Just picked up Pro Football Weekly's draft guide

JoeF

Its still the best publication in my mind...some interesting insights:

1) Of all the tall WR's -- everyone has a significant flaw--

Devin Thomas-best potential but only one year of high production

Limas Sweed- really hard worker but the injury question

Malcolm Kelly- work ethic questioned and effort questioned

Hardy- Work ethic questioned and alleged assault on his girlfriend and baby son in 2006

Jordy Nelson - Speed and blocking questioned but good work ethic

He has Sweed going the earliest at #24 in his first round mock (as of March 6). In his top 150 regardless of position he has

Sweed 19

Thomas 22

Kelly 24

Manningham 28

Hardy 31

DeSean Jackson 47 (although he has Jackson going at #20 in his first round mock)

2) As for the TE's

Rucker, Davis, Bennett are all questionable work ethic guys

Carlson has the speed issue

Keller is more of an Hback who he calls situational

Some other surprises--he flags McFadden as a major character risk -- says he may never be able to escape his posse..and points out that he is fumbler -- 23 fumbles in the last 3 years..Ranks Jonathan Stewart (7th in top 150) above McFadden (9th in top 150)

Based on his write-ups there's more sure fire value on D in round 1 and no WR or TE distinguishes themselves enough to look at until late round 1 or early round 2.

Just another pundit, but he does pretty meticulous work. Its worth the $20 cover price...

Here's the entire write up on Hardy...

Has a son. Redshirted in 2004 but played basketball for the Hoosiers starting 3 of 23 games in which he played. Started 10 of 11 games in '05 and registered 61 receptions for 893 yards and 10 touchdowns. In May 06 was arrested and charged with domestic battery and interfering with the reporting of a crime when he allegedly attacked his girlfriend and infant son. When the police arrived at the scene, the girlfriend's shirt was torn and she had marks on the side and back of her neck. the charges were dropped after he participated in a pretrial diversion program. Started 10 of 10 games in 06 bu was suspended for two early-season games for unspecified personal reasons apparently unrelated to the arrest. Finished with 51-722-10. Started all 13 games in 07 amassed 79-1125-16. Set a school record with 36 career TD's.

Positives-Natural athlete with rare size. Good hands and balance. Difficult to defend in the red zone. Very agile for his size. Makes some acrobatic catches and can slide to the ground to catch the low ball. Adjusts to the ball very well above his head plucking it out of the air. Outstanding career production.

Negatives-Not a blazer. Shows too many concentration lapses. Not as physical off the line as his size would suggest. Not a disciplined route runner. Knows how gifted he is and takes advantage of it. Too inconsistent. Struggled to produce against better competition. Cannot transition in and out of his breaks quickly and accelerate away from tight press coverage. Lacks concentration and makes easy drops. Is still young and immature.

Summary: has shown some signs of maturing, but still has a long way to go before he grows up and becomes a pro. Rare size could create match up problems but has shown he can be slowed against physical press coverage. Needs to become a more crafty route runner to uncover vs. NFL competition.

Note--this is a sample of the depth of write-up provided by PFW and Nawrocki..

According to Nawrocki, who are the Bills' picks in rounds 1 & 2?

No 2 round mock in the publication...as of March 6 print date for the book he has us taking Sedrick Ellis in the first--this even with knowledge of our Free Agent signings..

On-line his current pick is..as of April 2nd is Devin Thomas

11. Buffalo Bills

WR Devin Thomas*, Michigan State

One-year wonders always pose some risk, but Thomas has playmaking ability that could open up the offense for Trent Edwards and complement Lee Evans very nicely.

