Fins Negotiating with a Long

K-Gun10

Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 4:43 PM ET | Link

DOLPHINS NEGOTIATING WITH JAKE LONG'S AGENT: According to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins have begun negotiations on a contract for OT Jake Long, making him the current favorite to be the top pick in the draft. The agent for Long is also the agent for Matt Ryan, but it's believed Miami is less interested in Ryan with the top pick. Just because the team is negotiating with Long's representation doesn't mean it's a lock because negotiations can break down, but it's a strong indiciation for sure. Apparently there has been no such contact between Miami and DE Chris Long, who is projected in many mock drafts to be the Dolphins' pick.

---

Parcells knows what hes doing. They could take either Long and he'd be a force. Their o line is in shambles and they still have Jason Taylor thats why its Jake instead of Chris IMO

They could stand to start thinking about Taylor's replacement, but an NFL-caliber left tackle is something they haven't had for a "long" time. So... surprising? Not really. Parcells has been known to use #1 picks on linemen before, although not from the #1 slot. Here's a list of all his first-rounders:

Giants 83-90: Terry Kinard, S; Carl Banks, LB; William Roberts, T; George Adams, RB; Eric Dorsey, DE: Mark Ingram, WR; Eric Moore, T; Brian Williams, G; Rodney Hampton, RB

Pats 93-96: Drew Bledsoe, QB (#1 overall pick); Willie McGinest, LB; Ty Law, CB; Terry Glenn, WR

Jets 97-99: James Farrior, LB; no #1 in 1998 or 1999

Cowboys 03-06: Terence Newman, CB; no #1 in 2004 (Losman trade); Demarcus Ware, DE; Marcus Spears, DE

This is smart on Parcells part. Negotiate with a guy long before the draft and try to come to a contract ahead of time so right after Goodell announces the name they can get him to sign and hand him a playbook. I don't understand why the Faders didn't do this last year? I can understand a little more the second pick on staying out of camp during contract negotiations but since a team can negotiate with the first overall pick before the draft it's inexcusable for them have a guy hold out. Just another sign the Faders are stupid.

The Faiders tried but could not come to a deal; they tried telling their pick they were willing to look elsewhere but the agent did not believe them.

If OT Jake Long does not negotiate a contract ahead of time they ought to pick DE Chris Long or trade the pick. This way when they are drafting for #1 pick next year they will have agents believe them when they say sign or not be picked #1.

Houston Texans did it 2 years ago with Mario Williams..........It is a smart move get it out of the way. Lets just hope they dont sit and wait for the entire 10 minutes to annouce the pick. Man I am glad they are doing 10 minutes instead of 15 now.......im still a fan of teams having 5 minutes to pick.....

I hope they get something done.

One of the things I do NOT want to hear about on draft day is Chris Long going to miami.

Better than Dad, you think?

John Beck is the answer for the next decade in Miami, why draft Ryan at #1?

...and with Beck entrenched for the next decade, I want to see a George Wilson play every season & years of 1-15 long after Tuna has given up & returned to his natural habitat-Saratoga Race Course.

Better than Dad, you think?

He's got a long stroll to get to the end of that road.

All I know is he's the best player I saw on any college field last year. A one-man wrecking crew every single time I caught a Virginia game. He actually made me afraid for people more than a couple times. :worthy:

Yeah, but I am loving Miami having no blocking.

It has been fun. But a Jake Long pick wouldn't bother me because I think it might be fun to have another rookie Tackle in the division for Schobel to snack on. :thumbsup:

He's got a long stroll to get to the end of that road.

All I know is he's the best player I saw on any college field last year. A one-man wrecking crew every single time I caught a Virginia game. He actually made me afraid for people more than a couple times. :worthy:

It has been fun. But a Jake Long pick wouldn't bother me because I think it might be fun to have another rookie Tackle in the division for Schobel to snack on. :thumbsup:

Schobel? He stinks. I read it right here, don't ya know.

:worthy:

Miami wants Chris Long.

They are using Jake Long to set up a base-line contract.

They will try to force thier preferred choice to agree to a favorable contract ahead of time - which may not be true #1 money, but it will be better than something lower in the draft.

Brady Quinn had the chance to take the pre-draft deal but took his chances - he dropped to #22 and lost MILLIONS.