Draft pool for Packers runs shallow at No. 17

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10792157/1

A Journal Sentinel survey of 18 personnel people asking them to rank the wide receivers on a 1-to-5 basis (five points for a first-place vote, etc.) revealed little or no consensus.

No fewer than five players received a first-place vote, led by Thomas with 10, Hardy and Kelly with three and Jackson and Texas' Limas Sweed with one.

"But you've got to pick somebody," said Tom Modrak, Buffalo's vice president of college scouting. "It is a flamboyant bunch. I don't know what causes it."

If it and the WRs are so shallow for Green Bay how much worse it for Bills at 11?

I saw an article talling about Packers and 14th pick but only found it in cache and could not find link ti original article and then saw the CBS one and assumed it was the same one but I guess it isn't. Still talks about WRs being a crap shoot.

The pack also could use a reciever with size, none of their guys are bigger than 6'1 I dont think. Jennings, Driver, James....none of them very big. Only Koren Robinson has any kind of size. We all know how great he is.

Thinking about it, Green Bay could only go in a few directions; CB, DT, WR, maybe DE I guess. Where they are picking the best value may be at WR, nothign would surprise me. Once you get past pick 20, things become chaotic.

The pack also could use a reciever with size, none of their guys are bigger than 6'1 I dont think. Jennings, Driver, James....none of them very big. Only Koren Robinson has any kind of size. We all know how great he is.

Thinking about it, Green Bay could only go in a few directions; CB, DT, WR, maybe DE I guess. Where they are picking the best value may be at WR, nothign would surprise me. Once you get past pick 20, things become chaotic.

The Pack do not need a WR.

They have Driver...need I say more?

Greg Jennings is a stud and was actually their best receiver last year.

James Jones- was a rookie this year, and has stud potential. Seen him play? He's for real.

Koren Robinson- as 4rth WR, not bad.

The thing that struck me about the article was its description of Devin Thomas:

Thomas: Poor student in high school in Ann Arbor, Mich., and had to attend junior college for two years . . . Played sparingly for Spartans coach John L. Smith in 2006 before being suspended for two games after being caught with a girlfriend in his hotel room the night before a game . . . "A year ago, they hated him at MSU," an AFC executive said. "He was lazy . . . They wanted to get rid of him." . . . Played great in `07 but still an AFC personnel director said, "JC background, one-year production and a junior. You go off of that, there's a high probability this guy could be a bust."

I'd much rather the Bills take a guy like Sweed (good character, good work ethic, 6'4", good hands, plenty of college experience) than Thomas.

The Pack do not need a WR.

They have Driver...need I say more?

Greg Jennings is a stud and was actually their best receiver last year.

James Jones- was a rookie this year, and has stud potential. Seen him play? He's for real.

Koren Robinson- as 4rth WR, not bad.

It will be interesting to see how the Packers WRs go without Favre throwing to them. :wallbash:

The thing that struck me about the article was its description of Devin Thomas:

I'd much rather the Bills take a guy like Sweed (good character, good work ethic, 6'4", good hands, plenty of college experience) than Thomas.

All things being equal Id take sweed as the top reciever, and to be honest I dont think the wrist injury is that big of deal. Now obviously I am not a doctor, but I can't ever remember a guy having chronic wrist problems at the reciever position. Unless an F-150 rolled over it or he stuck his hand in a boat propellor I wouldn't be too worried.

I like Sweed as a dark horse for our pick. Everyone likes D. Thomas, who I have no problem with , but Sweed's highlights show a world of ability, specifically the type of ability the bills are looking for in a number 2 WR.

This whole thread makes no sense.

I think it is making the point that there is no clear WR that separates themself from the rest of the pack. Some love Thomas, others love Sweed, Hardy or Kelly. It is really going to be interesting to see which team picks what WRs.