Ross Tucker from SI.com writes a review on the OL.

It's a good read. Do we have the stud RG in Brad Butler? I would like to add more help to this position in this year's draft. Although marv & Co spent gobs of money on our OL we still have a ways to go before it's the kind of line that dominates. I said earlier in another post tonight that I wouldn't be disappointed if we weren't able to get Derrick Harvey that we drafted Branden Albert with our first pick.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ings/index.html

It's a good read. Do we have the stud RG in Brad Butler? I would like to add more help to this position in this year's draft. Although marv & Co spent gobs of money on our OL we still have a ways to go before it's the kind of line that dominates. I said earlier in another post tonight that I wouldn't be disappointed if we weren't able to get Derrick Harvey that we drafted Branden Albert with our first pick.

Good call. Thanks for pointing this one out. And good for Ross, I liked him when he was here. Always seemed to give everything he had. Our line seemed to play better with him in too. Too bad he got hurt.

Because the left guard position is generally less difficult than the right guard position, I have been consistently perplexed the last couple of seasons by the amount of money teams are investing in the position.

Steve Hutchinson, Kris Dielman, Eric Steinbach, Derrick Dockery and Faneca lead the parade of left guards that have received contracts in excess of $40 million.

There is a reason why most of the interior guys getting paid the big money are left guards and not right guards and the sooner teams can figure it out, the sooner they can begin to allocate more of their money to a position that creates a greater value proposition.

i don't understand those that would want to spend a first on Albert. When you find a guy that can play at a very high level later in the draft, like we did with Butler, you don't replace him just for the heck of it because you have an opportunity to get a first rounder. We know Butler can play, we don't really know if Albert is an upgrade at all. Considering how well Butler played, it seems to me like a bet not worth making.

I think we definitely need to add somebody in the middle rounds though to get better interior depth hopefully replacing Preston. One sleeper prospect is Kerry Brown from Appalachian State, who looks like he could be a great value in the 4th or 5th.

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys...erry-brown---og

i don't understand those that would want to spend a first on Albert. When you find a guy that can play at a very high level later in the draft, like we did with Butler, you don't replace him just for the heck of it because you have an opportunity to get a first rounder. We know Butler can play, we don't really know if Albert is an upgrade at all. Considering how well Butler played, it seems to me like a bet not worth making.

I think we definitely need to add somebody in the middle rounds though to get better interior depth hopefully replacing Preston. One sleeper prospect is Kerry Brown from Appalachian State, who looks like he could be a great value in the 4th or 5th.

The problem imo is the overall mindset this franchise has had about blockers.

We have a very freaking good LT. Why? Because we lucked out and signed him as a ufa, dropped him, and brought him back.

We were lucky that we signed Walker so cheap at RT. My compliments to Marv on this one because if he was a ufa this season, he would make a whole lot more than 5 yrs./25 mil.

I like Dockery, but what is he, the highest paid Bill in history? We blew right past countless OGs in the draft who were comparable or even better.

Fowler looks like a good OC, but he gets shoved around far too often.

Butler is a fighter, and I like this. As a LT in college, he probably had to concern himself more with agility than the pure brute strength needed from a RG. If he can bulk uo a bit, he could be a very good player, especially for a 5th.

After this, because of years of neglect and mistakes (Williams/Preston) we have nothing. If there is a great OG out there in the early rounds (even the 1st), taking him would be a good thing. Who knows? Could he or Butler play OC? Could one of them fill in a few games for Peters if he gets hurt?

We have seen how much these guys get paid now as UFAs. It isn't pretty.

Once again, good teams draft good linemen, and they do it often and early. The Bills are a shining example of a team who does not do this, and loses. :ph34r:

Butler is a fighter, and I like this. As a LT in college, he probably had to concern himself more with agility than the pure brute strength needed from a RG. If he can bulk uo a bit, he could be a very good player, especially for a 5th.

Not 2b a dick, but Butler was an Rt in college. DeBrickishaw Ferguson was the LT.

Ain't no way a rookie is going to come in and take away any of the current starters jobs on the O line this season. The only way they paly at all is if there's an injury.

The problem imo is the overall mindset this franchise has had about blockers.

We have a very freaking good LT. Why? Because we lucked out and signed him as a ufa, dropped him, and brought him back.

We were lucky that we signed Walker so cheap at RT. My compliments to Marv on this one because if he was a ufa this season, he would make a whole lot more than 5 yrs./25 mil.

I like Dockery, but what is he, the highest paid Bill in history? We blew right past countless OGs in the draft who were comparable or even better.

Fowler looks like a good OC, but he gets shoved around far too often.

After this, because of years of neglect and mistakes (Williams/Preston) we have nothing. If there is a great OG out there in the early rounds (even the 1st), taking him would be a good thing. Who knows? Could he or Butler play OC? Could one of them fill in a few games for Peters if he gets hurt?

We have seen how much these guys get paid now as UFAs. It isn't pretty.

Once again, good teams draft good linemen, and they do it often and early. The Bills are a shining example of a team who does not do this, and loses. :unsure:

BUTLER GRADED OUT HIGHER THAAN ANY OTHER O LINEMAN ON THE BILLS THIS YEAR

Good Pick, Mr. Jauron!

Kerry Brown is one of the best late round values at OG...Mean, great feet, persistent. Oh, and he's a hunter. Hopefully better than Cheney.

bill,

i like your focus, but you are banging this OL drum WAYYYYY to hard.

much much higher importance to the bills

WR

TE

CB

DT

another WR

Bills should take the talent if available.

If an OT grades out significantly higher than WR- it's stupid to take the pure need when that player just fills a hole and is not an elite playmaker.

Bennett or Nelson can be taken in the 2nd round to will fill the WR hole.

The Bills have zero depth anywhere on the OL. Their C needs a serious upgrade.

Any injury at tackles and the Bills season is done - not to metion whoever is playing QB will be put at serious risk.

I'd think LT or RT would be the most difficult. How many tackles like Peters are in the NFL right now.....not many.