I Already Told the Wife - Don't Bother Me This Weekend!

CJPearl2

For some reason my wife's side of the family schedules their family reunion every year on draft weekend......

They always wonder why she and the kids go alone..:wallbash:

About five years ago, some of my relatives changed theirs to the first Saturday in August. Not only the weekend of the Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement, but also the same day as the Big 30 Game (local high school all-stars, NY vs. Pennsy).

Haven't seen anyone from that side of the family since then.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little advice for the young guys that are stupid I mean crazy enough to get married. Lay down the law early. Let your significant other know this sh*t is important to you & you are not going to miss it. Ive been married 7yrs now & the wife knows certain weekends to leave me alone. You know opening weekend of college football, all bills games, New Years Day(bowl games), the NCAA tournament, Cuse games, & draft weekend. We have a little guy now(just turned 4) & if you bring him up right & show him the ropes he will be into it also. He loves sports just as much as I do. My wife is dying for a daughter just to even it up a little bit. But the most important thing is to let her know where you stand right off the bat. If you wait or do not speak up for yourself in the beginning that is fine. Just be prepared to going to craft shows Sundays in the fall for the next 35 years of your life.

Just a quick story for you young guys. Back in 1999(this was before I was married) my wife(my girlfriend then) & I had a wedding to go to on a saturday night. It was one of her friends. She was standing up in it. The problem was the Mets were playing the braves in Game 4 of the NLCS at 8:00. They were down 3-0 at the time. Since the bride did not want any sports interferring with her precious day she ordered all the tvs off at the bar for the night. When I found this out I told my wife fair enough, but Im leaving at 7:45 so I do not miss any of the game. Being a mets fan since 1981 & going thru mostly miserable season after miserable season for the better part of 17yrs(except for 86 & 88), I was not going to miss this playoff game. I was sitting at dinner with people I did not even know & just got up & left at 7:45 without even saying good bye too my wife. She called me when she got home that night screaming at me & I simply told her that the Mets game was more important to me then her friends wedding. She would not talk to me for about 3 weeks & we actually ended up almost breaking up over it but I do not regret it one bit. Olerud hit a 2 run single off of Rocker in the bottom of the 8th & the mets won 5-4. They ended up losing the series in 6 games(dam Kenny Rodgers) but the line was clearly drawn in the sand that day that I will not be bullied into missing a sporting event that is important to me.

I just love the draft! I made the mistake of getting married 2 years ago during draft weekend. I was in a divided church of Bills and Patriot fans checking their cells for draft updates! At least my wife likes football. I will have to train the kids to suffer along with me!

I am in the same boat this year. Getting married on Saturday :wallbash: . I knew I should have looked at the calendar before saying "sure thats ok." There is a large flat screen at the reception and the wife said its ok it its on just no sound. I dont need to hear Kiper drone on anyway.

By the way yes I am an a--ho-- for not paying closer attention to the calendar.

Just a quick story for you young guys. Back in 1999(this was before I was married) my wife(my girlfriend then) & I had a wedding to go to on a saturday night. It was one of her friends. She was standing up in it. The problem was the Mets were playing the braves in Game 4 of the NLCS at 8:00. They were down 3-0 at the time. Since the bride did not want any sports interferring with her precious day she ordered all the tvs off at the bar for the night. When I found this out I told my wife fair enough, but Im leaving at 7:45 so I do not miss any of the game. Being a mets fan since 1981 & going thru mostly miserable season after miserable season for the better part of 17yrs(except for 86 & 88), I was not going to miss this playoff game. I was sitting at dinner with people I did not even know & just got up & left at 7:45 without even saying good bye too my wife. She called me when she got home that night screaming at me & I simply told her that the Mets game was more important to me then her friends wedding. She would not talk to me for about 3 weeks & we actually ended up almost breaking up over it but I do not regret it one bit. Olerud hit a 2 run single off of Rocker in the bottom of the 8th & the mets won 5-4. They ended up losing the series in 6 games(dam Kenny Rodgers) but the line was clearly drawn in the sand that day that I will not be bullied into missing a sporting event that is important to me.

Wow. I dont really know what to say. On one hand you are a pretty selfish tool, on the other hand you are my idol. Dont know which way to go here.

Wow. I dont really know what to say. On one hand you are a pretty selfish tool, on the other hand you are my idol. Dont know which way to go here.

Believe me, go with your second thought. You will be much more happy in the end & if she really loves you, she will put up with it. I got to admit, your not off to a good start with scheduling the wedding on draft day. But, hey think of it this way. At least she is letting you keep the tvs on so that is a good sign. Believe me, most brides would not have it & if your bride is the girl in the Avatar, I would give up watching sports forever. Who needs sports if you have a wife that looks like that.

Believe me, go with your second thought. You will be much more happy in the end & if she really loves you, she will put up with it. I got to admit, your not off to a good start with scheduling the wedding on draft day. But, hey think of it this way. At least she is letting you keep the tvs on so that is a good sign. Believe me, most brides would not have it & if your bride is the girl in the Avatar, I would give up watching sports forever. Who needs sports if you have a wife that looks like that.

Ive asked Denise Milani to marry me numerous times(she is pictured) then she responds with a restraining order. The nerve of some people I go out of my way to cut letters out of hundreds of magazines and this is the thanks I get.

Anyway the wife is very cool and she knows how important this weekend is. we had our 6 year anniversary yesterday so she is no stranger to my football and NcAA tourny man love.

