some news regarding Sweed, Kelly and DRC

BILLS NOT CONCERNED ABOUT WR KELLY OUTBURST: Much has been made of Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly's criticism of his own school after he ran some disappointing times at his pro day earlier this month, even here in this space. He criticized Oklahoma for switching the venue of his pro day from an astroturf surface to field turf. It wasn't a good way to handle adversity, though one could understand with his NFL future on the line why he was upset after the workout. Bills scouts Joe Haering and Shawn Heinlen tried to set the record straight on Kelly.

“No one thought he was an elite speed athlete, but the combination of his size to go with the speed he has is good enough for him to be a very productive receiver," said Heinlen who was in attendance at Kelly's pro day. "There is a laundry list of guys that have played receiver in the NFL that have not been 4.4 guys and been very productive. Granted, he was probably just very frustrated at the workout. He was a young guy that came out early and he’s not been put in that kind of situation before."

“He probably thought he was that fast and the time didn’t come out and he got a little upset and vented," said Heinlen. "His interview was literally right after he finished working out. He didn’t have time to talk to anyone. He just got a little upset I think. I don’t think it’s an issue talking to the coaches. They all love the kid and speak very highly of him from a work ethic standpoint and his character. There’s no issue there. He was just upset he didn’t run as well as he hoped to run.”

Scout Joe Haering who evaluated Kelly on tape believes Kelly he's fast enough along with his size to be a "good player in our league." Haering also cleared up the misperception that timed speed is end all be all factor.

"The most important thing is how the guy plays which is called playing speed because the guy has pads on," said Haering. "Then there are the guys that run fast when they’re on the track with shorts. Sometimes the guy runs real fast in shorts and not with his pads on. I thought he ran fast enough. When you’re playing the game especially at receiver and he comes across the middle and gets punched in the mouth and his nose is bleeding maybe some guy running 4.4 is running a 4.8 the next time. My point is when I saw him he is fast enough to play. He has good playing speed."

So although the draft gurus interpreted Kelly's disappointing pro day as a significant blow to his draft stock, in all likelihood most NFL teams haven't dropped his grade all that much. I had less of an issue with his timed speed than I did how he handled adversity. Knowing that interview came right as his workout concluded eases my concern about it a bit. Where does that put him in the draft? I'm guessing but probably the lower third of round one.

RODGERS-CROMARTIE ONE KIDNEY ISSUE: Naturally the medical history of every NFL prospect is viewed and reviewed by all 32 teams leading up to the draft to determine if past injuries or medical conditions will be issues in the future. Tennessee State CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie has a pretty significant one in that he has just one kidney. Bills scout Joe Haering was asked about that fact and whether it is something that is an issue for NFL teams.

“We haven’t decided if it’s an issue (yet)," said Haering with respect to the Bills. "I think you have to consider it. But there have been players that have played in the league with one kidney.”

In all likelihood the Bills have already determined whether it is an issue for them or not as a team, but they're not going to reveal whether it is or it isn't days before the draft. I would imagine at cornerback he's not as susceptible to taking a dangerous hit to his lower back than say a wide receiver (Josh Reed comes to mind, with the bruised kidney he suffered a couple of years ago). I think it will be something that each NFL teams weighs because if you've only got one and there's a problem, it's a big problem.

SWEED'S WRIST: Texas WR Limas Sweed is another player with an injury concern coming off a bad wrist injury. Bills scout Shawn Heinlen who put together reports on Sweed said ultimately whether an injury is an issue that affects a player's draft grade comes down to the team's medical staff.

“It’s unfortunate he had the injury his senior season," said Heinlen of Sweed. "I’m sure he wishes he came out as a junior because he had great production as a junior. From our standpoint with the injury we just note them and it’s up to Bud Carpenter and the doctors to determine if it’s going to be a determining factor and hinder his future going forward. But from the standpoint of athletic ability and being able to play, he’s shown the ability to be a number one receiver at a big time university."

Sweed did have a good combine after a rough Senior Bowl coming right off the injury and did even better at his pro day. He's still probably coming off the board in the bottom half of the first round.

Just more proof that the Malcolm Kelly free-fall over the past month, by the mock "experts" and then consequently on TBD, is just ridiculous. If the guy is there within 8 picks of our 2nd rounder, I would do anything in our power to trade up and get him.

I love all the pre-draft deception and mis-information. You can't believe anything ANY team (scout, GM, coach, etc) says during April.

I was in a restaurant the other day and Tom Modrak was there. He told the waitress he wanted a hamburger and a Coke she winked knowingly at him and brought him a steak a salad and a Sprite. Crafty, very crafty. :lol:

I would love to trade down. But reading that info, do you think they take him at either 17 or 19? or maybe they never had him as a 1st round talent

Smokescreen

Jordy Nelson wonderlic score 24.

3 x all state QB with a 62% completion percentage.

Nelson knows the passing game He and Edwards will be like two computers out there. He is our man in round 2

Trade down in Round one or take McKelvin or Harvey one of them is there.

I know I shouldn't read into this too much, BUT... it surprises the hell out of me that these guys don't seem to know anything about DRC and Sweed's medical conditions. One week away from the draft and you haven't been briefed about these guys injuries yet?! :lol:

Either they're BSing us or these guys aren't being seriously considered.

I know I shouldn't read into this too much, BUT... it surprises the hell out of me that these guys don't seem to know anything about DRC and Sweed's medical conditions. One week away from the draft and you haven't been briefed about these guys injuries yet?! :lol:

Either they're BSing us or these guys aren't being seriously considered.

The scouts know about it, but they have no say in whether or not it changes the player's draft "grade." As both Haering and Heinlein said, those decisions are left up to the medical staff.

Smokescreen

Jordy Nelson wonderlic score 24.

3 x all state QB with a 62% completion percentage.

Nelson knows the passing game He and Edwards will be like two computers out there. He is our man in round 2

Trade down in Round one or take McKelvin or Harvey one of them is there.

:lol: sounds good to me

The scouts know about it, but they have no say in whether or not it changes the player's draft "grade." As both Haering and Heinlein said, those decisions are left up to the medical staff.

Sure, but at this point, I would hope that those decisions (by the medical staff) have been made. But, I suppose that a scout may not be privy to that info once their reports are submitted.

Sure, but at this point, I would hope that those decisions (by the medical staff) have been made. But, I suppose that a scout may not be privy to that info once their reports are submitted.

I deal with the press all the time and those scouts aren't there to provide us insight and/or make us think they're smart -- their only concern is the help the team. It's a good bet NO ONE talks to the press without pre-authorized scrubbing of their comments. They tell the press what they want everyone to know - no more, no less.

We have no right to the "real" information.

I deal with the press all the time and those scouts aren't there to provide us insight and/or make us think they're smart -- their only concern is the help the team. It's a good bet NO ONE talks to the press without pre-authorized scrubbing of their comments. They tell the press what they want everyone to know - no more, no less.

We have no right to the "real" information.

Agreed. And so does A.J. Smith:

“You know I'm not a liar,” Chargers GM A.J. Smith says. “But, forgive me, it's April. If there's a GM who tells the truth during the month of April, he's making a mistake. April . . . I've always called it Liar's Month. All GMs should be forgiven in April.

“Please, do not judge any GM in April. Lying simply is part of our business in April.”