not get so enamoured about one guy so that trading down to a spot like--oh, Minnesota, Philly or Seattle--isn't so scary. You know you will still get a good WR as well as a 3rd Rounder at the least. Look at the bonus players at those 3rd Rounder picks. You get to pick two, your regular third rounder and the third rounder you got for trading "down" for that WR you needed anyway!

-----72 Mike Pollak OC Arizona St (Mangold 2?)

-----89 John Carlson TE - ND 272, above avg block,10ypc (If first 2 picks aren't TE, do it)

-----77 Tyvon Branch CB - CT (BB gun incident keeps him out of the top CB's, he's fastest)

-----71 Xavier Adibi OLB Virginia Tech (steal of the round, 3rd best OLB after Rivers, Groves)

-----80 Tyrell Johnson SS -Arkansas St (would compete for a turn at starter)

-----88 Bruce Davis OLB - UCLA (love his swagger, love his blitz)

-----79 Eddie Royal WR - Va Tech 4.3 (Kick Returns and a possession receiver)

-----81 Ray Rice RB Rutgers (don't need one, but I expect him to fall to here, so great value)

-----78 Erin Henderson OLB Maryland (another player who fell after real football was over)

-----91 Andre Woodson QB- Kentucky (a little early for the next backup, but would be good)

-----101 Josh Johnson QB - SD- 6'3 4.5 (Lynch cousin--wait til the late 5th/6th for Dixon)

I agree, but there's a big "if." How do you know he will be available when you pick after the trade down?

If I'm a GM, and I have my guy locked in as the right fit for the team, I wouldn't take the chance of having him not be there. Whoever we want, if there is a specific player, we should just pick him where we are. I think if there isn't a defined guy, then trade down, but if he you believe he is that big of a player, just draft him.

Yeah. If you're that enamoured with a guy, take him. But if you're willing to take the chance, trade down, and if your guy isn't there, then just take the guy who's next on your draftboard.

ya i think we might be strongly considering Hardy as our guy because his name hasnt been tossed around much and i wouldnt be surprised if we took him at 11 and 2nd i would love him to become the next Plaxico Burress for the bills, sounds good right.....right?

And obviously we arent considered with his "character" concerns.....and that is all Chris Brown said might hold him back from being a Bill...so now it shouldnt...should it?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stroud for Pro Bowl 2008

I would also like to see Hardy be a pick, not at #11, but some time between #18 and #41.

I think he provides the most problems for a defense when lining up with Evans.

Add Fred Davis or Martellus Bennett, and Marshawn, and your defense has a lot to think about.

I think you nailed it with this one. Hardy would be an excellent addition, and is perhaps the best upside prospect in the draft. Getting him at 19 and adding a pick in the second or third would allow us to get Davis, or Bennet and then grab Mike Pollack at center in the third. Your scenario is exactly what I am hoping for.