I haven't seen too many discussing us taking LB Keith Rivers

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I wouldn't. Last year of Crowells contract. Who know what kawika mitchell we'll be getting. The one who played solid football for the gmen last year. Or the waste of space that played in KC. I'm a lot more worried about that. Then I am about Stroud/Spencer Johnson. It's also really hard to find a lb, coming into the pro's who's exceptional in pass coverage. Which is what Rivers main responsibility at USC was. As well as being a fantastic tackler, with great range. I wouldn't be dissapoined with Rivers. Although I'm hoping for Harvey.

No I wouldn't. Last year of Crowells contract. Who know what kawika mitchell we'll be getting. The one who played solid football for the gmen last year. Or the waste of space that played in KC. I'm a lot more worried about that. Then I am about Stroud/Spencer Johnson. It's also really hard to find a lb, coming into the pro's who's exceptional in pass coverage. Which is what Rivers main responsibility at USC was. As well as being a fantastic tackler, with great range. I wouldn't be dissapoined with Rivers. Although I'm hoping for Harvey.

Maybe

I like AC, but I see him as good as gone after this season. Chalk me up as one who feels we will draft a OLB higher then people think. Mayo is the guy I think we might be targeting in the 2nd (if available). That pick might get some a little frosty, but he would be a damn good OLB in the cover 2 for the future, especially if we don't plan on retaining AC.

Couldn't have put it better... I've mentioned Rivers before as a possible insurance policy on Crowell, not to mention Digiorgio and Ellison are RFAs next offseason... Obviously they will be easier to retain, but you never know...

Anybody to fill the defensive front 7 in the first round is fine with me... Rivers, Harvey, Merling, maybe Mayo...

But the miracle would be to have Ellis drop... Saw the USC pro day highlights today and he looks great!!! Ah... one can dream... :lol:

If we couldn't trade down to take a WR, and Harvey or a corner weren't there, I would never be opposed to adding great players. I think Rivers will be a great player, and if the Bills don't plan on re-signing Crowell after the year, I'd hope they'd have a backup plan. I love Keith Rivers, but not until everyone else is gone. IMO.

I agree, but I said that the year they drafted Cowart in the 2nd (first selection that year). :lol:

I can't remember. Did they pick up a LB in FA that year? We just picked up Mitchell. With all of the other needs the team has, there is no way they take a LB in the first. If they wanted to use a late round pick to add depth, fine.

We need to use that first pick on a CB. :lol:

j/k Bill.

Reinforcing your defensive front 7 is never ridiculous. If we stay put at 11, I hope to see in this order Harvey, an OL or Rivers.

As I mentioned to Bill, we reinforced the LB part of the front seven in FA. If you wanted additional reinforcements to the front seven, work on the DL. Adding more LB's, when you just signed Mitchell, is ridiculous. We need help in so many other areas to use the first pick on a LB, when we addressed that position in FA.

I can't remember. Did they pick up a LB in FA that year? We just picked up Mitchell. With all of the other needs the team has, there is no way they take a LB in the first. If they wanted to use a late round pick to add depth, fine.

We need to use that first pick on a CB. :lol:

j/k Bill.

That is exactly what I fear most from Jauron. :lol:

In any event, the Bills drafted Cowart in 1998. AS I recall, they played a 3/4, so the was a greater need for lbs. This is the 1997 Bills roster. There were some great lbs there, and they all got hurt, as did Cowart.

Don't get me wrong....I am not calling for the Bills to draft a lb in round 1. I'm just haunted by the memory of losing all of those great ones seemingly all at once.

Would Rivers be a good value pick for us if we don't take a WR and Harvey is gone?

I don't know about Rivers as a player but arguably, the LB corps is the most stocked group on the team. I rather we trade down than take the best player available for a position of least need.

Can he bring consistent pressure from the edge? If the answer is yes, take him in a heartbeat. He's a PLAYER! Potentially someone an offense has to account for. Our first goal has to be to win the division. Just like we got Biscuit to get to Marino and the Dolphins of the late 80s (and forever change the balance in the division), if Rivers is that kind of player it would be stupid NOT to take him. I don't see him falling to us though.

GO BILLS!!!

Bottom line is if we DO NOT address our desperate need for offensive play makers our D will be on the field for so long they'll be dog tired at the end of every game while our offense fails to put up points like last year.

The Bills simply must focus on offense or it will be another long year of frustration. I cannot see any scenario in which the bills go defense in the 1st, we just do not have that option.

Bottom line is if we DO NOT address our desperate need for offensive play makers our D will be on the field for so long they'll be dog tired at the end of every game while our offense fails to put up points like last year.

The Bills simply must focus on offense or it will be another long year of frustration. I cannot see any scenario in which the bills go defense in the 1st, we just do not have that option.

Nothing wrong with adding offensive talent, but it's a good bet that talent won't have much impact this year. Realistically, our O will still be a year away with a 2nd year QB, RB, and no TE threat or legit #2 WR.

If you have a chance to get an impact player on defense, especially one that can bring pressure off the edge, you take him. It's that simple. If Rivers, or anyone else is the real deal you have a chance to lock up a player that will wreak havoc on offenses for years to come. Again, like Bennett in '87.

GO BILLS!!!