I would pick a lineman

Billsguy

My priorities in order of preference for the Bills in round 1:

1)Branden Albert of Virginia for the offensive line!!!!!

2)Derrick Harvey for the DL. (Kelsay and Denney aren't getting it done)

3)Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas WR

4)Rodgers-Cromartie at CB

The team must strengthen the trenches. The conventional wisdom is wrong that the OL is in good shape. I still believe that the OL needs a major talent upgrade.

We will find out soon.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My priorities in order of preference for the Bills in round 1:

1)Branden Albert of Virginia for the offensive line!!!!!

2)Derrick Harvey for the DL. (Kelsay and Denney aren't getting it done)

3)Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas WR

4)Rodgers-Cromartie at CB

The team must strengthen the trenches. The conventional wisdom is wrong that the OL is in good shape. I still believe that the OL needs a major talent upgrade.

We will find out soon.

Options 3 & 4 should be eliminated from consideration.

Bills need to fortify the OL, DL or LBs with playmakers at #11.

Options 3 & 4 should be eliminated from consideration.

Bills need to fortify the OL, DL or LBs with playmakers at #11.

Hopefully the bills recognize the versatility of Albert. By drafting him they will provide immediate depth at the G and T spots, if not an immediate upgrade. The bonus is that they will probably be able to convert him to C and solve that problem permanently.

It is always good to get upgrades on the line. That needs to be stressed, however, this year, those are not NEEDS. They are WANT picks. Buffalo has NEEDS that they have to address if they are to be successful now and in the future. They NEED another WR to give Edwards another target and to take pressure off of Evans. That would improve the offense far more than adding a rookie RG. Buffalo NEEDS more depth in the secondary. If James or Greer get hurt again, we're back to the same place we were at the end of last year. Those are needs. Some might say that a TE is a NEED as well. I don't know, but getting an Antonio Gates type TE wouldn't hurt with this offense.

The O-Line was actually statistically rather good last year. Considering where it had been for the two or three years prior, they were downright elite. That being said, they have solid veterans on the left side, and Walker was solid at RT. The RG position is still a ?, but I think Butler is going to improve this year. With Whittle and Preston backing things up, the line is fine for now. An upgrade at center would be good, and Mike Pollack would be a great player to do that, and he will be available in the 3rd round. He could be an immediate starter at the position for us and if the Bills draft him, I see Fowler relegated to back up.

The D-Line is also solid, especially the DT rotation. Yes, I know the argument that you can never have enough talent at DT and we only have four players who are really capable of starting or playing consistently. However, four solid to elite players is enough to say we don't NEED another one in the draft. Again, the same situation is true at LB. We have five solid guys who can come in and play. We could USE another one, but we don't NEED one. Plus, that is a position we can shore up easily after the camp cuts. Lastly, DE is arguably he position where we could use another play maker, but there are two responses. First, the improvement on the D-Line is going to make them better. Taking the double teams away from Schobel and Kelsay will give them many more chances to make plays and disrupt the backfield. Second, Buffalo should resign Al Wallace as a backup. He's not a starter but was a very good rotational player who could be valuable to the team.

DE and CB are the only positions the Bills should consider drafting in the first three rounds on D. We have NEEDS on offense, and perhaps at CB, but we don't NEED to add a first round talent DE to make an immediate impact on this team. I won't be disappointed at all if the Bills take Derrick Harvey at that spot. The guy is a beast and an elite talent. I still think the best thing to do is to trade back into the first round, grab that top WR, add another second round pick and grab a CB and TE in the second, then address the line needs in the third and early fourth. Say:

Trade with Philly for #19 and a 2nd.

1. Devin Thomas or James Hardy

2. Brandon Flowers

2. Dustin Kellar or Fred Davis

3. Mike Pollack

4. Best DE available

4. Owen Schmitt

That's the best move for the Bills to add solid talent at all positions of NEED and WANT in this draft.

It is always good to get upgrades on the line. That needs to be stressed, however, this year, those are not NEEDS. They are WANT picks. Buffalo has NEEDS that they have to address if they are to be successful now and in the future. They NEED another WR to give Edwards another target and to take pressure off of Evans. That would improve the offense far more than adding a rookie RG. Buffalo NEEDS more depth in the secondary. If James or Greer get hurt again, we're back to the same place we were at the end of last year. Those are needs. Some might say that a TE is a NEED as well. I don't know, but getting an Antonio Gates type TE wouldn't hurt with this offense.

The O-Line was actually statistically rather good last year. Considering where it had been for the two or three years prior, they were downright elite. That being said, they have solid veterans on the left side, and Walker was solid at RT. The RG position is still a ?, but I think Butler is going to improve this year. With Whittle and Preston backing things up, the line is fine for now. An upgrade at center would be good, and Mike Pollack would be a great player to do that, and he will be available in the 3rd round. He could be an immediate starter at the position for us and if the Bills draft him, I see Fowler relegated to back up.

The D-Line is also solid, especially the DT rotation. Yes, I know the argument that you can never have enough talent at DT and we only have four players who are really capable of starting or playing consistently. However, four solid to elite players is enough to say we don't NEED another one in the draft. Again, the same situation is true at LB. We have five solid guys who can come in and play. We could USE another one, but we don't NEED one. Plus, that is a position we can shore up easily after the camp cuts. Lastly, DE is arguably he position where we could use another play maker, but there are two responses. First, the improvement on the D-Line is going to make them better. Taking the double teams away from Schobel and Kelsay will give them many more chances to make plays and disrupt the backfield. Second, Buffalo should resign Al Wallace as a backup. He's not a starter but was a very good rotational player who could be valuable to the team.

