John Carlson... Personal meeting with Buffalo

ans4e64

For whatever its worth, on an interview on ESPN, they asked John what teams are most interested in him.

John said he's had contact with 19 teams, so he can't really narrow things down as to where he'll end up. But he said he's had personal meetings with only 2 teams. Buffalo and Atlanta.

Whatever its worth.

John Carlson

TE | (6'5", 251, 4.879) | NOTRE DAME

Scouts Grade: 84

Flags: (D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy

Strengths: Shows a second gear when tracking the ball downfield, can adjust to passes thrown outside frame and can work the seam. Appears to read defenses well and generally settles into a soft spot when sees zone coverage. Shields defenders from the ball, flashes the ability to win jump balls and has the potential to develop into a productive red zone target. Uses hands well, has quick feet and can get a clean release. Runs hard, flashes the ability to pick up yards after contact and can be productive after the catch. Has strong hands, rarely lets ball get to frame and flashes the ability to make tough catches in traffic. Plays with a wide base, gets adequate hand placement and flashes the ability to sustain blocks. Takes sound angles to blocks, shows good body control in space and can get into position at the second level. Has experience covering kicks and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Focus was a bit inconsistent as a senior, which led to more drops than expected. Footwork is a little streaky, lacks elite explosiveness and can struggle to create separation when running routes versus quicker safeties. Gets upfield quickly after the catch but doesn't have the elusiveness to regularly make defenders miss. Plays a little too high, doesn't show great leg strength and isn't going to drive two-gap defenders off the ball. Bends at the waist rather than the knees when asked to help out in pass protection and can get driven back into the pocket. Missed two games with a knee injury last year and durability is a minor concern.

Overall: Carlson redshirted his first year at Notre Dame (2003). He also played two games on Notre Dame's basketball team in 2003. He appeared in 35 games (19 starts) in his first three seasons (2004-'06), compiling 60 receptions for 721 yards (12.0 average) and five touchdowns. Carlson missed two games in 2006 because of a right knee injury. In 2007, he led the Irish with 40 receptions for 372 yards (9.3 average) and three touchdowns in 12 games (all starts). Carlson did not play well as a senior, as the frustration of a disappointing team clearly took its toll. He dropped more passes than in the past and he didn't seem to play with the same level of aggressiveness. While it is concerning, Carlson should not be graded on his senior season alone. When he had a stronger supporting cast in 2006, Carlson was much more of an impact player. Overall, he isn't an overpowering in-line blocker and he has to work on his footwork in terms of his route running, but he has the size, speed, athletic ability and toughness to develop into a quality every-down starter in the NFL. With that in mind, we consider Carlson a good value in Round 2.

he's my favorite of the tight ends. May not have that top end speed, but watch his highlights and you can see he's got top ball skills - reaches out and plucks the ball out of the air as he's moving and uses his size very well.

Agreed. I'm a fan of his as well.

Notre Dame's brutal QB play certainly kept his numbers down this year.(keeping his value down a bit)

A tight end with good hands? Goodness, it's been so long!!

I loved Carlson coming out of his 3rd season, but he regressed last year. Yeah he didn't have BQ throwing to him and Samardzija and McKnight flanking him, but he was soooo inconsistent. It was maddening. He dropped so many balls and a lot of times in key "step-up" situations when I expected a leader like him to make a play. I mean, you expected the freshman to fck up every now and then, but not him. Especially after the previous season when he caught EVERYTHING Quinn threw in his vicinity. So I'm kind of on the fence about him.

That being said, playing in ND's offense last year must have been like being kicked in the nuts for 60 minutes. I give Carlson the benefit of the doubt and think he could develop into a very good pro.

I loved Carlson coming out of his 3rd season, but he regressed last year. Yeah he didn't have BQ throwing to him and Samardzija and McKnight flanking him, but he was soooo inconsistent. It was maddening. He dropped so many balls and a lot of times in key "step-up" situations when I expected a leader like him to make a play. I mean, you expected the freshman to fck up every now and then, but not him. Especially after the previous season when he caught EVERYTHING Quinn threw in his vicinity. So I'm kind of on the fence about him.

That being said, playing in ND's offense last year must have been like being kicked in the nuts for 60 minutes. I give Carlson the benefit of the doubt and think he could develop into a very good pro.

i think you answered you own criticism of him. i dont know many receivers who would be grabbing everything Clausen throws.

it was much clearer, when he had a QB who could deliver the ball, that he could catch.

i think you answered you own criticism of him. i dont know many receivers who would be grabbing everything Clausen throws.

it was much clearer, when he had a QB who could deliver the ball, that he could catch.

No doubt it was a factor. But what I'm saying is Clausen and Sharpley were hitting him in the hands. I don't mean that they were throwin ducks and he wasn't snatching them up. He was dropping tight spirals right into his mitts, it was 100% concentration.

If it seems that I'm trashing him, it's probably because my hopes for him were so high after '06. He wasn't terrible, just disappointing.

he's my favorite of the tight ends. May not have that top end speed, but watch his highlights and you can see he's got top ball skills - reaches out and plucks the ball out of the air as he's moving and uses his size very well.

Choose your words more carefully or you'll give senator and the Losman orchestra the wrong impression and they'll be trying to convince you to join the band.

Good plucker.

Of the top 7 TE's in this draft, only 2 --Carlson and Bennett-- are rated better than average blockers. Bennett's likely a RD#2 pick (DraftTek has him going to us there), and Carlson goes in RD#4 to Atlanta 11 picks before ours.

Nice highlights... The Halo theme is a bit dramatic for a 2nd-3rd round TE, but it got a laugh out of me...

Carlson has some really great hands, and he's HUGE!!! I'd really enjoy watching him knock a Pats LB into next week and dominate the red zone.... He looks like a solid weapon...

Nice highlights... The Halo theme is a bit dramatic for a 2nd-3rd round TE, but it got a laugh out of me...

Carlson has some really great hands, and he's HUGE!!! I'd really enjoy watching him knock a Pats LB into next week and dominate the red zone.... He looks like a solid weapon...

Anybody else notice they used 3 of the same catches twice? :D

Anybody else notice they used 3 of the same catches twice? :D

:bag: Yeah.... Looks like he didn't have enough highlights for a 3 minute clip.... but if he can eventually block as well as he seems to catch, I'm sure he can fill out a youtube reel.... and help Master Chief save the world! :thumbsup:

I REALLY like Fred Davis, but the difference between him and Carlson is minimal, and I actually think Carlson would be a better fit for the Bills. On film he plays with Jeremy Shockey type passion, but without the attitude and immaturity. His ability to stretch the field is grossly underrated, and he's probably the second or third best blocking TE in this draft. I like everything about the guy and would be thrilled if he ended up with the Bills.