If Bills going for value over needs...

...then we should move up to get Gholsten. He will make the biggest impact for us right away even if it means giving away this year's second, and next year's second. We have two threes and we can move up and get our tightend and draft a sleeper receiver later. To heck with the cornerback...we have plenty late picks to get some depth. We'll need a center in the fourth where the value seems to be for this position. Pass rush to me is like pitching in baseball, it's 90 % of the defense.

...then we should move up to get Gholsten. He will make the biggest impact for us right away even if it means giving away this year's second, and next year's second. We have two threes and we can move up and get our tightend and draft a sleeper receiver later. To heck with the cornerback...we have plenty late picks to get some depth. We'll need a center in the fourth where the value seems to be for this position. Pass rush to me is like pitching in baseball, it's 90 % of the defense.

The problem is that we have enough needs where we really can't afford to be giving 2nd round picks away.

Value over needs.........sounds like we're still gonna trade down. :thumbsup:

The WR need is much larger than can be filled by a sleeper. We not only cut our #2 but also:

1. The number 1 WR Evans shows great potential and may one day be a consistent Pro Bowl performer, but he is coming off a troubled year, showed good teammate loyalty but mouthed off in a negative way about JPs situation, and will hit the FA marketplace unless resigned. Maybe he recovers and has an outstanding year, but maybe also he is gone after this season.

2. The number 3 was impressive as a PR guy and because of his speed. However, the fortitude he demonstrated several times going over the middle and bouncing back from some wicked hits, is also a scary thing because he is a little guy.

3. This team has journeyman at FB, a is lackluster in terms of receiving threats at TE which likely means we are going to depend hard on the WRs. Reed is a good guy but probably fits in better as a #4 than as a #2 snd Parrish is a bigger threat at #3.

It is not outrageous if we pick two WRs and actually make them both high picks.

The problem is that we have enough needs where we really can't afford to be giving 2nd round picks away.

It's about impact, my friend. Do you want to be "decent" across the board or make an impact? Getting Gholston or any of the other "top 5" types impacts immediately.

I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

It's about impact, my friend. Do you want to be "decent" across the board or make an impact? Getting Gholston or any of the other "top 5" types impacts immediately.

I'm all for it. :thumbdown:

I agree with your philosophy--you're a lot better off getting one Bruce Smith than two Chris Kelsays. That said, I'm not necessarily convinced that Gholston is going to be significantly better than, say, Harvey.

Trading draft picks to move up and get better value really confuses me.

But, doing all this to draft a player at a position we've just become somewhat deep at completely baffles me.

Sure it downplays our needs, but it seems like the complete opposite of value. In fact, I'd say that there is virtually no such thing as a value pick within the first 10 selections.

Trading draft picks to move up and get better value really confuses me.

But, doing all this to draft a player at a position we've just become somewhat deep at completely baffles me.

Sure it downplays our needs, but it seems like the complete opposite of value. In fact, I'd say that there is virtually no such thing as a value pick within the first 10 selections.

Back in the 2000 draft, the Bills used their first pick on Erik Flowers (26th overall), their 2nd round pick on Travares Tillman (58th overall), their 3rd round pick on Corey Moore, their 4th round pick on Avion Black, their 5th round pick on Sammy Morris, their 6th round pick on Leif Larson, and their 7th round pick on Drew Haddad. Let's say that, instead, they had chosen to trade all their picks for the 9th overall selection, and had drafted Brian Urlacher. I think it's pretty obvious that the Bills would have gotten better value from that one pick than they received from all their picks put together.

I realize that's just one example. Let me give another. In the 2002 draft, the Bills used their 1st round pick on Mike Williams (4th overall), their 2nd round pick on Josh Reed, their 3rd round pick on Coy Wire, (they had no 4th round pick), their 5th round pick on Justin Bannan, their 6th round pick on Kevin Thomas, and their 7th round pick on Mike Pucillo. Would the Bills have been better off trading all that away to take Julius Peppers 2nd overall? Absolutely!

In the 2004 draft, the Bills took Lee Evans in the 1st round (13th overall), J.P. Losman in the first round (23rd overall), Tim Anderson in the 3rd, Tim Euhus in the 4th, and Dylan McFarland and Jonathan Smith in the 7th. Personally, I'd trade all those guys away for Larry Fitzgerald (3rd overall, 6'3", has averaged about 200 more receiving yards per year than Lee Evans).

In the 2005 draft, the Bills took Roscoe Parrish in the 2nd round, Kevin Everett in the 3rd, Duke Preston in the 4th, Eric King in the 5th, Justin Geisinger in the 6th, and Lionel Gates in the 7th. I'd gladly give all that up in exchange for OG Logan Mankins (32nd overall pick).

That's four drafts--out of the last eight--where one player has proved to be worth more than all our draft picks combined. So let's say you're the GM, and you're confident you've identified a real difference maker, who will go early in the draft. And you look at the guys who are likely to be around when your team is picking, and you just don't have the same level of confidence in them that you have in that one guy you've identified. Under those circumstances, it might well make sense to trade up.

Back in the 2000 draft, the Bills used their first pick on Erik Flowers (26th overall), their 2nd round pick on Travares Tillman (58th overall), their 3rd round pick on Corey Moore, their 4th round pick on Avion Black, their 5th round pick on Sammy Morris, their 6th round pick on Leif Larson, and their 7th round pick on Drew Haddad. Let's say that, instead, they had chosen to trade all their picks for the 9th overall selection, and had drafted Brian Urlacher. I think it's pretty obvious that the Bills would have gotten better value from that one pick than they received from all their picks put together.

I realize that's just one example. Let me give another. In the 2002 draft, the Bills used their 1st round pick on Mike Williams (4th overall), their 2nd round pick on Josh Reed, their 3rd round pick on Coy Wire, (they had no 4th round pick), their 5th round pick on Justin Bannan, their 6th round pick on Kevin Thomas, and their 7th round pick on Mike Pucillo. Would the Bills have been better off trading all that away to take Julius Peppers 2nd overall? Absolutely!

In the 2004 draft, the Bills took Lee Evans in the 1st round (13th overall), J.P. Losman in the first round (23rd overall), Tim Anderson in the 3rd, Tim Euhus in the 4th, and Dylan McFarland and Jonathan Smith in the 7th. Personally, I'd trade all those guys away for Larry Fitzgerald (3rd overall, 6'3", has averaged about 200 more receiving yards per year than Lee Evans).

In the 2005 draft, the Bills took Roscoe Parrish in the 2nd round, Kevin Everett in the 3rd, Duke Preston in the 4th, Eric King in the 5th, Justin Geisinger in the 6th, and Lionel Gates in the 7th. I'd gladly give all that up in exchange for OG Logan Mankins (32nd overall pick).

That's four drafts--out of the last eight--where one player has proved to be worth more than all our draft picks combined. So let's say you're the GM, and you're confident you've identified a real difference maker, who will go early in the draft. And you look at the guys who are likely to be around when your team is picking, and you just don't have the same level of confidence in them that you have in that one guy you've identified. Under those circumstances, it might well make sense to trade up.

In the magical land called Retrospect you'd have one helluva point.