Sending the wife to Florida for the weekend and having some friends over. The menu includes wings in the fryer, venison tenderloin (saved it for a special occasion, the other tenderloin is for opening day), and High Life on tap. Just hooked up the Directv in the garage so I can smoke cigars and keep watching NFL channel. 50' HD inside with Kipers annoying comments in Surround, and 36' in the garage. Should be a good day!

Gordio's 100% right. The first football season that I was with my girlfriend I let her come to the bar and watch the Bills with me the first couple of weeks of the season. She was constantly asking questions about whats going on and trying to chat about other stuff. So I told her that during football season, we were done hanging out for the weekend at 1230 pm sharp. She was insulted and cried and yelled, but I stood my ground and told her that thats the way it is and there's no room for compromise. She got over it, now she even drops me off at the bar on sundays at 1245 and knows shes not gonna hear from me til monday and we couldn't be happier. The moral of the story is that one night of arguing is worth saving years of annoyance and if you've got a good girl, she'll understand.

My wife knows that Sundays during football season are off limits unless somebody dies...And it better be a CLOSE family member or I'm just sending a card. I haven't missed a Bills home game in 6 years and would like to keep that streak alive for many more seasons (the Toronto game does not count!). Usually she goes to the home opener and brings some friends. They don't sit with us because our section is full and they keep themselves occupied. I have to bring a crappy spare grill because one of the girls is a vegetarian and I will not let a veggie burger touch the nice tailgate grill.

My wife knows that Sundays during football season are off limits unless somebody dies...And it better be a CLOSE family member or I'm just sending a card. I haven't missed a Bills home game in 6 years and would like to keep that streak alive for many more seasons (the Toronto game does not count!). Usually she goes to the home opener and brings some friends. They don't sit with us because our section is full and they keep themselves occupied. I have to bring a crappy spare grill because one of the girls is a vegetarian and I will not let a veggie burger touch the nice tailgate grill.

You're cool. For a tool

I am in the same boat this year. Getting married on Saturday :wallbash: . I knew I should have looked at the calendar before saying "sure thats ok." There is a large flat screen at the reception and the wife said its ok it its on just no sound. I dont need to hear Kiper drone on anyway.

By the way yes I am an a--ho-- for not paying closer attention to the calendar.

I can sympathize with you. I had to work around the availability of the church and reception hall. I at least was able to put the wedding late enough in the day to watch the Bill's pick. I guess that's why they have TIVO and VCRs. Good luck!

I believe that your women should be cherished and loved at all times even during the draft! I think that her man should drop anything to service her at all times even during the draft!

I also believe JP should get another chance!

How is that for a first post.

:wallbash:

Wait for it

Wait for it

:lol:

I'm as big a Bills (and NFL) fan as there is, and I'm sorry, I just don't get the fascination with sitting by the TV all day waiting for picks and listening to the morons on ESPN or NFLN drone on. If I've got absolutely nothing better to do and am around the house I'll have it on, but if the weather is halfway decent I'd rather play golf and then log on Saturday night to read about the Bills' picks.

That's just me.

P.S. If there's a regular season (Bills) or playoff (Bills/Sabres/Mets) or tournament (Tar Heels) game on, however, all bets are off.

Lets see here...

Wings with Blazin' Sauce and my seasalt and garlic blend: Check

Queso Dip/Tostito's Scoops: Check

24 pack Molson: Check (Hey... just in case we have another Donte pick :wallbash:)

Flat Screen TV: Check

Posluszny throwback: Check

Autographed Shane Conlan picture: Check (good luck)

Throwback Bills Hat signed by Evans/Tasker: Check

Bills Lounge Pants: Check

Draft Tracker page: Check (The only thing Street & Smith does right for the draft)

Annoying Steeler/Broncos/Eagles fan friends: Check, but they know not to talk when the Bills pick.

I am going to stay far, far away from this board on draft day, since the server will crash once we pick someone and 18 posts go up at the same time saying "OMFG TEH BILLZ SELECTED ________" and "Yes I was right you jerkoffs we got _______" and "What kind of motor does __________ have? 40 time?" with a mixture of "WHO THE HELL IS __________!? DOOOOM, MARV IS SENILE, RALPH SHOULD SELL"

My wish on draft day is not for who i want the Bills to pick, but for only ONE person to post who was picked and for it not to be a damn race to see who posts it first.

Sending the wife to Florida for the weekend and having some friends over. The menu includes wings in the fryer, venison tenderloin (saved it for a special occasion, the other tenderloin is for opening day), and High Life on tap. Just hooked up the Directv in the garage so I can smoke cigars and keep watching NFL channel. 50' HD inside with Kipers annoying comments in Surround, and 36' in the garage. Should be a good day!

The draft on a fifty foot plasma!?!?!? I was looking forward to my party, but I'd like to cancel mine and come to yours.

I'm as big a Bills (and NFL) fan as there is, and I'm sorry, I just don't get the fascination with sitting by the TV all day waiting for picks and listening to the morons on ESPN or NFLN drone on. If I've got absolutely nothing better to do and am around the house I'll have it on, but if the weather is halfway decent I'd rather play golf and then log on Saturday night to read about the Bills' picks.

That's just me.

P.S. If there's a regular season (Bills) or playoff (Bills/Sabres/Mets) or tournament (Tar Heels) game on, however, all bets are off.

You're not the only one. I enjoy my Saturday, then check the picks around 10pm. Come 10:05, I know just as much as the guys who spent the whole day watching the draft.

But, to each is own.....