Is Devin Thomas too small?

The_Real

Quick- how many great NFL receivers over 6'3" can you name? In history? And by what logic to you propose that 6' 3" is a better WR? What do you think Jerry Rice and Steve Smith have to say about this?

How about Harold Carmichael, four time pro-bowler. His catch numbers were huge by todays standards, but the era he played wasn't so wide open and the Eagles had some bad teams until 1978-79 after Jaworski and Vermeil had been there a few years.

Carmichael was 6'8"

How about Harold Carmichael, four time pro-bowler. His catch numbers were huge by todays standards, but the era he played wasn't so wide open and the Eagles had some bad teams until 1978-79 after Jaworski and Vermeil had been there a few years.

Carmichael was 6'8"

Yes, I remember Carmichael. So based on one 6'8 dude from the 80's Devin Thomas is too short at 6'2?

Pete...I NEVER said that Thomas was "TOO SHORT", I actually said that he IS NOT "TOO SMALL", just not big enough for who I would want as our #2 WR. I would rather have somebody who towers over everyone else and can easily get those jump balls. ("List A") Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Plaxico Burress, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams, Braylon Edwards, Marques Colston, Brandon Marshall, Amani Toomer...just to name a few of the best wide receivers in the league, all over 6-3. Of course there is ("List B") Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Wes Welker, Anquan Boldin, Santana Moss, etc etc etc...who are all shorter receivers, but we already have our own "shorter" stud in Lee Evans. It is just my personal opinion that the majority of the dominant receivers in the NFL are very tall, which by my standards would be taller than 6-3. I would just rather have receivers from list A, than those from list B.

I did not mean to offend you...I just think that Kelly, Hardy and/or Sweed, will be better receivers than Thomas, which would make them a better draft pick.

I dont like the fact that Devin Thomas only had 1 solid collegiate season, and not many people had heard of him before this season...unlike Limas Sweed.

Pete...I NEVER said that Thomas was "TOO SHORT", I actually said that he IS NOT "TOO SMALL", just not big enough for who I would want as our #2 WR. I would rather have somebody who towers over everyone else and can easily get those jump balls. ("List A") Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Plaxico Burress, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams, Braylon Edwards, Marques Colston, Brandon Marshall, Amani Toomer...just to name a few of the best wide receivers in the league, all over 6-3. Of course there is ("List B") Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Wes Welker, Anquan Boldin, Santana Moss, etc etc etc...who are all shorter receivers, but we already have our own "shorter" stud in Lee Evans. It is just my personal opinion that the majority of the dominant receivers in the NFL are very tall, which by my standards would be taller than 6-3. I would just rather have receivers from list A, than those from list B.

I did not mean to offend you...I just think that Kelly, Hardy and/or Sweed, will be better receivers than Thomas, which would make them a better draft pick.

I dont like the fact that Devin Thomas only had 1 solid collegiate season, and not many people had heard of him before this season...unlike Limas Sweed.

none of those Wrs are worth risking a 1st round pick on

Earl Bennett and Jordy Nelson will provide similar production in later rounds.

I think you post a very valid point, I myself have thought about his size, especially with all of us being so desperate for size at the WR position, and seeing the likes of 6'4 and 6'7 type guys available, seeing Devin Thomas at 6'2 makes you give him a 2nd thought...

But the sad thing is this...He'd still be the tallest receiver on our roster...and there's no denying he's an electrifying talent with tremendous potential.

That said, I don't know if I'd take him over Sweed or Hardy.

No he is not too small. And if you look at his awesome change of direction, his 10 yard and 20 yard times you will see why. No one matches his numbers. That should translate into separation. He is also a huge run after the catch guy far better than anyone else Althought Nelson is very good run after the catch guy too.

The Question with Thomas is how long will it take to make him a productive NFL player?

No he is not too small. And if you look at his awesome change of direction, his 10 yard and 20 yard times you will see why. No one matches his numbers. That should translate into separation. He is also a huge run after the catch guy far better than anyone else Althought Nelson is very good run after the catch guy too.

The Question with Thomas is how long will it take to make him a productive NFL player?

Twenty yards.