Redskins offer a # 1 and # 3 to the Bengals for Chad Johnson

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Floyd Reese was right. (God, I hate sayign that). Someone offered a first and second/third for Chad.

I never thought that would happen - but makes sense that the Redskins would do it. This has Daniel Snyder's signature all over it.

Did anyone consider the cap hit the Bengals take in the a$$ if they accepted the Skins deal? The reminder of his amortized bonus money rolls to the 08 cap. After June 15... to 09. Think that might have something to do with it?

The bengals FO are a bunch of Dumbasses IMO.

No sh*t!!

The Bengals FO should have screamed, "YES!", as soon as they heard the words, "We'll give you a 1st and..."

Dumbasses.

Do they really think Chad's perceived value is going to get any higher? Espcially AFTER the draft.. the three teams involved in negotiations for Johnson (Phili, Washington and Dallas) could quite possibly all draft WRs in the 1st rd.

Did anyone consider the cap hit the Bengals take in the a$$ if they accepted the Skins deal? The reminder of his amortized bonus money rolls to the 08 cap. After June 15... to 09. Think that might have something to do with it?

FWIW, this was in the blog under the original link in the Washington Post:

This from ESPN:

"Trading Johnson also would mean Cincinnati would take an $8 million salary-cap hit, but that amount could be split over the next two years. Additionally, as one owner who wished to remain anonymous told ESPN.com, "There's nothing wrong with dead money. It's cash already paid and it's cash back in your pocket that you don't have to spend, especially with the [high] amount of everyone's salary cap these days."

It may be that the Bengals simply don't want to weaken their offense (and getting rid of Johnson SEVERELY weakens them). Remember when everyone thought Price could be a #1? I'm not sure the Bengals want to find out the same with Houshmenzadah (sp).

Then again it's all pre-draft posturing at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

I know it appears like this should have been a slam dunk for the Bengals, but it's not.

Look at it like this. Let's say the Bengals use the Redskins' first rounder this year for Sweed, Kelly or Hardy. They would have to hope any of them would become as good a receiver as Johnson. So basically all they would be gaining is a third rounder next year. In terms of production, it probably won't help them much. So the trade simply comes down to what's more important: Ridding Johnson of your team or keeping him and seeing how that unfolds.

No sh*t!!

The Bengals FO should have screamed, "YES!", as soon as they heard the words, "We'll give you a 1st and..."

Dumbasses.

Do they really think Chad's perceived value is going to get any higher? Espcially AFTER the draft.. the three teams involved in negotiations for Johnson (Phili, Washington and Dallas) could quite possibly all draft WRs in the 1st rd.

Maybe the Bengals FO are thinking... Well this is Chad being Chad... Marvin Lewis has a unique relationship with Chad Johnson. Marvin has to believe that in time Chad will quiet down and play football. Are the Bengals supposed to get rid of every player that runs their mouth? Are they going to be held hostage to players? Plus who are they going to get to replace Chad? They just rid the organization of Chris Henry. They have a great QB, a excellent RB, and 1 WR.... They are a few years removed from a team that many thought would contend with the Colts and Pats..... And now they are to rebuild again if they trade Chad....

If someone offered a 1st and 3rd for Lee Evans would you take it? Maybe... But the question is... Does that make your team better this year. Marvin Lewis is in a critical year. The Bengals dont win next year he is gone... Are you going to trade one of your top playmakers for an unproven Rookie when your job is on the line? I wouldnt. Especially if I believed that I could repair the relationship which I guarantee Marvin Lewis believes he can do in Cincy...

Listen, A first and a third is a fair offer but before we go calling the Bengals FO a bunch of dumbasses maybe we ought to take a few things into account like this is a must win year...

With this logic... The Bills would have rid themselves of Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, and Andre Reed before they became the stars they became for us... Jim Kelly said he would NEVER play in Buffalo. I guess the Bills FO were a bunch of dumbasses and should have rid oursleves of that useless ungrateful bastard when we had the chance...

The bengals FO are a bunch of Dumbasses IMO.

If the Bengals let him go it sets a bad precedent for future players who get P.O.'d at the team. I don't think they can do it unless they get a ridiculously great offer. Even then it can lead to a bunch of whining whenever someone wants out or a bigger contract or whatever. I wouldn't do it unless they offered two first rounders and third.

FWIW, this was in the blog under the original link in the Washington Post:

This from ESPN:

"Trading Johnson also would mean Cincinnati would take an $8 million salary-cap hit, but that amount could be split over the next two years. Additionally, as one owner who wished to remain anonymous told ESPN.com, "There's nothing wrong with dead money. It's cash already paid and it's cash back in your pocket that you don't have to spend, especially with the [high] amount of everyone's salary cap these days."

It may be that the Bengals simply don't wan't to weaken their offense (and getting rid of Johnson SEVERELY weakens them). Remember when everyone thought Price could be a #1? I'm not sure the Bengals want to find out the same with Houshmenzadah (sp).

Then again it's all pre-draft posturing at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

If Johnson returns his signing bonus they won't take a hit at all and then Snyder could pay him the money back in a new contract. If I were the Bengals I'd smash the team except for Carson Palmer and a couple of other guys and take a whole new approach with character guys after firing Marvin Lewis. Maybe they should trade him and then fire Lewis at the end of the year.

cap hit to the bengals will be 8 million and some change

They don't call them the Bungles for nothing.

I don't doubt Johnson will sit out this year, and the Bengals will have nothing to help boost there WR's which is now down to TJ if they play hard ball with CJ

the cap hit is nothing, they take the hit wether Chad is on the team or not, or wether he sits out or not.

i guess it would be up to Chad to pay back the Bengals some coin if he really wants to move on. however not taking the 1st rd pick with a possibility of a 2nd 1st rd pick is just stoopid.

Floyd Reese was right. (God, I hate sayign that). Someone offered a first and second/third for Chad.

I never thought that would happen - but makes sense that the Redskins would do it. This has Daniel Snyder's signature all over it.

Was he right, or was it self-fulfilling prophesy? Dan Snyder hears Floyd Reese and immediately responds with an offer.

PTR

They don't call them the Bungles for nothing.

I don't doubt Johnson will sit out this year, and the Bengals will have nothing to help boost there WR's which is now down to TJ if they play hard ball with CJ

the cap hit is nothing, they take the hit wether Chad is on the team or not, or wether he sits out or not.

i guess it would be up to Chad to pay back the Bengals some coin if he really wants to move on. however not taking the 1st rd pick with a possibility of a 2nd 1st rd pick is just stoopid.

Well, we know that they'll now try to go after a WR in this draft. Question is, where will they draft one?