Wire comments on Shaw

Dan III

I did, before the season started. I also called for Henry to be traded, and was skeptical of McNally.

How about you, guest?  :w00t:

70918[/snapback]

Good call then.

Me, no, I thought Shaw was our 2nd best player on offense last season and expected even greater things from him this season with another year in the system and more familiarity with his QB.

Why were you skeptical of McNally before the season?  Just curious - most were praising him as a savior...

70920[/snapback]

For the exact reason that you mention.

I am thinking that most of our offensive line have been playing football since they were kids. While I do respect McNally's resume, I saw no way he could make Jennings not get injured, Teague strong, Smith a "somebody" nor Williams give a crap.

And that one statement my friends is exactly why releasing Shaw was the right thing to do for this team.  I could care less if he goes to New England and catches 75 balls now.  The Bills need to get rid of players who are part of the cycle of losing. They need new blood.

70754[/snapback]

That's what the B'gals ended up doing. By my count, they have only 10 players now, who were on the team in 2001. On the 53-man squad, they've got 8 rookies and 6 players with 1 year's NFL experience.

That's what the B'gals ended up doing. By my count, they have only 10 players now, who were on the team in 2001. On the 53-man squad, they've got 8 rookies and 6 players with 1 year's NFL experience.

70945[/snapback]

But isn't that what TD has been doing the last 4 years. Ridding us of the losers and replacing them with different players?

I guess he chose losers to replace the losers with!

Not surprsing since TD is a loser himself.

For the exact reason that you mention.

I am thinking that most of our offensive line have been playing football since they were kids. While I do respect McNally's resume, I saw no way he could make Jennings not get injured, Teague strong, Smith a "somebody" nor Williams give a crap.

70937[/snapback]

Well said, Bill. There's only so much a coach, even a well respected coach, can do with inferior players or players who have 'issues'.

Well said, Bill.  There's only so much a coach, even a well respected coach, can do with inferior players or players who have 'issues'.

70989[/snapback]

Thanks. :w00t: Think about it, Big Mike has probably collected (including his signing bonus) between 10 and 15 million in 3 short years. Motivation probably has to come from within when a kid has this much money.

Back to the original topic... I support the move, just as I supported the release of Ruben. Imo, RB was infected with the "Fina" mentality of "If I hold off the pass rusher for 3 seconds and I have done my job." You have got to get rid of players like this, nice guy or not.

Is Thomas #28? This guy stands there laughing every time he gives up a play. He would not be laughing with my money if I owned the team.

Mark made a good point several times. The Bills need football players, not dancing, complacent, laughing nice guys.

When the player is a veteran, is buried on the depth chart, (apparently) isn't working hard, isn't picking up the offense as fast as some younger guys, doesn't contribute meaningfully on special teams, etc. Well, the coach shows that guy the door, plain and simple. It's not like one can't go out and find a decent, capable 4th or 5th receiver out there.

Will Shaw produce for the Patriots? It could happen. Easily. He just got a message on motivation and he's going to a good team with great coaches and will have to prove himself. Why wouldn't he want to stick around in NE and maybe get a taste of a Super Bowl?

Good call then.

Me, no, I thought Shaw was our 2nd best player on offense last season and expected even greater things from him this season with another year in the system and more familiarity with his QB.

70928[/snapback]

Last year is last year. So far this year he's caught 5 passes and blown many assignments. It's quite obvious that along with being a statement to the other players on the Bills, that there were other issues with Shaw. If it were only on-field performance, they would have done as you said and just demoted him to 5th WR and elevated Aiken.