DE and CB are the only positions the Bills should consider drafting in the first three rounds on D. We have NEEDS on offense, and perhaps at CB, but we don't NEED to add a first round talent DE to make an immediate impact on this team. I won't be disappointed at all if the Bills take Derrick Harvey at that spot. The guy is a beast and an elite talent. I still think the best thing to do is to trade back into the first round, grab that top WR, add another second round pick and grab a CB and TE in the second, then address the line needs in the third and early fourth. Say:

2. Brandon Flowers

3. Mike Pollack

4. Best DE available

4. Owen Schmitt

That's the best move for the Bills to add solid talent at all positions of NEED and WANT in this draft.

you blew your chance at #11 to get a playmaker and instead added a bunch of marginal players.

Not exactly how you become a contender.

Earl Bennett or Jordy Nelson can be had in 2nd/3rd round to fill your WR hole- althoug it is questionable if any rookie WR is going to add much in 2008. Bills should have signed Bryant Johnson if they needed an immediate improvement in 2008.

2. Brandon Flowers

3. Mike Pollack

4. Best DE available

4. Owen Schmitt

That's the perfect draft IMO. I'd take Davis over Keller and I would be absolutely ecstatic.

2. Brandon Flowers

3. Mike Pollack

4. Best DE available

4. Owen Schmitt

Excellent post, mock draft aside ;)

you blew your chance at #11 to get a playmaker and instead added a bunch of marginal players.

Earl Bennett or Jordy Nelson can be had in 2nd/3rd round to fill your WR hole- althoug it is questionable if any rookie WR is going to add much in 2008. Bills should have signed Bryant Johnson if they needed an immediate improvement in 2008.

I don't want to get into the B. Johnson thing, but I totally agree. So what if he played for one year and left. he would have played hard to prove himself, and if he left THEN we go after a stud WR in next year's draft while going to beef up the lines or secondary.

2. Brandon Flowers

3. Mike Pollack

4. Best DE available

4. Owen Schmitt

I'f I were drafting I'd pick Hardy and Keller and it would be the greatest draft scenario that I could possibly imagine... If there wasn't a DE with a 4th rd or better value, I'd maybe draft another WR or a QB if there was somebody with a lot of value there. This draft would solidify our offense for a very long time. Flowers is one of my favorite CB in this draft. Maybe he is gone, if so a guy like Lawrence Jackson or Calias Campbell might slip?

2. Brandon Flowers

3. Mike Pollack

4. Best DE available

4. Owen Schmitt

That draft would improve the team immensely.

I'm going to try say this without sounding like a dick, but who are you to decide/already know who the marginal players are? What makes Earl Bennett a solid choice to "fill the WR hole," but Devin Thomas is "marginal." Also, who knows if we get a solid contribution from a rookie WR this year...guys like Boldin, Bowe, and even Lee Evans do exist.

Not exactly how you become a contender......

I never realized that playmakers were only gettable from the #11 spot & that at the #19 selection there are only marginal players......thanks for the wise insight.

I never realized that playmakers were only gettable from the #11 spot & that at the #19 selection there are only marginal players......thanks for the wise insight.

its not the draft slot, it's the questionable talent being selected that will doom the Bills to mediocrity - but I'm sure you knew that.

Passing up impact defenders or OL for a "tall" WR that belongs in the 2nd round is not how to build a talent base.

do people realize that we allowed the fewest sacks in franchise history last year? The offensive line is not really the problem - it's lack of targets to keep defenses honest (and it didn't help that our play calling was so painfully predictable)

its not the draft slot, it's the questionable talent being selected that will doom the Bills to mediocrity - but I'm sure you knew that.

Passing up impact defenders or OL for a "tall" WR that belongs in the 2nd round is not how to build a talent base.

Agree. The Bills need difference makers at several positions. Get players who look like they can make a difference with the earliest picks. Bills are only one injury and one free agent defection on both lines from having another problem. Center and DE (Kelsay/Denny) still question marks on this team.

All talent is questionable when selecting in the draft.....to say that 'the players I like' are going to be impact players while the players rated slightly lower will not is unrealistic.

All talent is questionable when selecting in the draft.....to say that 'the players I like' are going to be impact players while the players rated slightly lower will not is unrealistic.

There is a huge difference in both talent and position.

I prefer drafting a premier DL or OL prospect who slides out of the top 10 that would fortify the foundation of the team.

You would rather reach for a 1 year wonder who is on ly being considered in the 1st round because he is tall and the best of a very weak class of WRs. Not to mention, he plays a position that busts more than any other and tyupcially takes 3 years to be productive for the survivors.

The Bills have been following your plan for years and the playoff record is telling.

yawn.

fewest sacks allowed in team history, fewest passing touchdowns in the nfl.

i think the problem isn't our line, it's our lack of playmakers.

our sack total went down a ton, and all we lost was a corner and 2 LBs. we've added 2 LB's from the end of the last season (poz being hurt) and adding a corner along

w all the linemen we signed will will put our D over the top.

my ideal draft for the record starts with us trading to 19 for a 3rd and lito shep (and signing him) and nabbing the best wr at 19, te in 2nd, and og in 3rd.