Lee Evans vs. Aaron Schobel

Adam

Both are good football players, but to see people equate what they have in what they see as the best offensive/defensive player on the team makes me laugh.

Evans may not be able to go over the middle, but he has may a few game-changing plays with his speed, despite us not having another competent threat at WR. Schobel from what I have seen racks up the sacks simply because nobody else does. He is a good player, but is eating up too much cap space. If a team wanted him as part of a good package deal in the draft, I would consider it.

Both are good football players, but to see people equate what they have in what they see as the best offensive/defensive player on the team makes me laugh.

Evans may not be able to go over the middle, but he has may a few game-changing plays with his speed, despite us not having another competent threat at WR. Schobel from what I have seen racks up the sacks simply because nobody else does. He is a good player, but is eating up too much cap space. If a team wanted him as part of a good package deal in the draft, I would consider it.

Glad your not the Bills GM. Schobel is well respected by his peers who voted him to the pro bowl. I think he will have a great year in 08.

Schobel is the Evans of the defense. They have had a terrible time finding guys to occupy blockers, so they can shift 2 guys to him every pass play without much difficulty. I've seen him eat Ogden alive so many times it's almost not even fair. Last season they asked him to change his style because we had no linebacker behind him, so that hurt his stats, but he played his ass off.

I sincerely hope that the additions this offseason allow him to play to his full potential and that the beatings he's taken over the year because guys like Tripplett can't get off the ball haven't added up too much.

And the BILLS don't have any problems with money as far as the cap is concerned...

Why do people need to knock out best players? :devil: Evans has played the last 3 seasons with QBs who were learning how to be pro QBs (which we're not sure if they will ever be). Check the stats on Evans in his first 4 years. They are comparable to Marvin Harrison, TO, and Steve Smith. Harrison never goes across the middle and dives on the ground to avoid contact. He is a first ballot HOFer.

Our defensive coordinator stated that Schobel had his best season ever against the run. He has never palyed across a genuine threat on the other side. Dts in the past seasons that have lined up next to him include Tim Anderson and Larry Tripplett. He was the first alternative to the pro bowl as picked by his peers and coaches (who know a hell of a lot more than us). And before you say it is a popularity contest realize 1) AS is basically a mute and 2) Mario Williams is a much bigger name than Schobel around the league.

:lol: NO!

Glad your not the Bills GM. Schobel is well respected by his peers who voted him to the pro bowl. I think he will have a great year in 08.

Agreed. Look for big things from him this year.

Schobel is the Evans of the defense. They have had a terrible time finding guys to occupy blockers, so they can shift 2 guys to him every pass play without much difficulty. I've seen him eat Ogden alive so many times it's almost not even fair. Last season they asked him to change his style because we had no linebacker behind him, so that hurt his stats, but he played his ass off.

I sincerely hope that the additions this offseason allow him to play to his full potential and that the beatings he's taken over the year because guys like Tripplett can't get off the ball haven't added up too much.

And the BILLS don't have any problems with money as far as the cap is concerned...

:devil:

Lets see...Aaron Schobel averages over 10 sacks per season for his career before this season. This year, a year in which our defense ate ass, Schobel drops down to 6.5 sacks, and now he sucks?

10 sack per season. I'll take that production any day of the week.

Schobel is not the problem on this defense, far from it.

Did the Bills make a mistake in paying Chris Kelsay top dollar and thus forcing themselves to extend Schobel with a few years remaining on his deal? Yes. But he's still a pretty f-ing good player. If the team can find another very good rusher opposite Schobel (Kelsay doesn't count), then he has the potential to flat-out dominate.

Make it happen Russ Brandon.

Schobel is not the problem on this defense, far from it.

Did the Bills make a mistake in paying Chris Kelsay top dollar and thus forcing themselves to extend Schobel with a few years remaining on his deal? Yes. But he's still a pretty f-ing good player. If the team can find another very good rusher opposite Schobel (Kelsay doesn't count), then he has the potential to flat-out dominate.

