Defense Still Needs Help

Rockinon

I found this article reasonably accurate in thier assessment of team needs.

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/a...les/bills/10956

My only concern is that many think that reciever and corner are our most pressing needs. It would be nice to see Brady making mistakes because he can't handle having someone consistently in his face. I would like to see a mean and nasty pass rush. Whether it is an additional defensive end or another big lineman capable of collapsing the pocket doesn't really matter to me. Either way, it is my humble opinion that this is our greatest need. I am confident that our linebackers are more than capable of helping out with the pass rush. What I would like to know is who the members on this discussion board thinks is the best draft choice for effectively getting to the QB. Some would argue that powerful linemen can free up the defensive ends and linebackers to rush. Others may feel that an additional Defensive End can be more effective. Who is the best choice for us given the ordering of our draft choices?

Keep in mind that the two top DTs and DEs will likely be gone before we pick at number 11.

We are hurting and need to realize that we overachieved last season. Neither the offensive or defensive line is close to being set. The 1990's are so far removed that there are people who think that the OL is now a strength. Even with Stroud, our DL isn't nearly good enough.

Our WR's and TE's aren't up to snuff- I can agree with that. Special teams are important, but without offense and defense it won't get you too far.

Folks.....we were almost dead last on BOTH sides of the ball....not just defense.

I dont know how our team did as well as they did last year....smoke and mirrors.

I think we really need to turn our attention to offense in the draft now.....we used the offseason to address the defense.

We got 2 new D Linemen

1 Super Bowl LB

1 experienced corner in james

We need offensive weapons now.....

And I will add to that that I actually like the way our D looks now.....

McCargo now starts

Pro Bowl DT playing along side of him

Very underated DT/DL in Spencer Smith backing them up

Schrobel is still schrobel

Healthy Kelsy and Denny (we need to add a pass rusher...maybe in the 2nd round?)

DB's are solid but unspectacular....we added veteran depth

Koy rejoins Whitner in the safety spots

Poz goes back to becoming dominant.......

Injuries killed this defense last year......we are ok here.

Who do we have on offense?

Lee Evans and.........smurfs

No qualtiy Tight End. There might be something in Shoeman

Running back stable is set

Backup to Edwards? Is Losman going to be traded or no?

a versitle OL who can play all 3 positions?

Which side of the ball needs more help?

Folks.....we were almost dead last on BOTH sides of the ball....not just defense.

I dont know how our team did as well as they did last year....smoke and mirrors.

I think we really need to turn our attention to offense in the draft now.....we used the offseason to address the defense.

We got 2 new D Linemen

1 Super Bowl LB

1 experienced corner in james

We need offensive weapons now.....

I agree that we need recievers. I just happen to think that the overall consensus that this is our most pressing need is perhaps flawed. People around here tend to throw stats around too much and based on those numbers, think that they can explain what is best for the team. What the stats don't tell is how more defensive stops often gives the offense more chances to work it's magic. They don't tell how offensive linemen can improve the passing game or running game. The stats also don't show how linemen who do thier jobs will help others on the team to run up those stats. Linemen are by far the most under appreciated positions and as far as I am concerned, it is showing in all of these mock drafts as well.

There is too much "Our passing numbers are low, therfore we need reciever". Why not "Our passing numbers are low therfore we need an Offensive line man". My focus though is I think we have an opportunity to develop a dominant defense. A pass rushing defense that can actually strike fear into the eyes of opposing quartebacks. I just want to know who people think is available in this draft to be that kind of an impact player. It seems everyone is dead set on reciever and corner for the first pick and I think that there is a valid arguement for a good DT or DE and also get better value at number 11. It seems I am alone in this kind of reasoning.

And I will add to that that I actually like the way our D looks now.....

McCargo now starts

Pro Bowl DT playing along side of him

Very underated DT/DL in Spencer Smith backing them up

Schrobel is still schrobel

Healthy Kelsy and Denny (we need to add a pass rusher...maybe in the 2nd round?)

DB's are solid but unspectacular....we added veteran depth

Koy rejoins Whitner in the safety spots

Poz goes back to becoming dominant.......

Injuries killed this defense last year......we are ok here.

Well both sides need a lot of help. But DE is essential for us to go anywhere. We need a passrush desperately. We can also get a WR (maybe Chad...or a 2nd)

How about- "Lee Evans and a bunch of guys who will likely beat out any WR we could draft at #11".

BU QB (3rd-5th)

Utility OL (3-5th)

Looks like we can still do what the best teams do- consider the best D talent at the top of the draft board.

While it would be nice to pick up a DE, here are some thing to consider:

1. we havent upgraded a horrendous offense, but have aded 3 solid players on the defensive front 7

2. Stroud can go a long way helping McCargo and helping free up our DEs

3. In 2006, our DEs alone racked up 26.5 sacks. They can still do it.

Wow, is everyone here infatuated with wide recievers around here? Where are the fans that remember what it was like to have a real pass rush?

Hit the nail on the head. I dont deny we need a reciever, however to say we dont need a DE is kidding ourselves. My personal opinion is that DE's are more important then recievers. I also feel that the redzone offense will improve if the new O-cordinator decides to run inside the opponent 7 yard line instead of calling some slow developing pass play. Also if at last we have stability at the QB position with Either TE or Losman( I could care less wich one it is) I see our offense being better(especially with the O-line giving another year to jell). It wont be great offense but it will be middle of the pack type offense. If our defense can add a dominant pass rusher, atleast on paper they have the ability to be a top five in the league this year.

I seem to remember we were among the league leaders in sacks in 2006.... hopefully a strong presence in the middle will bring us back to form. That is what pundits have been saying. It all depends on how the Bills feel about it though, if they feel we need an upgrade... they will get it.

Of course we need dline help. We're one injury away from being worse then we were the last 2 seasons. We have a grand total of 1 pass rusher. Please save this stuff about freeing up Kelsay Denney. They're backup material at best. It should continue to be addressed early and often.

Hit the nail on the head. I dont deny we need a reciever, however to say we dont need a DE is kidding ourselves. My personal opinion is that DE's are more important then recievers. I also feel that the redzone offense will improve if the new O-cordinator decides to run inside the opponent 7 yard line instead of calling some slow developing pass play. Also if at last we have stability at the QB position with Either TE or Losman( I could care less wich one it is) I see our offense being better(especially with the O-line giving another year to jell). It wont be great offense but it will be middle of the pack type offense. If our defense can add a dominant pass rusher, atleast on paper they have the ability to be a top five in the league this year.

Uh, our entire red zone offense last year was:

1. Run

2. Run

3. bootleg/run

4. FG

Of course we need dline help. We're one injury away from being worse then we were the last 2 seasons. We have a grand total of 1 pass rusher. Please save this stuff about freeing up Kelsay Denney. They're backup material at best. It should continue to be addressed early and often.

Kesleys contract alone tells everyone we are not drafting a DE at 11 if at all

As if you would know anything about this? None of us do... so save the stuff about Kelsay and Denney being back ups. If the front office deems that we need a DE upgrade, even after all we have done with DT, then they will get one.