Word to the wise

I got in a debate with one of my friends the other day as to what exactly, smart, intelligent, and wise mean. So, I figured I'd ask the board, how would you define the three.

I think:

Smart: The ability to rationally be put in a situation and figure things out

Intelligent: The ability to learn something and retain that knowledge

Wisdom: The ability to understand how a situation can impact things in the future and a person's ability to put things in perspective.

Smart: The ability to look up definitions in the dictionary.

Wisdom: The ability to understand what kind of questions not to ask on a football message board

Fixed <_<

Gary M pretty much shut the door on that debate, so I'll digress if Syl Sylvain doesn't mind.

I got into a debate with one of my friends the other day as to whether you should actually lace the last two eyelets of a pair of Chuck Taylor All Star high-tops. My friend was of the opinion that yes, you should, because that's why they are there. I disagreed in that the last set of eyelets is really just for show, lacing them is too constrictive, and not lacing them requires less labor. His rebuttal was that not using them would make the leftover lengths of shoelace too long, and you'd have to double knot them, thereby requiring too much labor for a pair of sneakers, especially a pair of Chuck Taylors, a blue collar shoe. His was an outstanding point, but my rebuttal to his excellent rebuttal was that you just use a shorter pair of laces. We both agreed that my interpretation was outside of the shoebox type thinking and I was in the right, provided that you already had the shorter laces because spending the extra money for shorter laces would be cheating. We toasted an end to this excellent debate, and moved on to a discussion of significant pick-slides in rock and roll.

Gary M pretty much shut the door on that debate, so I'll digress if Syl Sylvain doesn't mind.

I got into a debate with one of my friends the other day as to whether you should actually lace the last two eyelets of a pair of Chuck Taylor All Star high-tops. My friend was of the opinion that yes, you should, because that's why they are there. I disagreed in that the last set of eyelets is really just for show, lacing them is too constrictive, and not lacing them requires less labor. His rebuttal was that not using them would make the leftover lengths of shoelace too long, and you'd have to double knot them, thereby requiring too much labor for a pair of sneakers, especially a pair of Chuck Taylors, a blue collar shoe. His was an outstanding point, but my rebuttal to his excellent rebuttal was that you just use a shorter pair of laces. We both agreed that my interpretation was outside of the shoebox type thinking and I was in the right, provided that you already had the shorter laces because spending the extra money for shorter laces would be cheating. We toasted an end to this excellent debate, and moved on to a discussion of significant pick-slides in rock and roll.

Mods: Can we move this to PPP? :ph34r:

I got in a debate with one of my friends the other day as to what exactly, smart, intelligent, and wise mean. So, I figured I'd ask the board, how would you define the three.

I think:

Smart: The ability to rationally be put in a situation and figure things out

Wisdom: The ability to understand how a situation can impact things in the future and a person's ability to put things in perspective.

Have you actually read this board? I am not sure if you have the right audience to be debating this topic. :ph34r: