Garrard signs seven-year, $60 million contract with Jags

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3333818

Garrard and his agent, Albert Irby, had been seeking something similar to the six-year, $67.5 million contract Dallas quarterback Tony Romo signed last season.

I know cap dollars are not worth as much as they used to be but this is ridiculous.

Garrard has only started majority of games 2 seasons and has equivalant of three years experience.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3333818

Garrard and his agent, Albert Irby, had been seeking something similar to the six-year, $67.5 million contract Dallas quarterback Tony Romo signed last season.

I know cap dollars are not worth as much as they used to be but this is ridiculous.

Garrard has only started majority of games 2 seasons and has equivalant of three years experience.

His QBR has been 80.5 in 2006 & 102.2 in 2007.....winning 9 of 12 starts last year.

It'll be interesting to see if he remains consistent.

I am not trying to reopen the QB debate; I am simply pointing out how quickly things can change and how expensive QBs are becoming.

The difference is Garrard has had two good seasons, and there is no reason to think he won't continue being a solid QB as they add more weapons for him.

The difference is Garrard has had two good seasons, and there is no reason to think he won't continue being a solid QB as they add more weapons for him.

The difference between the two of them was already stated by me (Losman did not step up and have another good season such as Garrard). Garrard was not even firmly established as the starter at the end of last season... it was only after a superb season in 2007 that this changed.

He looks like more than that to me. Shows a lot of leadership and detemination on the field. Had great numbers last year and can use his feet when needed. Also looks like a tough guy that can take a hit.

Garrard will lead them to the playoffs by simply handing off to Jones Drew/Taylor and not throwing INTs. Thats a game manager.

The difference between the two of them was already stated by me (Losman did not step up and have another good season such as Garrard). Garrard was not even firmly established as the starter at the end of last season... it was only after a superb season in 2007 that this changed.

D'oh, my bad, I misread the thread.

Garrard will lead them to the playoffs by simply handing off to Jones Drew/Taylor and not throwing INTs. Thats a game manager.

I know this is not a valid statistical argument, but lets extrapolate his numbers over the whole season:

3345 yards, 24 TDs, 4 INTs.

This would put him right above Eli Manning for the #12 slot for yards, right above Eli Manning for the #11 slot for TDs. That isn't exactly just managing games.

I know this is not a valid statistical argument, but lets extrapolate his numbers over the whole season:

3345 yards, 24 TDs, 4 INTs.

This would put him right above Eli Manning for the #12 slot for yards, right above Eli Manning for the #11 slot for TDs. That isn't exactly just managing games.

If Garrard stays healthy and plays THAT well over a full season, i'll give him his props and say he was worth the 60 mil. But currently, he's not worth 60 mil to me. I simply dont trust him to actually go out and win a game. He can not lose it, and he fits jacksonville's system excellently. But he's not worth 60 million.