OT - Has anyone seen the movie "Garden State"?

Haven't seen it, but the buzz on it here in LA was outstanding. Great reviews, and the "Scrubs" dude got a lot of kudos for his take on NJ. In fact, I read somewhere that when casting the chick, his plan was to get a "Natalie Portman"-type actress, never thinking that Natalie Portman herself would actually take the role.

Did you see it recently?

Haven't seen it, but the buzz on it here in LA was outstanding. Great reviews, and the "Scrubs" dude got a lot of kudos for his take on NJ. In fact, I read somewhere that when casting the chick, his plan was to get a "Natalie Portman"-type actress, never thinking that Natalie Portman herself would actually take the role.

Did you see it recently?

71218[/snapback]

I've wanted to for weeks. It's only left in 1 theater now so I'm wondering if I should try to hit it next week or if I can wait for the DVD.

Did you see it recently?

71218[/snapback]

Scrubs is phenomenal. Along with "Arrested Development" probably the funniest network show on television.

I've wanted to for weeks.  It's only left in 1 theater now so I'm wondering if I should try to hit it next week or if I can wait for the DVD.

71226[/snapback]

Is the film going to fundamentally change between now and when it comes out on DVD? I'd say wait. Movie prices have gotten so ridiculous that I only go for the big budget killer special effects flicks and wait for the storytelling movies to come out on rental.

I did see it. It was great. Completely not what I expected. It takes a couple twists and turns that are interesting. And Yes, Natalie Portman is hot.

Scrubs is phenomenal.  Along with "Arrested Development" probably the funniest network show on television.

71229[/snapback]

Funny. I'm not much of a TV guy, but those are the two comedies I never miss. "Arrested Development" is absolutely hysterical, yet so few people actually watch it. In fact, I think it just won an Emmy for best comedy series...wiping out everything that typically would win.

Jason Bateman was interviewed recently, and said one of the things they are doing is bringing his character a love interest. He was lobbying heavily for the role to be played by his sister, Justine. That's the kind of thing this show could get away with.

Henry Winkler is funny as hell in that as well. I remember one episode they show him in a restroom washing his hands. He starts to comb his hair, stops, and does the old "Fonzie" move.

I suspect you picked up on Ron Howard, who produces the show, doing the narrative voiceovers.

Funny. I'm not much of a TV guy, but those are the two comedies I never miss. "Arrested Development" is absolutely hysterical, yet so few people actually watch it. In fact, I think it just won an Emmy for best comedy series...wiping out everything that typically would win.

Jason Bateman was interviewed recently, and said one of the things they are doing is bringing his character a love interest. He was lobbying heavily for the role to be played by his sister, Justine. That's the kind of thing this show could get away with.

Henry Winkler is funny as hell in that as well. I remember one episode they show him in a restroom washing his hands. He starts to comb his hair, stops, and does the old "Fonzie" move.

I suspect you picked up on Ron Howard, who produces the show, doing the narrative voiceovers.

71276[/snapback]

Yeah. My TIVO is set to record the marathon they've got going this weekend. I'm looking forward to wasting some couch time on it over the next few weeks.

I liked Garden State. It's quirky and well written. The side characters are fantastic and Zack Braff is solid. Zack Braff has an excellent future as an actor and writer. I'm not a Natalie Portman fan -- I think that she looks like a little boy and fails to take full advantage of an excellent character.

I recommend the movie. It's melancholy, but enjoyable.

- I read somewhere that when casting the chick, his plan was to get a "Natalie Portman"-type actress, never thinking that Natalie Portman herself would actually take the role.

what's a natalie portman type actress? one that looks like her? because she's one terrible actress...she's just hot

I thought "Garden State" was terrific and definitely something to see in a theatre. I was shocked at how talented and good Zack Braff was, and I think he is excellent in Scrubs. It was very well written, directed and acted, and one of the better films I have seen in awhile. It may be a little small for the mainstream but very, very enjoyable.

I thought "Garden State" was terrific and definitely something to see in a theatre. I was shocked at how talented and good Zack Braff was, and I think he is excellent in Scrubs. It was very well written, directed and acted, and one of the better films I have seen in awhile. It may be a little small for the mainstream but very, very enjoyable.

72110[/snapback]

Generally I judge a movie to be theatre rather than DVD faire when there is something that lends itself to the large screen (like the pyrotechnics of Star Wars) that loses something on the small screen or alternately if it is such a water-cooler flick that one should go early to talk it over with friends (For example, the movie Lost in Translation can be viewed fairly well from my point of view on the TV as the relationship between the two stars is the important thing and though the panorama of large shots of downtown Tokyo will suffer comparing the big screen to the tube. The real reason to see Translation in the theatre was not due to the cinematography but to talk over what the heck the film meant in coffeehouses and see it before the Oscar ceremonies.

Garden State on the other hand does not seem to have the popularity or breed discussion like Translation so it can wait til DVD though I've already seen it in the theatre. It is a pretty good date movie so if you are going to get in someone's pants using an earthy film and a date to the movies, I'd use this one for that purpose. There is one scene in a quarry that lends itself to panorama but this one can wait in my view.

Generally I judge a movie to be theatre rather than DVD faire when there is something that lends itself to the large screen (like the pyrotechnics of Star Wars) that loses something on the small screen or alternately if it is such a water-cooler flick that one should go early to talk it over with friends (For example, the movie Lost in Translation can be viewed fairly well from my point of view on the TV as the relationship between the two stars is the important thing and though the panorama of large shots of downtown Tokyo will suffer comparing the big screen to the tube. The real reason to see Translation  in the theatre was not due to the cinematography but to talk over what the heck the film meant in coffeehouses and see it before the Oscar ceremonies.

Garden State on the other hand does not seem to have the popularity or breed discussion like Translation so it can wait til DVD though I've already seen it in the theatre.  It is a pretty good date movie so if you are going to get in someone's pants using an earthy film and a date to the movies, I'd use this one for that purpose.  There is one scene in a quarry that lends itself to panorama but this one can wait in my view.

72166[/snapback]

I understand that theory, and a lot of people agree with it, I just don't personally agree with it. I think any and all very good to great films are significantly better on a big screen in a theatre than on DVD, even if you have a good home theatre.