Its still the best publication in my mind...some interesting insights:

1) Of all the tall WR's -- everyone has a significant flaw--

Devin Thomas-best potential but only one year of high production

Limas Sweed- really hard worker but the injury question

Malcolm Kelly- work ethic questioned and effort questioned

Hardy- Work ethic questioned and alleged assault on his girlfriend and baby son in 2006

Jordy Nelson - Speed and blocking questioned but good work ethic

He has Sweed going the earliest at #24 in his first round mock (as of March 6). In his top 150 regardless of position he has

Sweed 19

Thomas 22

Kelly 24

Manningham 28

Hardy 31

DeSean Jackson 47 (although he has Jackson going at #20 in his first round mock)

2) As for the TE's

Rucker, Davis, Bennett are all questionable work ethic guys

Carlson has the speed issue

Keller is more of an Hback who he calls situational

Some other surprises--he flags McFadden as a major character risk -- says he may never be able to escape his posse..and points out that he is fumbler -- 23 fumbles in the last 3 years..Ranks Jonathan Stewart (7th in top 150) above McFadden (9th in top 150)

Based on his write-ups there's more sure fire value on D in round 1 and no WR or TE distinguishes themselves enough to look at until late round 1 or early round 2.

Just another pundit, but he does pretty meticulous work. Its worth the $20 cover price...

I don't think spending the 11th pick on the 19th best player should be considered a reach. Especially if the Bills medical staff has no worries about his wrist injury. If it weren't for that injury he'd be rated a lot higher.

I'm not comparing Sweed to Thomas just there situations and Thurman was passed over by a lot of teams due to injury and it turned out to be unfounded. I'll trust the Bills medical staff and if they take him I'll have no concerns about that.

Hadn't heard of this until now, but if there's even a shred of truth to this, I really hope the Bills pass on him.

I can't blame you for that opinion but when you pass on a guy like that, you give up the idea of benefitting from the guy turning his life around. Look at Randy Moss. I wouldn't automatically pass on him but I would want to be very sure, as sure as you can be with this sort of thing, that he has put that kind of garbage behind him.

If we do pass on a WR in Rd. 1 which seems to be a popular sentiment at this point, Hardy is probably going to be the best guy still on the board in Rd. 2 though we might have to nudge up a bit to get him, something Modrak has done repeatedly in the past with JP, Denney, McCargo and Poz.

As I recall, it took a bit of work to get Moulds on the straight and narrow but once he started acting like a pro off the filed and in training, he turned out OK.

I can't blame you for that opinion but when you pass on a guy like that, you give up the idea of benefitting from the guy turning his life around. Look at Randy Moss. I wouldn't automatically pass on him but I would want to be very sure, as sure as you can be with this sort of thing, that he has put that kind of garbage behind him.

If we do pass on a WR in Rd. 1 which seems to be a popular sentiment at this point, Hardy is probably going to be the best guy still on the board in Rd. 2 though we might have to nudge up a bit to get him, something Modrak has done repeatedly in the past with JP, Denney, McCargo and Poz.

As I recall, it took a bit of work to get Moulds on the straight and narrow but once he started acting like a pro off the filed and in training, he turned out OK.

IIRC, Moss never beat his girlfriend and baby. Big difference there.

IIRC, Moss never beat his girlfriend and baby. Big difference there.

He didn't beat a baby, he roughed up the girlfriend in the kids presence during an argument with her. The charges were dropped and they don't do that to a guy who "beat up a 1 year old".

Moss was in a racially motivated fight that cost him his scholarship to Notre Dame. Charges weren't dropped as they were against Hardy, he was sentenced to 30 days in jail. Then he tested positive for drugs while in jail leading to a stint in solitary and a jail sentence of 90 days. That cost him his scholarship to Florida State. Four months out of jail and he was arrested for domestic abuse to an ex-girlfriend when he dropped his daughter off at her house. Sound familiar?

Oh yeah, the charges were dropped. Then there was the incident where he bumped a cop with his car and knocked her to the ground. Pot found in his car, etc.

No question that any team thinking about Hardy needs to think long and hard and to do their homework. He is definitely worth a look though.

No 2 round mock in the publication...as of March 6 print date for the book he has us taking Sedrick Ellis in the first--this even with knowledge of our Free Agent signings..

On-line his current pick is..as of April 2nd is Devin Thomas

11. Buffalo Bills

WR Devin Thomas*, Michigan State

One-year wonders always pose some risk, but Thomas has playmaking ability that could open up the offense for Trent Edwards and complement Lee Evans very nicely.

I'm beginning to like this Thomas kid.......