Malcolm Kelly

Is he the 11th pick in the draft anymore? No. As an avid proponent of his I will even omit that. But if he's available to us in the 2nd round he has the stuff draft steals are made of.

Anquan Bolden, who many compare Kelly to, faced nearly the exact same devalued circumstances based on his 40 time. Jerry Rice, arguably the best receiver of all time ran in the high 4.6 range at best, some say even in the 4.7 range. The 40 yard dash is one of the most overrated measuring sticks in football. It has no guarantee the player has the real speed needed to play this game, football speed. If you watch tape on Kelly, it's clear he has great football speed for a man his size. It's also clear he has far more going for him then just that. Incredible over the middle potential, hands, body control, leaping ability, the list could go on and on.

He likely wasn't fully recovered for this work out, and shame on his agent for sending a letter that he was. He was forced to run to justify his draft position, a position most predicted would be in the mid teens based on what he did on the field. Shouldn't that be the place that matters most? This isn't a guy that missed substantial amounts of action in college. A few games sure, not full seasons, or even half of one at that. We see good players injured all the time with knee and leg issues, who end up being or remaining great players post injury. One of our all time second round steals should come to mind in Thurman Thomas. Imagine where these types would be drafted if forced to run before they recovered? The season is months away, and he will heal, so why does it matter how healthy he is in early April?

Kelly has every right to be pissed right now. He's being treated like beaten mule, and lost millions for everything but his on field performance. He will have a massive chip on his shoulder for whoever lands him, and I would be thrilled if we could get him in the 2nd round. When the dust settles, he will be twice the player Hardy or any other post 1st round option would be. I for one, still think he might end up being the best WR in this class.

Flame away

That 4.75 would probably be enough to scare me away until at least R3 unless he can redeem himself with a faster run in the next two weeks. As we all know, speed can't really be taught. If that really is indicative of his speed, I think he faces very long odds of making it. There comes a point where a player is simply too slow to make it in the NFL. That doesn't mean he's not worth taking a chance on, but I think there will be safer prospects available with about as much upside at their respective positions at least through R2, if not 3.

But again, if between now and the draft he runs in the general neighborhood of a 4.55 or even 4.6 for some team in a private workout, it changes matters quite a bit.

That 4.75 would probably be enough to scare me away until at least R3 unless he can redeem himself with a faster run in the next two weeks. As we all know, speed can't really be taught. If that really is indicative of his speed, I think he faces very long odds of making it. There comes a point where a player is simply too slow to make it in the NFL. That doesn't mean he's not worth taking a chance on, but I think there will be safer prospects available with about as much upside at their respective positions at least through R2, if not 3.

But again, if between now and the draft he runs in the general neighborhood of a 4.55 or even 4.6 for some team in a private workout, it changes matters quite a bit.

well he ran a 4.68 too - so he's getting there already....

An educated estimate of a potential draft pick's evaluation by an NFL squad....

How did he fare vs. good competition when he actually played on the field? < 75% of evaluation >

How is his character? < 15% of evaluation >

How are his measureables? < 10% of evaluation >

well he ran a 4.68 too - so he's getting there already....

Honestly, I think that its very likely that he will post a solid 40 time for one of these teams that brings him in during the next 2 weeks. We may not hear about it, thoigh. The more I read, the more I think it was just a very slow track and from the sound of it, he probably stressed himself out so bad that it, too, hurt his time. But until he proves it, the questions about his speed have only been magnified.

An educated estimate of a potential draft pick's evaluation by an NFL squad....

How did he fare vs. good competition when he actually played on the field? < 75% of evaluation >

How is his character? < 15% of evaluation >

How are his measureables? < 10% of evaluation >

I think that's its more pass or fail on the character and measurables. Its not about minute differences in measurables, but whether he meets certain standards. If he doesn't, his draft stock is impacted accordingly.

I still would make a move to get back into the end of the 1st to draft him. I would trade up to #20 to be safe, of if they are hoping to see him drop to them in the 2nd, and it gets closer and closer, it would be hard for me not to trade a 4th to move up 6 or 7 spots. That is if the Bills like him as much as I do.

The only good thing out of this all is that there is still potential to get a superstar type WR, and still pick up another starter type at 11, sort of like last year with Lynch and Poz. At 11 now I can see them go CB or Guard, unless thet love Devin Thomas.

This whole thing with Kelly looks to be more mismanagement from the start. His agent probably lowballed the usual guys, and now you see what you get.

I think that's its more pass or fail on the character and measurables. Its not about minute differences in measurables, but whether he meets certain standards. If he doesn't, his draft stock is impacted accordingly.

Listening to Modrak and others such as Polian speak on their draft philosophies numerous times I would tend to think my estimation was fairly accurate, but if I stop to think for a moment there are likely various philosophies that have been successful and your take seems logical as well.