Mel Kipers Four Round Mock Draft

Cornerback is not a need, PERIOD. It would be ridiculous to draft a corner--a low impact position. Draft a pass rusher a la Keith Rivers/Derrick Harvey and your corners will be better.

PLEASE stop the nonsense that corner is needed. For depth, yes--in the sixth round, maybe.

The Bills have clearly shown a willingness to take a player on the first day at a position where they do not have a screaming need (in Youbouty's and Edwards case the positions did become needs pretty quickly though) the question to me is whether they will be willing to do this in the 1st round.

McKelvin sounds like a good player and this pick will not be horrendous, but it shows what a crapshoot in general the draft is.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the sound bites I have heard, it seems like Modrak really likes McKelvin and I see no problem with that pick. He has good size, is extremely quick and is a factor returning kicks and punts. The way they looked at him at the senior bowl, was as the best CB there.

Bills scouts seem to love Jordy Nelson. He has a history of making big plays against quality competition and certainly has excellent size. While I would rather see them take a Sweed or a Kelly, I think Nelson would be an excellent addition and a guy that has the attitude you look for - willing to do anything to help the team.

I could live with those two picks and I can see them taking Kellen Davis in Round 3. By the time they pick, some of the better TEs will be gone and Davis has a lot of upside. He has the absolute TE body and with solid coaching could be a real steal - only problem, it may take a while to develop.

Nice post - thanks.

With Parrish just re-signed I think he'd be a backup there and if he's better than McGee I say cool. Otherwise he's a great backup at those positions.

Cornerback is not a need, PERIOD. It would be ridiculous to draft a corner--a low impact position. Draft a pass rusher a la Keith Rivers/Derrick Harvey and your corners will be better.

PLEASE stop the nonsense that corner is needed. For depth, yes--in the sixth round, maybe.

Have you looked at the Bills roster?! :wallbash:

Keith Rivers or Derrick Harvey probably wouldn't be starters for a couple of years, while I think McKelvin could possibly supplant Greer by opening day.

1. Leodis McKelvin (CB) OK in my book.

2. Jordy Nelson (WR) I agree with devnull here, different skin and different school = easy late 1st/early 2nd

3. Kellen Davis (TE) Good compliment receiving TE to Bobby Royal

4. Xavier Adibi, (LB) Anyone remember pre-FA/combine mocks that had him going to us in the first?

4B. Curtis Johnson, (DE) No clue who he is, but git 'er done Russ/Ghost of Marv.

havey had what, 8 sacks all year?

rivers had zero.

i think you need to re examine the words 'pass' and 'rush'.

I can listen to the pigment argument, but not the school argument. He played at Kansas State, a Big 10 school. It's not exactly Peabody Community College.

Plus Nelson is a football player period. He was used as a punt returner averaging 50yds + per return last year. He was used in all facets of the offense including receiving, running, and passing last year. He came into Kan St as a walk on and played safety as a Freshman/Sophomore. When the recieving core became depleted due to injury, he asked to be switched to WR.

Sounds like a whatever it takes to make the team better kinda guy to me.

I'll take a football player as opposed to a one trick pony any day of the week.

I don't agree at all. Corner is a low impact position if you don't have good ones. If you have a great one though, they make a huge impact. I will not claim to know if any of the top corners in this years draft (Jenkins, Rodgers-Cromartie,McKelvin) are high impact guys, but just think of the some of the great DB's in the leauge over the years. Deon Sanders (much as most of us despise him), with his speed, bascially eliminated a third of the field for the offense, by his mere prescence.

I think we can get by with McGee, Greer/James, but if there is a player markedly better than they are, why not? I agree, it may not be our greatest need (I think WR is our greatest need), but it wouldn't be a wasted pick either.

I would hardly call Jordy Nelson a sleeper at this point. In addition to all talk on here about him, he's also listed as Mayock's #5 wideout and his scouts inc grade is above a 75 I believe. Not exactly a "sleeper". Terrence McGee was a sleeper, when the bills drafted him I recall on ESPN.com they didn't even have a scouting report for him, just a page with his height, weight and school.

1. Leodis McKelvin (CB) :P - Not a bad pick, not the direction I would have went (DE or WR). But still not a bad pick

2. Jordy Nelson (WR) :wallbash: - If Nelson had either gone to a bigger name school than Kansas or had a slightly different skin pigmentation, he'd be an easy 1st rounder

3. Kellen Davis (TE) :lol: :lol: If he's there in the 3rd, take him! Don't think he will be tho

4. Xavier Adibi, (LB) :) A 4th round steal. Don't need a starter here, but BPA, ST contributor, and LB Depth

4B. Curtis Johnson, (DE) :lol: This has got to be the only mock draft including the 4th round posted on TSW that didn't involve Owen Schmitt :unsure:

Nelson reminds me of a fast Ed McCaffrey. :lol:

If Thomas is the guy the Evans era will end after this year.

