Home improvements

eSJayDee

I'm considering re-siding my home (fiber board lap siding) & likely would be doing the work myself.

As I understand things, if you have work done on your primary residence, it is Sales Tax exempt if done by a professional, but AFAIK, if you buy the materials & DYI, you're stuck w/ paying it.

Since this would be a considerable expenditure (~$5000 for materials alone), if there is a practical way of avoiding it, it would be quite beneficial.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

I'm considering re-siding my home (fiber board lap siding) & likely would be doing the work myself.

As I understand things, if you have work done on your primary residence, it is Sales Tax exempt if done by a professional, but AFAIK, if you buy the materials & DYI, you're stuck w/ paying it.

Since this would be a considerable expenditure (~$5000 for materials alone), if there is a practical way of avoiding it, it would be quite beneficial.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

It's not tax exempt, as it is a capital improvement, the contractor is required to pay sales tax when purchasing the materials. So you're really paying the sales tax plus their markup. Either way, you have to pay the tax.