Idol Roundup: Dolly Parton week

John Adams

Dolly Parton week? Had the makings of disaster but who knew she wrote so many songs (and performed others). I found her hard not to like.

Ramiele- Is this another Sanjeya joke? She. Is. The. Worst. If a 2 foot tall untalented Asian woman can survive Dolly Parton week (YEEHAW), I'm out.

Michael Johns- I had this guy all but written off to mediocrity a few weeks ago. But he came on strong with that bluesy tune. Maybe he has some talent. One of the top 2 performances of the week.

Kristy Cook- She'll probably live another week because Ramiele was so awful, but that song? "My momma made me a rag coat and I called it my rainbow coat?" Oh my aching head. Here's my version: "Kristy Cook shouldn't have sold her horse to get on American Idol because she sucks."

Seyisha Mercado- It's at least her 2nd Whitney song and maybe her 3rd. Get over it. You ain't Whitney. So damn dull. Could be gone this week.

David Archuletta- Kid's got a good voice. I wanna slap whoever is telling this prepackaged jerkoff to look at the camera every 10 seconds and squint. I hear he's going to be in High School Musical 4 as Troy Bolton's boy-love.

David Cook. He's got chops. Arranged his own song and it was a ballady type. Still the best overall performer. Neck and neck with Michael Johns for performance of the week.

Brooke White. What can I say? I like the song Jolene and thought she did a good job as a country singer. The way she takes criticism makes me really uncomfortable. Someone needs to talk to her about her reactions to the judges. Paula was right though: "[she]. Is. Brooke. White."

Carly Smithson. Bad clothing aside (uncomfortable moment when Simon pointed that out), she has the best pure voice of anyone. Just a notch below the two guys this week. Hard to dance and move when you're belting out a song like that.

Jason. Pfffft. Heh. Heh. Heh. Du u u u de. Pass the spliff man. Heh heh heh. He must have taken one less hit this week as he was a little more upbeat than normal. Still can't sing that well.

Overall top 3

1 David Cooke

2 Carly Smithson

3 Michael Johns (knock White from the top 3)

Bottom 3

9 Ramiele

8 Kristy Cook

7 Seyisha

Dolly Parton week? Had the makings of disaster but who knew she wrote so many songs (and performed others). I found her hard not to like.

Ramiele- Is this another Sanjeya joke? She. Is. The. Worst. If a 2 foot tall untalented Asian woman can survive Dolly Parton week (YEEHAW), I'm out.

Michael Johns- I had this guy all but written off to mediocrity a few weeks ago. But he came on strong with that bluesy tune. Maybe he has some talent. One of the top 2 performances of the week.

Kristy Cook- She'll probably live another week because Ramiele was so awful, but that song? "My momma made me a rag coat and I called it my rainbow coat?" Oh my aching head. Here's my version: "Kristy Cook shouldn't have sold her horse to get on American Idol because she sucks."

Seyisha Mercado- It's at least her 2nd Whitney song and maybe her 3rd. Get over it. You ain't Whitney. So damn dull. Could be gone this week.

David Archuletta- Kid's got a good voice. I wanna slap whoever is telling this prepackaged jerkoff to look at the camera every 10 seconds and squint. I hear he's going to be in High School Musical 4 as Troy Bolton's boy-love.

David Cook. He's got chops. Arranged his own song and it was a ballady type. Still the best overall performer. Neck and neck with Michael Johns for performance of the week.

Brooke White. What can I say? I like the song Jolene and thought she did a good job as a country singer. The way she takes criticism makes me really uncomfortable. Someone needs to talk to her about her reactions to the judges. Paula was right though: "[she]. Is. Brooke. White."

Carly Smithson. Bad clothing aside (uncomfortable moment when Simon pointed that out), she has the best pure voice of anyone. Just a notch below the two guys this week. Hard to dance and move when you're belting out a song like that.

Jason. Pfffft. Heh. Heh. Heh. Du u u u de. Pass the spliff man. Heh heh heh. He must have taken one less hit this week as he was a little more upbeat than normal. Still can't sing that well.

Overall top 3

1 David Cooke

2 Carly Smithson

3 Michael Johns (knock White from the top 3)

Bottom 3

9 Ramiele

8 Kristy Cook

7 Seyisha

Really went out on a limb with these predictions the day after the results were put out. :lol:

Wow is right....that little girl is amazing!

I don't know what it is about that song, but I find myself really getting emotionally involved with several of the renditions I've heard. My favorite of all time is the Eva Cassidy version...it MAY be the most beautiful song I know. Another of my favorites is the late, great "Iz"...one of Hawaii's most famous performers of all time...

Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4XhMANcCbM...feature=related

Another awesome version - completely instrumental - is by Tommy Emmanuel. I just bought this guy's CD and he's damn good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZNJf-h7F8s...feature=related

JA, I pretty much agree with everything you said, with the exception of Syesha and Carly. I can't believe people were critical of Syesha's performance this week! As for Carly, I don't mind the fact that AI has contestants who have tried to make it in the biz before, but I can't get over the fact that Carly had MILLIONS put behind her in an effort to sell her record, and she flopped. I don't really find myself all that into her performances, and I won't be sad when she leaves.

My top 3:

1) David Cook

2) David Archuleta

3) Syesha the Beautiful

My bottom 3:

1) Kristy Lee Cook

2) Brook White

3) Carly

Wow is right....that little girl is amazing!

I don't know what it is about that song, but I find myself really getting emotionally involved with several of the renditions I've heard. My favorite of all time is the Eva Cassidy version...it MAY be the most beautiful song I know. Another of my favorites is the late, great "Iz"...one of Hawaii's most famous performers of all time...

Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4XhMANcCbM...feature=related

Another awesome version - completely instrumental - is by Tommy Emmanuel. I just bought this guy's CD and he's damn good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZNJf-h7F8s...feature=related

Hey. Thanks for those links. The BIG man can sing,eh?

Still the best ever with that song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10w_sEcHlGs...feature=related

JA, I pretty much agree with everything you said, with the exception of Syesha and Carly. I can't believe people were critical of Syesha's performance this week! As for Carly, I don't mind the fact that AI has contestants who have tried to make it in the biz before, but I can't get over the fact that Carly had MILLIONS put behind her in an effort to sell her record, and she flopped. I don't really find myself all that into her performances, and I won't be sad when she leaves.

Syesha is a borefest week in and out. Her vocals are good but not good enough to overcome her lack of charisma (different from the fact that she's beautiful, which she is).

I understand why you don't like Carly but she's got more talent than most of the people left on the show. Don't worry--she won't win.

Hey. Thanks for those links. The BIG man can sing,eh?

Still the best ever with that song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10w_sEcHlGs...feature=related

Definitely have to give props to the original, I agree....and every time I see her in a clip like that I realize that I've forgotten just how beautiful she was!

And yep, the big guy was awesome...I first heard of him only a few years ago, and by then he'd already passed :lol: When I saw just how beloved he was in Hawaii I was really moved. Seems like he was a really good soul in addition to having mad talent.

Syesha is a borefest week in and out. Her vocals are good but not good enough to overcome her lack of charisma (different from the fact that she's beautiful, which she is).

I understand why you don't like Carly but she's got more talent than most of the people left on the show. Don't worry--she won't win.

Carly is definitely talented, I have to agree with you there. I guess I just have a hang up when it comes to her...I dunno. I'd be really interested to know where she falls in the voting each week. Has she been in the bottom three yet? I can't remember. I think a lot of people feel as you do about Syesha...I guess I just love her smile :lol: