A Proposed List of "Surprising" Picks at 11

The board seems to really only widely consider maybe a few players as the legitimate options at 11:

Devin Thomas

Derrick Harvey

DR-C

Branden Albert

but as we know, we're often blindsided by who we pick and it causes a reaction of shocked outrage. So in the hopes of tempering that a bit, here is a list of guys that are legitimate possibilities at 11 (regardless of where the latest mock draft have them):

Leodis McKelvin (probably won't be there when we pick)

Mike Jenkins

Antoine Cason

Aqib Talib

Limas Sweed

DeSean Jackson

Phillip Merling

Kentwan Balmer

Quentin Groves

Keith Rivers

Jerod Mayo

Kenny Phillips? that would be a shock

Calais Campbell? also a major surprise

any of the Tackles - Clady, Otah, Williams - also would be a shock, but they are good value at 11

any others?

Dan Connor - a lot of people would be shocked but I would not

A good buddy of mine who follows PSU football religiously told me he wouldn't be surprised if Connor winds up being a better pro than Poz -- and he loves Poz' game.

A good buddy of mine who follows PSU football religiously told me he wouldn't be surprised if Connor winds up being a better pro than Poz -- and he loves Poz' game.

War Room scouts have Connor rated as a 3rd or 4th rounder calling him one of the more overrated players in the draft. Another guy whose career merits watching ...

The board seems to really only widely consider maybe a few players as the legitimate options at 11:

Devin Thomas

Derrick Harvey

DR-C

Branden Albert

but as we know, we're often blindsided by who we pick and it causes a reaction of shocked outrage. So in the hopes of tempering that a bit, here is a list of guys that are legitimate possibilities at 11 (regardless of where the latest mock draft have them):

Leodis McKelvin (probably won't be there when we pick)

Mike Jenkins

Antoine Cason

Aqib Talib

Limas Sweed

DeSean Jackson

Phillip Merling

Kentwan Balmer

Quentin Groves

Keith Rivers

Jerod Mayo

Kenny Phillips? that would be a shock

Calais Campbell? also a major surprise

any of the Tackles - Clady, Otah, Williams - also would be a shock, but they are good value at 11

any others?

James Hardy is another WR I would add to the list. Buffalo hasn't even mentioned his name, which leads me to believe they are considering him based on Buffalo's past history. Most of those "surprise" picks wouldn't be a big surprise. Keith Rivers and Kentwan Balmer have been cited in mock drafts as potential picks, though I think those two, and Jerod Mayo are the most unlikely of the players you have listed. The others are actually equivalent alternatives to the suggestions being batted around. McKelvin is as good or better than DR-C in terms of overall play at the position, and the five top WRs are all rated close together. OT and D-Line would be the biggest "surprises" for me, but not really all that surprising.

James Hardy is another WR I would add to the list. Buffalo hasn't even mentioned his name, which leads me to believe they are considering him based on Buffalo's past history. Most of those "surprise" picks wouldn't be a big surprise. Keith Rivers and Kentwan Balmer have been cited in mock drafts as potential picks, though I think those two, and Jerod Mayo are the most unlikely of the players you have listed. The others are actually equivalent alternatives to the suggestions being batted around. McKelvin is as good or better than DR-C in terms of overall play at the position, and the five top WRs are all rated close together. OT and D-Line would be the biggest "surprises" for me, but not really all that surprising.

The Bills interviewed Jerod Mayo I believe

The others are actually equivalent alternatives to the suggestions being batted around.

OT and D-Line would be the biggest "surprises" for me, but not really all that surprising.

the list was more about legitimate options that the board typically hasn't been focused on for reasons that are usually less than really supportable in any objective way

Totally agree on Hardy. I also prefer McKelvin and Cason to DR-C and Flowers.

And I'd be disappointed if we take a OT.

War Room scouts have Connor rated as a 3rd or 4th rounder calling him one of the more overrated players in the draft. Another guy whose career merits watching ...

During one of those Path to the Draft shows, NFL Network showed how Connor was hesitant to make the move and was caught waffling and ended up making the play downfield. In the NFL where speed rules, that would be really pretty bad...

me too. ESPN has been saying he has been shooting up draft boards. What would you think of the pick Mike? Is Crowell the odd man out if we pick Mayo?

Crowell is a good cover 2 OLB, but not the ideal cover 2 OLB. Looking at the market this year you know he will demand a heck of a lot of money next year. I think a pretty good chance exists that he will not be in Buffalo after this season.

If the Bills feel the same the need at the position becomes MUCH larger then anybody has given it credit for. Mayo is a stud, and perfect fit for what we do on defense. He combines great speed, size, football smarts etc. If most the top talent is off the board (as projected), and we stay put, I see few who we can feel as confident in as Mayo. So what you have is a great player, fitting our scheme perfectly, in a potential need area.....

We've shown in this regime that we will pick who we want no matter what the gurus say. As it stands Mayo is getting closer and closer to not even being considered a reach. We have a defensive based head coach. He's one of a handful of players we know the Bills have brought in for an interview. The more you break it down, the less he belongs in the "surprising" thread.