Make it happen Russ Brandon.

I think people are taking me wrong. Aaron Schobel IS a good football player, there is absolutely no question about that. What I said is that he isn't what we are paying him to be.

Also, I never said that I would trade him for a bag of rubber bands, I said if a really good deal popped up, I would take it. If that deal helped us bring in an Ellis or Dorsey, then I would be ecstatic- and yes, I know they haven't played a down yet.

I think people are taking me wrong. Aaron Schobel IS a good football player, there is absolutely no question about that. What I said is that he isn't what we are paying him to be.

Also, I never said that I would trade him for a bag of rubber bands, I said if a really good deal popped up, I would take it. If that deal helped us bring in an Ellis or Dorsey, then I would be ecstatic- and yes, I know they haven't played a down yet.

I think the biggest problem with your statement is Buffalo not paying him to be just a good football player. Average football players in todays open market would make just as much, if not more the Schobel. Times have changed, players make so much more then they used to. AS is one of a few Bills signed/extended after the ratified CBA. Thats why he looks so over payed, in the greater scheme, his pay very reasonable for a 10 sack a year guy.

If you were talking about Chris Kelsay & Derrick Dockery, I'd be right there with ya. We were forced to overpay for Schobel after grossly overpaying for Christina Kelsay.

Yep. A pretty significant change, too, if you ask me. So he makes this change and ends up with most career tackles and forced fumbles. Amazing what people refuse to see.

GO BILLS!!!

If you were talking about Chris Kelsay & Derrick Dockery, I'd be right there with ya. We were forced to overpay for Schobel after grossly overpaying for Christina Kelsay.

We paid Schobel what we did, because thats what the NFL market dictated we pay him. Top DEs are making that much, freeney makes 72 mil. Schobel was coming off back to back 12 and 14 sack seasons, making him one of the top sack artists, so we paid him accordingly. One bad season doesnt make a career.

I dont undestand why everyone bitches that player X is overpaid when they have 1 down year, but if a low paid player has a fantastic year, they should "honor their contract"

We paid Schobel what we did, because thats what the NFL market dictated we pay him. Top DEs are making that much, freeney makes 72 mil. Schobel was coming off back to back 12 and 14 sack seasons, making him one of the top sack artists, so we paid him accordingly. One bad season doesnt make a career.

I dont undestand why everyone bitches that player X is overpaid when they have 1 down year, but if a low paid player has a fantastic year, they should "honor their contract"

I'm not arguing your point. I agree with it. I'd just like to know by what standards he had a 'down' year? Of course the easy answer is sacks but what about his increase in forced fumbles? Tackles? His responsibilities changed during the course of the year due to injuries and poor play of LBs. He lost a few sacks from his career average but made more plays as well.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not arguing your point. I agree with it. I'd just like to know by what standards he had a 'down' year? Of course the easy answer is sacks but what about his increase in forced fumbles? Tackles? His responsibilities changed during the course of the year due to injuries and poor play of LBs. He lost a few sacks from his career average but made more plays as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Hey, I am not a stats guy. I don't care that his sacks were down- he plays with terrible personnel and a horrible offense. I watch what he does, and he strikes me as an above average pass rusher and a slightly above average overall defensive end.

Look at it this way- I mentioned him because he is a player worth mentioning. There is a reason I didn't mention any of our other defensive end's.

What I am trying to say is that if we keep him he can be of value to us. If we get a good offer we can take it- he isn't a make or break player.

Fair enough?

GO BILLS!!!

*I* dont think Schobel had a down year. He was selected to the friggin pro bowl. My post was in response to the numerous tards who insist schobel sucks, is overated, and is overpaid. I think Schobel is the best player on the defense.

*I* dont think Schobel had a down year. He was selected to the friggin pro bowl. My post was in response to the numerous tards who insist schobel sucks, is overated, and is overpaid. I think Schobel is the best player on the defense.

If not the best easily the most consistent with an honorable mention to whitner