I strongly disagree with that. Evans said he would wait and see if the Bills tried to IMPROVE their offense before he decided to resign with the team. We can sign Thomas to a 5 or 6 year Rookie Contract, and get Evans to sign resign for the same length of time. We would have two very strong offensive weapons, and would likely, finally, be able to score some points. Buffalo wants to sign Evans, regardless of who they take in the draft. Frankly, I'd like to get Thomas at #11, then get another guy, say Nelson or Jerome Simpson, or Adrian Arrington later in the draft to really shore up the WR position. Offense needs three players to make us one of the top units in the league, another WR, a TE, and a C. We can take care of all of those in the first three rounds of the draft. Mark my words. Whatever Buffalo does with the WR position in this draft, Lee Evans will be back with a long contract extension.

I can listen to the pigment argument, but not the school argument. He played at Kansas State, a Big 12 school. It's not exactly Peabody Community College.

Does anybody really believe the color of his skin really matters? A team drafts guys that can play. When they look at film of the player I don't think color enters into it. :)

Plus Nelson is a football player period. He was used as a punt returner averaging 50yds + per return last year. He was used in all facets of the offense including receiving, running, and passing last year. He came into Kan St as a walk on and played safety as a Freshman/Sophomore. When the recieving core became depleted due to injury, he asked to be switched to WR.

Sounds like a whatever it takes to make the team better kinda guy to me.

I'll take a football player as opposed to a one trick pony any day of the week.

I agree with every damn thing you've said there!! :wallbash::lol:

Like I said he's another Poz in attitude and work ethic.

I don't agree at all. Corner is a low impact position if you don't have good ones. If you have a great one though, they make a huge impact. I will not claim to know if any of the top corners in this years draft (Jenkins, Rodgers-Cromartie,McKelvin) are high impact guys, but just think of the some of the great DB's in the leauge over the years. Deon Sanders (much as most of us despise him), with his speed, bascially eliminated a third of the field for the offense, by his mere prescence.

I think we can get by with McGee, Greer/James, but if there is a player markedly better than they are, why not? I agree, it may not be our greatest need (I think WR is our greatest need), but it wouldn't be a wasted pick either.

In my opinion the guys listed after McGee are nickel backs. Another starter would be great. Greer is thisclose to being a starter but having great depth would really make the defense stronger.

BTW, for those who don't want a CB, remember, linemen very rarely make interceptions.

Does anybody really believe the color of his skin really matters? A team drafts guys that can play. When they look at film of the player I don't think color enters into it. :)

I agree with every damn thing you've said there!! :wallbash::lol:

Like I said he's another Poz in attitude and work ethic.

In my opinion the guys listed after McGee are nickel backs. Another starter would be great. Greer is thisclose to being a starter but having great depth would really make the defense stronger.

BTW, for those who don't want a CB, remember, linemen very rarely make interceptions.

I really like what Greer did as a starter last year....dont forget we brought in james as well......

Keith Rivers or Derrick Harvey probably wouldn't be starters for a couple of years, while I think McKelvin could possibly supplant Greer by opening day.

If Rivers or Harvey did not start, they would see plenty of playing time in a rotation because they are athletic and can play on 3rd downs to pressure the QB.

It would not take long for Rivers to be starting ahead of Crowell

Buffalo:

1. Leodis McKelvin (CB) :devil:

2. Jordy Nelson (WR) :blush:

3. Kellen Davis (TE) :thumbsup:

4. Xavier Adibi, (LB) :thumbsup:

4B. Curtis Johnson, (DE) :wallbash:

Miami:

1. Jake Long (OT)

2. Lawrence Jackson, (DE)

2B. Orlando Scandrick, (CB)

3. Brad Cottam, (TE)

4. Bruce Davis, (LB)

New York

1. Vernon Gholston, (DE)

2. Limas Sweed, (WR) I would hate to see him end up with a AFCE team.

3. No third round pick Carolina owns it.

4. Chevis Jackson, (CB)

4B. Philip Wheeler, (LB)

New England

1. Keith Rivers, (LB)

1A. Taken away for cheating!!!! :wallbash: :wallbash:

2. Patrick Lee, (CB)

3. Oniel Cousins, (OL)

3B. Craig Stevens, (TE)

4. Keenan Burton, (WR)

Jets did the best in this draft, with Miami a close 2nd. We probably did better than the ****s.

Buffalo:

1. Leodis McKelvin (CB) :devil:

2. Jordy Nelson (WR) :blush:

3. Kellen Davis (TE) :thumbsup:

4. Xavier Adibi, (LB) :thumbsup:

4B. Curtis Johnson, (DE) :wallbash:

Miami:

1. Jake Long (OT)

2. Lawrence Jackson, (DE)

2B. Orlando Scandrick, (CB)

3. Brad Cottam, (TE)

4. Bruce Davis, (LB)

New York

1. Vernon Gholston, (DE)

2. Limas Sweed, (WR) I would hate to see him end up with a AFCE team.

3. No third round pick Carolina owns it.

4. Chevis Jackson, (CB)

4B. Philip Wheeler, (LB)

New England

1. Keith Rivers, (LB)

1A. Taken away for cheating!!!! :wallbash: :wallbash:

2. Patrick Lee, (CB)

3. Oniel Cousins, (OL)

3B. Craig Stevens, (TE)

4. Keenan Burton, (WR)

I would like that draft. That is something I could get on board with and consider a good yield.